Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cleaning your chain?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 06 Jul 2004    Post subject: Cleaning your chain? Reply with quote

Right, I had new chain and sprockets fitted 4,000 miles ago on my GS,
And the chain and the sprocket are now looking decidedly dirty to say the least!

https://homepage.mac.com/craiggiles2/dirtychain

IS there anyway I can clean the chain whilst in situe on the bike or do I have to take it off?

And what do you recommend to clean it as I know I can't use engine degreaser as I've been imformed it would cause the O Rings to swell and cause the chain to ceaze.

So what do you recommend?

Thanks In Advance,

Craig
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 06 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paraffin and a stiff brush, oh WD40 and similar products damage the chain so don't use those Smile

I used white spirit, not sure if that is ok but it was all I had at the time Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slinn84
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:36 - 06 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wurth do a nice chain cleaner, comes in a can that you just spray on and wipe over with a cloth. prolly better to use a toothbrush too to get all the solid bits out. after you've done that just grease and lube it back up and away you go.

for the sprockets just wipe over with a damp cloth, its best to keep the sprockets greased up so they dont knacker up the inner links of ur chain. just as long as their not worn or anything
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 06 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything which will evaporate is good. petrol or white spriti are good so long as you let them fully evaporate before re-lubing

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 02:19 - 07 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found Parrafin and an old nail brush does the job well, never really thought about using petrol, but it should be ok.

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:32 - 07 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 1001 carpet cleaner mixed in with a bit of break fluid Thumbs Up
Great stuff, strips everything, even skin!

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 07 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spray the new lube on and wipe it off. The solvent/propelant in the new lube cleans the chain really well. Then give it a coat of fresh lube.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1