Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ebay scam email: watch out

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:33 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Ebay scam email: watch out Reply with quote

Just got an email from aw-verify@ebay.com, subject TKO NOTICE: Ebay request, please read

Dear eBay customer,

Due to recent activity, including possible unauthorized listings placed on your account, we will require a second confirmation of your identity with us in order to allow us to investigate this matter further.Your account is not suspended, but if in 48 hours after you receive this message your account is not confirmed we reserve the right to suspend your eBay registration. If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of eBay policy to represent oneself as another eBay user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. eBay is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

To confirm your identity with us click here:
https://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?OneTimePayment&ssPageName=h:h:sin:US

After responding to the message, we ask that you allow at least 72 hours for the case to be investigated. Emailing us before that time will result in delays. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you and we would like to thank you for your cooperation as we review this matter.

this is fake, it asks for your credit/debit card pin number. WATCH OUT

Syfoon
TRUCK!!!

PostPosted: 15:14 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.harderfaster.net/images/smiles/suspicious.gif

Its using signin.ebay.com. Not every Average Joe has access to that y'know Razz

fatboy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:27 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing the e-mail was written in html, and they linked that text to www.givemeyourcarddetails.com Sad

Syfoon
TRUCK!!!

PostPosted: 15:33 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who clicks the link in the email and doesn't wonder when a different URL appears in the address bar deserves to be scammed.

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:37 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let Ebay know, and they confirmed it was a scam and nothing to do with them.

iheartpie
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, if your stupid enough to fall for the scam, they deserve your money more than you do.

Thanks for lettin us know though, not that i would give them my credit card pin (as if they could us it anyway!?)

Last edited by iheartpie on 17:19 - 10 Jul 2004; edited 1 time in total

247biker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:08 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they'd probably order stuff over the internet with your details. Notice how it says at the bottom of the email that you should wait 72 hours before contacting them, yeah so it gives them plenty of time to max your card

iheartpie
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true, but what could they do with the PIN? They would have to come to your house and steal your card!

iheartpie
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Re: Ebay scam email: watch out Reply with quote

primalcarl wrote:
this is fake, it asks for your credit/debit card pin number. WATCH OUT

PIN number? Personal Identification Number Number?

I appologise in advance for my pretenciousnous.

daveiw
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a couple of people who got caught like this, card and bank not messed with, but cannot access there paypal money or eBay account any more! These people are scum!!!! I've tried tracking the origin of the mail with a few mates (IT wizards Wink ) and we don't seem to be able to Sad The mail is re-routed several times, just be careful guys, and NEVER EVER give any pin numbers out - even the card issuer cannot ask for it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:47 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

iheartpie wrote:
This is true, but what could they do with the PIN? They would have to come to your house and steal your card!

Not entirely true, they could have a blank card and input all your details onto the magnetic strip and hey presto, your card is now there's.

iheartpie
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats true actually, didnt think of that. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1