Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KR-1 blowing smoke

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

tatman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 03:23 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: KR-1 blowing smoke Reply with quote

I have just bought a Kawasaki KR-1 (250cc 2 cylinder 2-stroke) and the first thing I did was take it to the mechanics to clean out the carbs and stuff because it would barely run.

It starts and idles ok now but the right side blows a *heap* of white smoke when i rev it. It stinks like fuel(/oil?)... Also the overflow hose that connects to the casing down inbetween the two carbs starts pouring out either transmission oil or fuel.

I can hear that the left side isn't running smoothly like the left is, but I've tried switching spark plugs and things and that's not it either.

I've tried playing with the idle adjuster and the throttle-oil adjuster but nothing seems to help much. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be?

Last edited by tatman on 09:36 - 20 Jul 2004; edited 3 times in total

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 07:28 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was you I'd stop riding it.

tatman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:44 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shaun. Does anyone have any useful thoughts as to what might be wrong with it?

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem in my bike where it was allways running on oue cylinder and pissing fuel out of the breather pipe on one of the carbs. The old man told me the float needles were stuck. he shut it off and bannged the carbs a few times with the nadle of a hammer and the thing was fine from then on.

as yours is a sporty 2 stroke it may be that the piston/cylinder is borked and it needs a rebuild.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:21 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap the carbs as frosty said. If that fails to work, clean the jets, should be very easy on that bike.
If it still runs bad, check the compression.

Is it a liquid cooled engine? If it is, have a look in the coolant resevoir and see if there is any oil in the coolant. White smoke is indicative of a blown head gasket, and coolant getting into the combustion chamber. If theres enough of it getting in, it can also stop combustion from happening - so what is getting kicked out of the exhaust is steam and unburnt fuel, which would account for the smell of unburnt fuel.

Luckily its a 2 stroke. A head gasket is dead easy to change.

tatman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:26 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll give the carb a good knock in the morning, I hope that's all it is Smile

Yes, it's water cooled but I couldn't see any oil in the water.

What would cause the liquid (fuel/oil) to be pouring out of the breather tube- pressure escaping out of the cylinder? Would that mean it's the gasket or crankcase seal? I hope it's neither of those because I'd be a little over my head trying to fix them!

The cylinder *does* fire, just splutters rather than firing smoothly like the left side does.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:38 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it loosing coolant?

It certainly sounds like its not firing properly on one cylinder. Try a compression test.

I assume the breather is for the gearbox, so it could just be clogged.

tatman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:33 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, it's not loosing coolant, the radiator was still full to the brim when I last checked. What would be getting clogged to make the gearbox oil come out the breather? That couldn't be also getting into the cylinder could it?

Thanks very much for your help so far btw, I've had a fair bit of experience working on cars but nothing on bikes so it all helps!

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:25 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gearbox oil could just be overfilled, and it could have more than one breather. Make sure they are all clear, and change the oil for good measure.

If its not loosing coolant, thats good. Do a compression test (compression testers cost about 25 quid), and see how it is there. Also check you have fuel getting to the carbs and clean jets.

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:49 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

kr1, white smoke, pants running.
It's blown up!

When was it last rebuilt?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can swap the carbs, try that as that will eliminate them. Lots of white smoke sounds like the crank seals are going. Moniter the gearbox oil level to see if any is being sucked into the crankcase. Leaky crank seals also cause the gear oil to turn mucky.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 21:50 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kr1 has only one crank breather pipe and is under the carbs, what is the bikes milage Question l have just started rebuilding mine at 10,000 due to the common fault of the kr1 which is the piston rings love to pop out and trash the barrel as seen in pic Embarassed and mine was running just like yours before it blew
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:14 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I suspect that the oil seal on the clutch side of the engine is shot. This is allowing the engine to draw in gearbox oil on the right hand side (hence the smoke from that exhaust), and also pressurising the gearbox (hence blowing out of the breather hose).

Don't know how easy this is to fix on the KR1.

All the best

Keith

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 00:18 - 21 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

oil seal replacement reqiures the a full bottom end strip down Embarassed, according to my kr1 service manual
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

tatman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:55 - 21 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, if the right piston ring had popped out it wouldn't still be firing would it?

I guess the oil seal on the clutch side of the engine sounds like a very logical explanation. If it *is* this I'm going to have to pay $$$ for a mechanic Sad

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:02 - 21 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find it makes better economic sense to just sell the bike as is now. I assume you paid around 1k for it, a full bottom end strip would cost a few hundred.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:13 - 21 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatman wrote:
Hmm, if the right piston ring had popped out it wouldn't still be firing would it?

Probably not, and on a 2 stroke the piston rings are not really going to make much difference to the amount of smoke put out by the engine.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1