Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How many punctures have you had in your new tyre ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

How many punctures have you had of late in your new tyre ?
Never had one !
64%
 64%  [ 11 ]
1 in the last few weeks
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
2 or more in the last 6 weeks
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
1 in 2 months
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2 in 4 months
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1 in 6 months
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
2 or more in 6 months
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:03 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: How many punctures have you had in your new tyre ? Reply with quote

Can't belive it, 2 punctures in 6 weeks on 2 different bikes (400R rear and GPX600R rear) Evil or Very Mad

What gets me is the fact that the tyres are brand new as well. Never got one when I had the old tyres on the bikes, but had to change them cos they were on the 1mm limit.

I think it's time the councils cleaned up the roads.

Just my luck !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gingernuts66
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:12 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a product called ultraseal
You place it in a new tyre and if anything pierces the tyre it seals it guaranteed. I wouldn't be without it now Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 15:16 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh i got one weds. 26 quid and a new tube later Crying or Very sad

But never mind.

Need a new tyre soon anyway.

Im in that annoying spot where its still got plenty of tread, but the tyres just a bit knackered. Tends to have a habit of sliding/locking very easily and such.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 15:26 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something odd is up with my rear tyre. When I first got the bike it was fine for 2 weeks then it started deflating after prolonged riding. Right down to 0 psi in 5 mins. Then after a few days of doing that it stopped and was fine for about 2 months. Then last night I went to get the bike out of the garage only to discover it's completely flat again. Grrr Mad . Looks like I'll need to go buy a pump of some kind for it.

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 15:39 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non so far, but i've only had the new tyres on for 7 miles!
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 15:49 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I never had any in my old tyres, but I got a new rear one fitted yesterday. oooooo
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

jonboy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:43 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProXimaCore wrote:
Something odd is up with my rear tyre. When I first got the bike it was fine for 2 weeks then it started deflating after prolonged riding. Right down to 0 psi in 5 mins. Then after a few days of doing that it stopped and was fine for about 2 months. Then last night I went to get the bike out of the garage only to discover it's completely flat again. Grrr Mad . Looks like I'll need to go buy a pump of some kind for it.

If you get bored with the pump, ultraseal is made for this kind of problem. (as long as you don't plan on going past 150..)
Costs about 20-25 quid for two tyres.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:47 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

proximacore - most likely a fucked valve. Wiggle it and see if you hear air escaping.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also that green stuff called slime, which supposedly 'prevents and repairs' punctures. I should really get some, it's £7-8 a bottle from Heine Gericke I think.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:55 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonboy wrote:
If you get bored with the pump, ultraseal is made for this kind of problem. (as long as you don't plan on going past 150..)

Trouble is that you will have no idea whether you have had a puncture when you ride off down a drag strip for a top speed run at over 150mph.

All the best

Keith

jonboy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:59 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

True mate, but bar drag strips it's not got many drawbacks. If you get a big puncture it will slow the deflation, so when you come to a bend after getting a puncture on a fast straight, it's less likely to have gone completely flat, and you'll get warning rather than a flying lesson. And small punctures will go unnoticed, just check the tyres for foreign bodies now and again.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:01 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre shops also don't like it, as it means when they change your tyres the stuff inside goes everywhere.

jonboy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:05 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep true, but the ones i've used have been ok about it as i've always warned them in advance. It's risks vs benefits really. I only use the stuff in my 600 as it's more a commuting bike. Never had in the thou, mainly thro laziness and the fact that they don't guarantee it beyond 150. And laziness.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Tyre shops also don't like it, as it means when they change your tyres the stuff inside goes everywhere.

Tubed tyres shouldn't be a problem with this though?

jonboy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:38 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't have thought so. Never had tubed tyres on any of my bikes tho.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1