Triumph TT600 tidy up

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:
It is normal for these bikes to sound a bit agricultural.

I love this phrase Thumbs Up

I cant wait to pick it up from the garage and start cleaning and beautifying it, I have a big box of stuff ready to go.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 21 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update - generator cover is sorted but the generator itself is shagged. A new one is massively out of my budget so does anyone know of someone who is either breaking a tt600 (or bike with the same gen) or who can rewind them?

I've checked eBay and wemoto and coming up with very little. I may have bought a pup Sad

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 21 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Jack Lilley can get them rewound for about £200. Otherwise, a new one is around £400.

The speed four stators are identical and offer better output. Daytona 600 stators should be identical too.

If your stator is shagged, then your reg/rec will most likely be too. So factor the cost of one of those in too.

Here's something I knicked off Triumph Rat on how to test your system:

1) Charge the battery overnight (7~12 hours), not to exceed 24 hours. Being a bike you should charge at a very low rate, like 1-2 amps. You may exceed 24 hours if you are using a ‘smart charger’.
2) Disconnect charger and allow battery to stand for 30 minutes to an hour. Check the battery voltage with a digital voltmeter. The voltage should be around 13.3~13.5. If the voltage is less than 12.5, replace the battery.
3) Install known good battery into bike and start engine. After warm-up, bring engine speed up to 5000 rpm and measure the battery voltage at the same time (DC or DCV setting on your voltmeter). The voltage should be about 14~14.5 volts. If the voltage is greater than 15, the problem is most likely the rectifier/regulator. If the voltage is less than 13.5, then it’s either the alternator (stator coil) or the rectifier/regulator, or possibly even both.
3a) SIDE NOTE: A problem that seems to occur with sportbikes rather frequently is the 3-terminal stator coil connection fails and the resultant heat from the I*R drop melts the connector. In addition, the red-wire contact on the rectifier/regulator connector also has a history of oxidation/corrosion. Be sure to check these, clean them and use new dielectric grease!
4) To check the stator coil (alternator), measure the AC (AC or ACV setting) output voltage between all three stator leads (1 to 2, 1 to 3, 2 to 3). To do this unplug the connector, start the bike and test each pair with your voltmeter. The AC voltage should be at least about 10 volts AC for every thousand of engine rpm. Test the AC output voltage up to about 5000 rpm.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 22 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand the generator hasn't died completely but "wont last much longer". Will it have still cause problems with the regulator rectifier?

New chain and sprocket will be put off until I have some cashola and will instead get a lovely scrub in a parafin bath. Not much progress will be made until I actually get the bike back from the garage. Hopefully in a weeks time Sad

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 23 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the reg/rec is buggered it can over volt and fry your alternator and battery. If you don't have a multimeter, buy, borrow or steal one and check the whole charging system.

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:11 - 23 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pull the stator cover you should be able to see whether something it wrong with your stater. It'll drop about a cup of oil but you wont have to drain the system.

If the stator has failed due to degradation of the insulation, you'll see burn marks where the current is arcing, or melted coils.

If the reg/reg has fried it then it'll be a more uniform discolouring across the coils.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 09:27 - 23 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling I got a stator in a job lot of S4 parts I bought, I'll have a look tonight

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 11 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I have a new gen cover fitted, generator rewound, oil filter, air filter and service done. Now its time for spit n polish and general tarting up ready for my test in a few weeks time. The boyfriend and I rolled up our sleeves and spent a couple of hours fettling away.

First things first, mug of boiling water and a knife and off comes the old worn out gearchange rubber and on with the new.

https://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/siany_album/035-1.jpg

Clear lenses on the back

https://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/siany_album/033-1.jpg

Yoke protector

https://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/siany_album/034-1.jpg

Off came the fairings to be degreased and polished, also went over the tank and all the plastics. They came out pretty well, I think.

https://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/siany_album/038-1.jpg

https://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/siany_album/044.jpg

https://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/siany_album/043-1.jpg

https://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/siany_album/039-1.jpg

After taking the fairings off we discovered that the fairing infill panel had melted. No problem, someone is breaking a TT on ebay and had the part I needed for a 2001 bike for not very much money. Should arrive next week Thumbs Up

https://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/siany_album/040-1.jpg

Apparently my school has a sand blaster so sometime next week I will take off all the metalwork that needs to be repainted and blast it. Im thinking of spraying them black to match the tank rather than silver. Also ordered a new chain and sprocket set, double bubble screen and some fairing bolts. I still have my new footpegs and front indicators to fit but thats where I am up to at the moment!

Just out of curiosity, I took the seat off but now it doesnt seem to fit back on properly. Is there supposed to be a rubber bit that fits under the latch by the tank?

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 12 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! You've spent more time cleaning your TT already than I have in a year and a half. Laughing

Hazylogic
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 12 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a nice bike Waffles.

A bit of a redundant question, but would you have bought it if you had known you would of been spending so much money on fixing x amount of stuff?

I've never owned a bike with fairings, I've always gone for enduro style bikes. So what's the dealio with sports bikes? Should you take the fairings of and check for problems? Or do you just take it in good faith that the bike is okay?

Sorry for the hijack!

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 12 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, would I have bought the bike if I had known about the problems.... Probably not. But I had set aside a budget of £2k and set my heart on a TT, I had chased down three or four already only to get there too late or discover that they were major lemons (huge fairing cracks covered by stickers, new engines with no reason why) so I did rush into it. However I did buy it as a learning experience and that is what I'm getting! It was under my budget so I don't feel too sore about the generator. I HPI checked it and the guy I bought it from seemed genuine so I will just suck it up and be wiser when buying privately in the future.

However, I love my bumblebee TT to bits! I sat on a few sports bikes and it was either a TT or GSXR because the seating position was a lot more comfortable than others.

Up next: waffles learns how to repair broken fairings and fit a new chain and sprocket set!

Hazylogic
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 12 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it is all a learning curve. I would like to see more pics too Smile

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 12 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most definately, im hoping to get some nice presents from the postie this week so I can get some more stuff done at the weekend. Thumbs Up

And Muzza - the cracked engine casing leaked oil inside the fairings. It took me an hour with a paint brush and a can of engine degreaser to get rid of most of the sh1t inside! I feel proud of myself but im not so sure I want to do that all the time.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 8 years, 361 days between these two posts...

triumph tt guy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:06 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: triumph tt 600 2001 Reply with quote

I recently brought a 2001/02 triumph tt 600 custom bobber.
It was not starting when i first got her home, after a battery swap the electrics came on but no starter click no fuel pump priming nada.
After more research i found out she was used as a shop show piece and sat for years.
I checked my fuses and quite a few had blown or were the wrong amp one of them being the ignition.
So fuses done i took out the spark plugs which were absolutely disgusting and not giving any good tests on the resistance.
Grabbed all new plugs from halfords ngkr.
I checked the ignition coils for resistance and they were fine...just.
I took the starter motor off and hooked it up to the battery and it was spinning fine.
I checked the alternator coil and that was reading fine.
I drained the coolant which was brown and flushed it all out before topping up it.
I took the tank of which was covered in rust and gave it a good scrub with hot water, some wd40 and a wire brush.
I disconnected the fuel pump and gave the filter and all the other bits a clean.They were all blocked up with gunky rusty watered down fuel.
I checked the air filter and it was fine,i drained all the old oil and flushed out the engine with flush and new engine oil 10w40 halfords brand.
The fuel pressure switch is broken but i know it shouldnt affect anything anytime soon.
After a good clean lubing up and tyres getting pumped i braced myself and tried to start her.
The fuel pump was priming yeees. She didnt start straight away as she had been sat so long maybe after 10 attempts and backfiring she started up like a dream and was idling fine.
After a ride i found she lags when changing gear so i will see how she goes and if no change have a look at the clutch plates.
She starts first time now no worries.
I still have to change the oil filter, fit new pressure switch, new lighting and i have to look at the electrical connections as the speedo cuts out above 30 and jumps when i press the horn which doesn't work.Also the lights dont dip or have high beams the brake lights are fine and the brakes sharp but i will bleed the brakes and put new fluid in and maybe do a brake rebuild.
I will keep you updated.
If anyone has any ideas on the lagging please jump in
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2