Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Complete and utter Newbie to forum and bikes!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Haza406
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:16 - 05 Jul 2004    Post subject: Complete and utter Newbie to forum and bikes! Reply with quote

Hi all thought its best to introduce myself, name's Harry from wolverhampton west midlands (don't outcast me already). Currently got a 2.0 Ghia X Mondeo, but need something more exciting (although I love it to death). I'm 18yrs old, 6'7ft and 20st (that'll have more relavence later)

As the title says though this is a totally new ball game to me! So after a bit of info on what tests I need to pass and decent beginers bikes. Been offered a Aprilla RS250 (i think it is) for £1350 with a bit of damage on the side to it. But I know I need to pass a test of some kind to ride it lol! Also Is this bike gonna haul my heavy ass?

I'm desperate to get into the biking scene but no idea where to start, so any guidence from you lot and advice will be most appriciated. TIA Mr. Green

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 22:19 - 05 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi im from walsall.

Right then a rs250 is going to be to small for you.

To do you're test's go to nfl in bilston wherer you can do you're cbt and restricted license fairly cheaply their instructors are great etc.

You will then be estricted to 33 bhp for 2 years and you can have any bike you want personally I would go for a bigger bike physically to carry ou and for you to be comfortable like a gpz etc, to learn on.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 05 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy

If you look in the submission and comments forum at the top of the home page, their is plenty of stuff about the test, though I am sure someone will come along and give you some more advice Smile

I don't think an RS250 is recommended as a first bike, they are quite tricky to ride being a 2 stroke and need regular engine rebuilds. However when you get into the powerband on a 2 stroke, well it is fun Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Haza406
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:27 - 05 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the quick replys, you lost me as regards what a GPZ is Laura lol! Mr. Green

33bhp is a sting in the ass, as regards NFL place, stupid comment but I assume I gotta have a bike to do my CBT. I'll look it all up in a second jamez. This really is something new to me, god bless the net for places like this

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 22:31 - 05 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO you go to nfl give the m money they give you everything else :d
they are on the ettingshall road in bilston top people a it isa type of bike a bigger but more commuter stle bike .

Haza406
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:36 - 05 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live about 2mins from them, often see there XR2 van floating about. Gotta go down Spring Road tomorrow (which goes into the ettingshall road) to see a client so might detour down there to get some info. Thanks very much though already feel like I know alot more than i did 30mins ago!

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 22:41 - 05 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go in and see jen say you are a friend of laura's (you may even get some money off)

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 05 Jul 2004    Post subject: Re: Complete and utter Newbie to forum and bikes! Reply with quote

Haza406 wrote:

As the title says though this is a totally new ball game to me! So after a bit of info on what tests I need to pass and decent beginers bikes. Been offered a Aprilla RS250 (i think it is) for £1350 with a bit of damage on the side to it. But I know I need to pass a test of some kind to ride it lol! Also Is this bike gonna haul my heavy ass?

Its easy to be tempted by the fast good looking RS250! But its not for you sorry, you would have to get it restricted to 33bhp and do a full bike test. 2 strokes also lack low down grunt which will be what is needed to haul you around. plus they are tiny things not too suited to your height.

try out some differen 250's/400's and see what fits you best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Haza406
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:02 - 05 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted a 250 or 400 though I've got to pass my full bike test or do you mean get it restricted? As I say totally new to this so I don't know what I can and can't do.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 23:03 - 05 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes get it restricted to ride anything over a 125 you need to do a test.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 05 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haza406 wrote:
If I wanted a 250 or 400 though I've got to pass my full bike test or do you mean get it restricted? As I say totally new to this so I don't know what I can and can't do.

16: 50cc ped on L plates
17+: up to 125 and 14.6 bhp on L plates after passing a CBT. 14.6bhp is a restricted 125 2 stroke
OR take your full test and be restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. 33bhp is a derestricted 125 2 stroke or a restricted 250/400

so an RS250 is about 65bhp, an RS125 is 30ish bhp. so there is no point to getting the 250 and restricting it when the 125 is as powerful as your allowed.

Like i said though, you will have to try out a few bikes before you find one suitable for your height.[/list]

Haza406
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:19 - 05 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oke doke I understand now restricted 125 after I passed my CBT then up to 33bhp after i've passed my Test! Great stuff thanks very much for the info! Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1