Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BCF Bike Finder & eBay contextual advertising

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help
View previous topic : View next topic  

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 16:52 - 20 May 2010    Post subject: BCF Bike Finder & eBay contextual advertising Reply with quote

What's this all about then?
It's an alternative form of advertising, something that is hopefully more useful to users than just random Google ads or "punch the monkey and win" banners, the latter of which can burn in hell for eternity while being molested by rabid ferrets.

Why eBay?
Because they have a very cool API and a decent affiliate programme, and it's something that most BCFers use a lot anyway so it kinda made sense.

Does it cost me anything?
Nope, it costs you nothing extra to buy anything. BCF just gets a small chunk of commission from eBay for referred bids/buys.

I like it / I hate it / I think it would be better if...
Feel free to comment and/or suggest stuff below. Tell me if you like it, hate it, have a suggestion or you've found a bug.

Last edited by Korn on 17:52 - 30 Nov 2011; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 20 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not allow users to 'donate' £10 a year and in return they have no adverts and can make posts in the for sale sections? (but leave the for sale sections open for people to read Question

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 20 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.

Last edited by Flip on 22:10 - 20 May 2010; edited 1 time in total

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 20 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look, that is actually pretty damn cool.

I sometimes like to have a nosy to see what's there near me, takes the faff out of going through ebays crappy search.

Thumbs Up from me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 20 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted to look for bikes close to me, I would - I don't need to be spoon fed.

Then again, you get what you pay for Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

delvey91
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:33 - 20 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant idea i rekon! even though i probaly will never use it haha Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 20 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in 'Kermit the frog thong' and 'Borat mankini' and they both took me to Ariel's profile Very Happy

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 20 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty neat idea if you ask me Thumbs Up
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

DOS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:49 - 21 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a pm in the in box.Please send again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 12:11 - 21 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically if we're going to buy something from ebay, it'd be better for BCF to click through the links at the bottom of the page or is it only for the items that are shown?

If the first, I'm quite happy to do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:56 - 22 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see anything wrong with it. The pages still load as quickly as in the past. There could be something vaguely worth buying and most importantly it is relatively unintrusive.

But best of all it is free. If this means that BCF can go on and prosper then i'm all for it. Thumbs Up
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 17:29 - 22 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't interest me, but it doesn't intrude.

I've said before i'd happily pay a bit annually towards a BCF fund, to help meet the costs if advertising became silly for whatever reason.

I see why you would want to stay away from that type of thing though, too many forums have a kind of tier system of upper and lower class citizens and that i've never understood.

Paying/registered user areas, and custom titles of "site supporter" etc. Does nobody any good. Karma

CCM forum, looking at you Wink
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
Watdafukhappe... This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 22 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting and will be a little weird in the workshop when very specific replacement parts are recommended as has started happening Thumbs Up

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 24 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post up, as I read this thread
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=2514952#2514952
And it's advertising Thomas the Tank engine books. Wtf? Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:24 - 25 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I want to know one moms secret to making my teeth white without having to go to the dentist.

I also want to know how to loose weight by following one simple rule.

Will these adverts help me?

No problems here. It doesn't wait until the advert has loaded up before it displays the content like you see on many other sites.

I am also eager to check what it's thrown up at the bottom of this page.

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:57 - 25 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, I like the bike finder as above.

The contextual eBay ads are largely irrelevant however.

It only picks up keywords in the title, not the rest, of the thread.

With many poster's penchants for obscure thread titles, this doesn't seem to work so well. Laughing

Syx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 27 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudskipper wrote:
With many poster's penchants for obscure thread titles, this doesn't seem to work so well. Laughing

I actually find that it can be quite amusing at times! Very Happy

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 27 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I'm enjoying the ebay bike finder at the moment. Today it's popped up that the local coppers are selling off a seized bike, and there's a motocross bike at a good price. Thumbs Up

This could be bad for the old bank balance. Laughing

CarlosCBR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 29 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like it, found a couple of clapped out cheap projects just down the road from me going off cheap without even searching.

Even if i wasnt going to buy them its still nice to have a nosey and see whats about. Thumbs Up

Pernig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty cool.

What I would like is a link at the top of the eBay part to open an eBay search. Either that or more bikes but in an embedded frame with a scrollbar or something. Would be nice to see more than 6 at once.
minhduybk09 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 293 days between these two posts...

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 01 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just clicked the BETA like this seems new and big and derpy (https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4116000#4116000)
Apparently this was 4 years ago...

pointless bamp other than layout issue, think thats the permissions list though

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 01 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I've realised what it is, didn't close my quote tag now it's fucked Laughing
[quote]

Interesting, usually it auto closes the tags
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1