Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Rear Pads

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:35 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Rear Pads Reply with quote

My rear pads are just about shot on the Monster and whatever was in there was absolutely crap!

Any advice on a replacement? I know it's only the rears so I don't want anything too 'good' that will keep locking up all the time. Also a link to where I can get them would be good Thumbs Up
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:46 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on eBay for a set of Goldfren's, half the price of the competition and easily as good IME.
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:39 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err...

Goldfren Carbon Cermic £12.99

Brembo rears £20

Laughing
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:52 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put some Kyoto organic pads from Wemoto on my DL1000 (sintered are just too much for the suspension) and they're a lot better than the OEM Nissin pads, dunno how they'd behave on a Monster but for £10/pair it might just be worth a try.
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:57 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to know is are the Brembo pads so good they cost double or is it just the badge as usual?
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the goldfren HH, last ok and stop good, i use them on Pan euro and zzr6
If they work too well and keep locking up, you could try some WD40 on the discs or maybe a riding school
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:47 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a Goldfren endorsee but the last set of rear pads I bought had both the braking surfaces fall off the metal bit of the pad Shocked Won't be going there again.
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:10 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Kyoto pads on the GPZ in the past, and I'd highly recommend them. Seemed to be just as good as the EBC / OEM pads that they replaced, and about 60% of the price.

On the other end of the scale, I recently used some cheapo Armstrong pads on the Bandit, and managed to wear the front pads almost down to the metal in <2 months
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:03 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go EBC or Brembo, Last time I bought shit pads I changed them for good ones after a few hundred miles anyway. Anyway what is £8 over 10,000 miles or however long they last,
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I'd go EBC or Brembo, Last time I bought shit pads I changed them for good ones after a few hundred miles anyway. Anyway what is £8 over 10,000 miles or however long they last,


I might just go for the Brembo's and be done with it
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac3r wrote:
chris-red wrote:
I'd go EBC or Brembo, Last time I bought shit pads I changed them for good ones after a few hundred miles anyway. Anyway what is £8 over 10,000 miles or however long they last,


I might just go for the Brembo's and be done with it


I've done about 2.5K on a set of Goldfren's on the Thou, and they're holding up perfectly well, still got loads of meat on them, and just as competent at stopping you from silly speeds as the previous EBC pads.
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question: Do you guys remove the calliper when changing pads? My haynes manual says to do it without removing
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac3r wrote:
Quick question: Do you guys remove the calliper when changing pads? My haynes manual says to do it without removing


I do yes. I cant see how you can do it without whipping them off? It only takes 2 minutes anyway.
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it being a bit fiddly without taking them off Laughing

If I take them off I'll probably clean them too. When putting them back on do they HAVE to be the exact torque settings or can I just do them tight. (I have no way of measuring the torque)
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:50 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I take them off. Not sure how I'd do it without removing them TBH.
I keep the brake lines connected so that I don't have to re-bleed the system. And I'm just careful not to twist or stress the lines or connections etc unneccessarily while fiddling with the calipers and pads.

I changed the front pads on the Bandit just yesterday. Prob <20 minutes for both sides, including the time it took to find the right sized sockets etc Thumbs Up

[EDIT: I don't use a torque wrench very often (and never used it on caliper bolts. I tend to tighten the bolts with a socket wrench until there's resistamce, then tighten maybe a further eighth of a turn.
Disclaimer : I don't claim that this is the proper, and certainly not the official technique, but it's worked for me for years, including the time that I worked at a commercial HGV garage.]
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some calipers you can load from the top without taking them off, personally I clean my Brake pistons when I change the pads so would take them off.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:29 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac3r wrote:
I can see it being a bit fiddly without taking them off Laughing

If I take them off I'll probably clean them too. When putting them back on do they HAVE to be the exact torque settings or can I just do them tight. (I have no way of measuring the torque)


Get yourself a torque wrench. It's surprising how 'loose' things can feel with a torque wrench, when your mind tells you it should be a lot tighter. I did the fork seals on the 595 last week, and as I didn't have a torque wrench handy I just did things up roughly as tight as I thought they should be. When I popped back in the morning, pretty much everything I'd 'nipped' up the night before was over-tightened, including my caliper bolts.

One of the main reasons people fcuk threads, things get tightened far more than they actually need to be.
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.27 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 100.8 Kb