|
|
| Author |
Message |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:23 - 05 May 2010 Post subject: Sat 15th May - Ashdown farm enduro - Near reading |
 |
|
I'm planning to do this, anyone want to come play?
https://www.srmcc.co.uk/events.html
Ashdown farm is a little north west of Reading.
Here's a random youtube video of the motocross track, they add in more bits in the woods when they run enduros there as far as I know (seen the markings left out when I was up there to play on a normal motorcross practice day.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEGFIQYOpd0
Unfortunately gonna cost a bit for club and day ACU membership, but still fares nicely compared to a (road) trackday, never mind club racing!
Very much doubt the field will be full of super fast people - they have a 'beginners' class. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| J D |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 J D World Chat Champion
Joined: 08 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:56 - 06 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Im tempted, its either buy offroad gear and get Kdx Mot'ed and insured or buy tyres for the gixer which i need for work  ____________________ m0l0t0v wrote: Chris, just so you know, JD is a nutter
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| J D |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 J D World Chat Champion
Joined: 08 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:19 - 06 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Would be much appreciated, i have still got the ones i got off jay but didnt notice it at the time but the rear is bald right on the edge one side so dont fancy using them, fronts good though so if you have any use for them you can have them. ____________________ m0l0t0v wrote: Chris, just so you know, JD is a nutter
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:02 - 16 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Was good fun.
If you're really bored, there's some random waffle extrapolating the above point below.
Ended up being a bit late to the start and was already dripping in sweat before I got on the bike, running across the paddock carrying a jerry can for the refuelling area!
First lap was terrible - I just wasn't 'feeling it'. Was riding slowly and hands/arms were taking a beating.
Second lap was a bit better and I slowly got into it.
I realised I was standing up too much - not off the seat too much, but too tall which was putting a lot of stress through my arms. Going in to more of a squat position and sitting down more (which does my back in ) got me being a bit smoother.
The course it's self was a good mixture of tight woods, some quite open woods... then there was the bits of the motocross track, including the very steep final hill on the 'open' area now taken backwards going down it - and with a tight ninety degree turn marked off at the bottom - this hill must be worse than 1 in 1, so it's a bit hairy how much you can brake at the bottom! Over all I seemed to be doing relatively better on the open motocross track compared to others (ie they caught me up less ).
I particularly liked the section going across the side of a hill; nice and smooth ground, but with a couple of cutaways that meant you got a bit of air or on the small bits had the front stay level if you kept it pinned while the rear tracked the ground.
As it went on, I definitely started feeling more comfortable, which meant I got a bit faster and as often happens, being faster also meant I was able to tackle some sections more smoothly - for instance forcing myself to power up a singletrack hill after the aforementioned field meant there enough speed to fly over the bumps, rather than stick my feet out and try and prevent wheelies in first as I went up them.
The penaultamet lap I was feeling pretty happy with my riding, but wanting to make sure i finished in plenty of time I didn't take much rest and found myself a bit ragged for the last lap - slid the front sideways in to a tree, though still the only time I dropped the bike was when I put it on a stand at the back of the 'riders briefing' before the race!
Does suggests I perhaps should have tried harder - though I was fairly happy with my progress. Keeping my feet on the pegs more and squatting a bit helped me control the bike and I'm confident enough to open the throttle around about right not to need my foot to kick it back up in most situations. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:28 - 16 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sounds like you had a good crack and thanks for the write-up!
You need to start taking pictures, better still video ... I am surprised a man of your calibre doesn't have a go-pro HD!!
I'd be interested in going for a standard 'practice' type event if you go in the near future!!  ____________________ The purpose of life is to fight maturity. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:01 - 16 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have loads of cameras, but rarely get around to using them.
I was in the garage putting new sprockets on at 11:45pm the night before - I leave the video to the end of the list as, after all, I'm doing it for my own enjoyment foremost .
I've had reservations about the Go-pro in the past; I don't like the physical format (a bit boxy) or the ultra-wide angle for on-bike stuff.
However now I've found the 1080p footage comes out a bit less weird looking and if I keep doing the hang gliding, then ultra-wide 720p could actually be quite useful. But, yes I've got plenty of cameras I could use if I got around to it.
There was a photoguy there, as I was a bit busy to take pics - I'll stick a link up the pics when he's got them up.
A 'real' enduro isn't too far off a practice - it's just there's more impetuous to keep going in the real thing. It's a lot different from trackdays and racing and there's usually similar ranges of skill levels at both.
I'll stick a post up for the next one I'm off too - though doing scooter racing next Saturday and possibly a CHEC enduro Sunday (will have to see how I feel after the 6 hour scooter race - am in a team of two though). Weekend after that I've got trackdays at Rockingham. Possibly something weekend after that, though I think it's Molly's party then. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| drzsta |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drzsta World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:24 - 16 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:47 - 16 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
This was from a previous event, but should give you an idea:
https://vimeo.com/5789083
https://vimeo.com/5802674
Part 1 & 2 of the winner of the 'B' class from that event I believe. A lot of the route we did was similar, but the majority in reverse to what you see on the video.
Was a decent chunk drier for us yesterday too. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jay12329 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jay12329 Dr. Evil

Joined: 02 May 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| silky666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 silky666 Captain Rulebook

Joined: 28 Aug 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:37 - 16 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
They run open practice days most weekends on the motocross track - which seems to be the bit you like .
The singletrack is fine - I make a point of allowing faster riders past as there tends to be loads of bits of space by the side. On this course there's also a lot of bits where the track splits so faster riders can easily overtake - and everyone's pretty friendly about it - if someone really wants to get past, they'll probably be blipping their throttle beforehand so you've got some advance warning, but haven't seen any need for people to push past much.
I will generally try and tag on to faster people a bit - but I know my limits and will let them go when I'm obviously reasonably outclassed.
Single track is pretty fun for the sense of speed.
More of an issue I found is when you find someone that's actually a similar speed to you who lets you past, then you feel you should probably make a bit more effort . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:45 - 16 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| G wrote: | They run open practice days most weekends on the motocross track - which seems to be the bit you like  .
The singletrack is fine - I make a point of allowing faster riders past as there tends to be loads of bits of space by the side. On this course there's also a lot of bits where the track splits so faster riders can easily overtake - and everyone's pretty friendly about it - if someone really wants to get past, they'll probably be blipping their throttle beforehand so you've got some advance warning, but haven't seen any need for people to push past much.
I will generally try and tag on to faster people a bit - but I know my limits and will let them go when I'm obviously reasonably outclassed.
Single track is pretty fun for the sense of speed.
More of an issue I found is when you find someone that's actually a similar speed to you who lets you past, then you feel you should probably make a bit more effort  . |
Meh ... go on then, I'll sign up again!! ... me fickle ... no way!!  ____________________ The purpose of life is to fight maturity. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:18 - 17 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
There's enough cases of it getting competitive - it'd be interesting to see how we compare as you have more trials/motocross experience, but I've done a few more of these (though as I said, I at least started off really sucky on this one). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:35 - 19 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
That's my fastest lap - you gotta keep it going for three hours .
(Or two lots of two hours in the case of CHEC - also found some club offering a solid four hour enduro, though you could do it in teams if you wanted.) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:35 - 19 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
That's my fastest lap - you gotta keep it going for three hours .
(Or two lots of two hours in the case of CHEC - also found some club offering a solid four hour enduro, though you could do it in teams if you wanted - then there's what was the dawn to dusk that now offers a 24 hour event .) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|