Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What bike to get....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

FragReaper
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:28 - 06 Jul 2004    Post subject: What bike to get.... Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Just after some general advice on a 125. Im 17 in 3 months and am frantically saving to get enough for a nice 125 sports bike. I'll get about a grand for my current DNA50 and will have hopefully another grand in the bank by then. I'm trying to decide which bike to get though, and would appreciate some advice on a couple of my choices: Honda NSR, Cagiva Mito, RS125 or an Sachs XTC.
It's mainly going to be for fun riding but i would like it to be comfortable for taking a passenger on. I dont want to spend more than £2300 initally and dont want to have to rebuild the engine twice a year. As far as i see, the NSR seems to win hands down especially for looks and reliability (the model with the newer style of headlamp assembly). But the trouble is i cant find a quote for less than 1000 for the NSR. The RS looks cool, plenty of them about, and very fast; the problem is that, from what i hear, they need ALOT of rebuilds and fixing, which i dont really want to have to do. I think the cagiva mito looks cool, but i need info on how reliable it is really, and how well a pillion fits on. Also, how much its gonna cost me. The sachs XTC i know nothing about, but looks pretty cool.

So, looking for a reliable, 125 bike to pose B) on, looks and reliability really my priority.

thanks in advance for any advice Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 00:30 - 06 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

"lot of rebuilds"

BOLLOCKS

engine are good for 15-25K

get a two-stroke (NSR125R Very Happy )
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:37 - 06 Jul 2004    Post subject: Re: What bike to get.... Reply with quote

FragReaper wrote:

It's mainly going to be for fun riding but i would like it to be comfortable for taking a passenger on.

Still on your CBT?
If so, you can't take passengers?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:40 - 06 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 2 stroke bikes need rebuilds, the NSR needs the less frequently than the RS and the Mito I believe.

You are not allowed to take a pillion passenger until you have passed your test.

You say you cannot get a quote of less than £1000, what type of insurance are you trying to get? (TPO, TPFT or fully comp.) And you say you have a scooter so do you have a years NCB to use now as that will make it cheaper. Also I take it you have no points or anything on your license? All of these are factors in how much your insurance will cost.

FragReaper
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:11 - 06 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i plan to take my full test as soon as i hit 17. looking at TPO insurance, no points or anything.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:39 - 06 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be worthwhile to do just a couple of lessons to get you upto test standard. THe fact you've been on the roads will be helpful in some ways, but it can also mean you've gotten into some bad habits on the roads. A lesson/ assessment will be able to let you know if you're upto test standard as it's a waste of money doing the test if all you need is a couple of lessons.

TPO insurance with no points or anything, do you have a years NCB from the scooter? I would reckon you should be able to get this for about £600 but the best bet is to use Dannys Insurance Finding Service as he will get you the lowest quote around, and if he can't get it lower than what you have then you don't pay a penny so nothing too lose really.

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:43 - 06 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you will be doing your full test I would suggest (this is just my opinion) getting a bigger capacity bike, will make taking passengers a lot easier, I don't think I know of any good two up 125s, but that is just my opinion.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1