|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Crazy Assed Goose |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Crazy Assed Goose Nova Slayer
Joined: 16 Jun 2010 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| T0MMY |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 T0MMY World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Jun 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| swiftb |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 swiftb World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Oct 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:33 - 16 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I would agree with Tommy in that a sports 600 is fast enough for anybody on the road. Its all you need but obviously some folk like to have more power for easier/lazier riding.
Get a 600, see how you go on that for a year then decide. You will probably realise the 600 is all you need for a bit of commuting and fast road riding.
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rowey |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rowey World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Oct 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Frost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Frost World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Welshd1k |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Welshd1k World Chat Champion
Joined: 03 Oct 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| gmanxiii |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gmanxiii World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Nov 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| T0MMY |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 T0MMY World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Jun 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 09:25 - 17 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I went from an RVF to a 92 Blade with no problems at all. The Blade was nice and grunty in comparison to the later 600s, plus being a classic, had a little extra in the form of pride of ownership that I rarely get with more 'popular' Japanese sportsbikes. Took a little more thought to ride the thing too, modern day sportsbikes do a little too much by themselves in my opinion, and my later 954 allowed far too many liberties in the regards to the speed:effort ratio.
Having said that, I rated my R6 quite highly as an every day sportsbike and I'm growing quite fond of my 675.
Couldn't have a collection without a 400 in there somewhere though. After a little over a year on my first Blade, I swapped it back for another NC30.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 09:27 - 17 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
From a 400cc I went to a 650cc.
Remember that the throttle goes two ways, and its you that makes the decision which way it goes.  ____________________ Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Crazy Assed Goose |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Crazy Assed Goose Nova Slayer
Joined: 16 Jun 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:13 - 17 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hmm another thing about the 400 is if I get pulled a lot of police would see the restriction, see a 400 and probably be more likely to think all was well. If they saw "Fireblade" they might think something was seriously up lol.
I do enjoy the 400 and it is great fun, but once you get to 110 it has almost ran out and it is a long trundle to 130 even with the smaller front sprocket. This doesn't usually bother me until a quite quick car decides it will be fun to accelerate as I over take, and things like that.
I just remember when I first got the NC30 coming from 18 hours of riding a 125, my first bike. And every time I looked down at the speedo it was a suprise. Everytime I accelerated it was a huge rush and I was scared almost to go full throttle. Now I know the bike inside out and can guess the speed at anytime, and it is still quick but not scary, alert the media, quick. The bike isn't slower it just feels that way since I am used to it.
On the other hand I still don't ride the bike to its full potential, got no chicken strips* but don't pretty much get the pegs down at every turn, and always think I am lacking balls to take the corners faster, still keep up with most of the 600, 1000s I go out with, but not the ones who are decent at riding. So I feel sort of like I am cheating by going up a bike class, and would be another person on a huge bike that can't ride it too well. I also worry I would not be bothered about corner speed as much since I could make up for it on the straights.
I like having the NC also as it's not very common an people always talk to you about it when they see it.
Can't be bothered to go through that to see if there are any mistakes so just let it slide if there are
pprrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
*It is a 160 tyre on a 150 rim and it seems you can't physically get to the last 2mm on the back. I have been on a round a bout and got the side stand down and still not got rid of them. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Spit-Fire |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Spit-Fire World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jun 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Spit-Fire |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Spit-Fire World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jun 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| swiftb |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 swiftb World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Oct 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:51 - 17 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I reckon its better to introduce yourself to a sports 600 with something a bit older. Something that makes you work to get the best out of it. Yet equally, lets you know when your pushing too hard.
Take for example my 2000 zx6r. Its got the power, no doubting that - it will outrun a lot of the much newer 600 stuff. However, at the same time, the brakes are nothing in comparison to a modern bike.
So knowing that, you wouldn't want to over rely on the brakes to get you out of a situation, so you adapt 'how' you go fast.( Also you adapt how to stop. Also jumping from an oldish 400 etc to the latest 600, the brakes are gonna be a lot less forgiving - potentially causing problems.)
Handling is as good as you really need for the road - but the stiffer suspension (and probably less sophistcated) actually gives excellent feedback, so you tend to be able to feel a hell of a lot more of what is going on underneath you, which is never a bad thing.
Also, the bike is a little heavier than the newer stuff, only a few kilos but you can feel it more probably due to the newer stuff having better weight distrubtion. This means you have to wrestle the bike a little more. This gives (IMO) more opportunity to learn how to ride, and not just be a passenger.
Also, my theory is im more likely to push the bike and discover what its capable of if it cost me £1700, as although nobody wants to drop their bike, its better to drop a ten yr old £1700 bike which I could afford to replace, than a £4000-£5000 bike which would leave me in financial turmoil should god forbid I stack it.
So its older stuff FTW for a first 600 I reckon. Save the cash for when you have a couple of yrs experience on an older 6 then splash the cash on something a bit sweeter. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Crazy Assed Goose |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Crazy Assed Goose Nova Slayer
Joined: 16 Jun 2010 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:46 - 17 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| swiftb38 wrote: | However, at the same time, the brakes are nothing in comparison to a modern bike.
So knowing that, you wouldn't want to over rely on the brakes to get you out of a situation, so you adapt 'how' you go fast. |
Sounds like you need to service your brakes. With the six pot tokicos on my ZX6/ZX9 I have had the rear come up from 130mph or so - don't really need more than that power wise .
The radial tokicos on my 06 GSXR aren't that great either - they've got the power, but always feel a bit fluffy. It's a common mod to swap them out for R1 brakes which like the turn of the century R1 brakes, are apparently much sharper feeling.
The B1H is a relatively 'nuts' bike; it's not that the newer bikes are toned down, but more that they've filled in the gaps a bit, so everything's smoother and works better throughout the range.
Range of adjustability of suspension is intentionally limited by manufacturers so customers can't mess it up too much themselves.
Bikes like the early R6 and B1H are fairly raw bikes that generally feel quite stiff, responsive and sharp when worked. Later models have had these rough edges smoothed out a bit so they perform well and feel a bit more comfortable/easy to use.
Being the bike I started on, I do think the G/J/A model ZX6Rs make a very good starting point, cheap with plenty of power and decent enough handling without getting in to tank slappers all the time. Riding position is a bit more mid-way compared to modern fair, which is good for a lot of new riders.
Crazy Assed Goose:
Presuming we're talking about full power bikes; I wouldn't say an SRAD750 or blade is massively faster than a circa 2000 600 (in fact a friend had a go on an R6 after his old blade and the 600 felt quicker to him), however they are a bit easier to quickly, thanks to the fatter midrange. Gearing perhaps was quite as well chosen however. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|