Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lumpy idle + electics = GRRRRR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 19 Jul 2004    Post subject: Lumpy idle + electics = GRRRRR Reply with quote

When i put lights on, indicators, and brake light. Idle speed goes lumpy, and eventually engine will cut out. i have to open the throttle slightly., to keep it alive

When i turn off the electrics it is better. It seems to be worse once the engine it hot, ie ive been riding for a while.

i replace the reg/rec with a brand new Heavy duty unit, about 2 months ago.

I think the carbs need balancing anyway, but is it right that the electrics should make the problem even worse??? revs perfectly, arbeit a sloppy pick up sometimes, when the revs die down a bit. idle sucks.

cbr400 gullarm. Thank you! Thumbs Up

ps anyone got any vacum gauges. Im in Potter Bar, Hertforshire...

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:17 - 19 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your tickover wants tweaking up a bit. It's quite normal - in fact it's a law of physics - for this to happen. When you switch anything on you're asking your generator to produce more electricity. It can't do this without taking some more power from the engine so it slows it down a little.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive already set it to 1500 rpm. More you say???

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 06:19 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a bit high but I've no experience of the little screamers. Maybe the carbs need a balance?

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer the carbs may need a balance, but when the elctrics go on, the problem is noticeably different... Confused And it cuts ont eventually Evil or Very Mad. The problem is worse when there is a high ammount of electrics on.

Battery charges fine, and starts with plenty fo juice.

Thanks for replys. More help appreciated. Thumbs Up

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:12 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more electrical load you ask the generator for, the more it'll pull the revs down on the engine as it tries to supply it. Couple that with carbs that are out of synch, even by a little bit, and you're asking for the engine to cut out.

Clean the flaot bowls out, check the float height and then balance the carbs (I'm assuming your valve clearances are ok?).

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The more electrical load you ask the generator for, the more it'll pull the revs down on the engine as it tries to supply it. Couple that with carbs that are out of synch, even by a little bit, and you're asking for the engine to cut out.

Clean the flaot bowls out, check the float height and then balance the carbs (I'm assuming your valve clearances are ok?).

I think that with the carbs being a bit out, and the electrics being on, you may be right with your first point.

Bowls are perfect, i had one off and it was perfect, also they were done by a garage, before i got the bike a few 000 miles ago.

Floats are adjusted automatically Thumbs Up . Valve clearances sound ok, so i dont suspect them.

I recon the carbs being balances is the cheapest/best method to use to illiminate the problem. Thank you.

If anyones has more to add, fee free. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1