Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying a 125 to pass my test

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

AceRimmer
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:38 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Buying a 125 to pass my test Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Ive decided after a few years of not having a bike to buy one and do my test. I had a bike when I was 16 for a year and got rid of it when I got a car. Im now 21 and ive turned into abit of a nancy, I want a bike but feel abit apprehensive about getting one. Ive got a couple of questions I would like answering

Im thinking of buying a Honda XR 125L. Its £1800 Shocked (I have some money saved which im not using so thought I might aswell get a nice bike), its done few miles only 6 months old.

Is it a good bike?

Will I be able to get some good money back in 6 months / 1 year?

How much will insurance be?

How is driving on the road with a 125, do other road users respect/look out for your or is it dangerous?

Your thoughts on these would be appreciated, cheers.

Peat
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:38 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: 125 Reply with quote

Hi,

don't know about the bike you are considering but here's my experience of my current 125...

Bought a Suzuki gn125 just after completing my CBT. Spent £1350 on a 2002 model with 2k miles. It's been great for pottering round London and I've even been to Brum and back for a weekend. Once I left London I was surprised to see that I got the "Biker Nod" from pretty much every biker on the road which was a pleasant surprise (I thought 125s were below that Wink) - you don't get the "Biker Nod" at all in London, not even on a big bike!

Anyway, the 125 has been great for the 4-5 months I've had it. although it's about as quick as, well, a not very fast thing!

As for being given respect etc. on the road, that's all down to how you ride. Take control of the road as you would a big bike, you have as much right to be there as everyone else and you shouldn't be holding up traffic (not inner city anyway).

And finally, I was going to sell the bike privately cause I thought trade in value would be ridiculously low, but they've offered me £1200 against a £2500 Suzuki Bandit so I'm well pleased.

Hope that helps...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 16:47 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a fairly good choice of bike for just starting out, although does seem quite expensive.

This site has a couple of cheaper ones on it, but won't let me link to the individual ads.
https://www.thegumtree.com/cgi-bin/frame.pl?content_url=http%3A//www.thegumtree.com/london/95_1.html

In my experience car drivers don't tend to be very good at seeing motorcycles. Confused

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Re: Buying a 125 to pass my test Reply with quote

AceRimmer wrote:

How is driving on the road with a 125, do other road users respect/look out for your or is it dangerous?

Imagine riding a pushbike on the motorway, now your getting the idea Wink

If your 21 why not do a DAS. you do a CBT first, then they take you through all the theory, put you on a big bike, give you lessons for a few days, then you do your test. ITs assumed when you go onto a DAS that you know nothing, then they build up your confidence and teach all you need to know.

It would cost around £400 but would be cheaper int he long run.

to ride a 125 you would just have to do a £95 CBT then ride on L plates. the main difference being that a CBT expires after 2 years where as if you were to do a DAS it would last forever
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AceRimmer
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:01 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The bike does seem a little expensive but its only done 250miles and is an '03 so maybe about the price it should be, im waiting to see how much insurance is and might make an offer on the bike. If I can get back a similar price and only loose abit itll be ok. If a 1982 Honda XL is still worth £500 I cant see it dropping alot Very Happy .

I thought about going for Direct Access but decided Id like to ride around abit so gonna go the 125 route.

I suppose in some ways a 125 will be less dangerous than a 50 because you get in the way with a 50, but 125's are faster. I have an old 250 at home so im used to abit of power, it just worries me sometimes the way some people drive. I guess you just have to take more care on a bike and think more about what other people are doing.

AceRimmer
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:14 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to buy the bike, it set me back 1700 as I haggled the price down. Its only 5 months old and done 280 miles so I am happy with the deal. I did a HPI and it all came back good.

Here she is

https://www.motorbikes.be/motorbike/3795/indexk.jpg

My next step will be insurance and a cbt. I got a quote of 350 Shocked for full comp insurance, i was suprised seeing as though last time it was only 20 pounds Very Happy

How much are cbts these days?

I look forwards to been back on the road nodding at fellow bikers, hopefully with a bit more credability this time, and ill be able to go faster than those damn hairdryer on wheels - derbi senders

Bagpuss
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 11 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT and bought a Yamaha SR125 to learn on cost me £575 on a 98 R reg.

I've done about 400 miles since getting it and my experience is it is fine on small roads with speed limits up to 50mph but get onto a dual carriage way and you have to give it some, it feels like its gonna blow and it doesn't feel at all safe. Almost got blown off the road in a crosswind today as well.

It will serve its purpose as a cheap bike to learn and gain confidence on and I'm sure I can shift it for the same as I paid for it.

I'm planning on doing my DAS asap and shifting up to something which is able to keep up and hopefully will feel a bit more substantial.

AceRimmer
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:45 - 21 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT this morning all was good apart from getting stung by a wasp while I was doing it Embarassed . So see ya'll out on the roads. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 284 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1