Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Next step up from a 400?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

BelleBot
Nova Slayer



Joined: 03 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:07 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Next step up from a 400? Reply with quote

I crashed my CB-1 last week, having only just been able to check it out yesterday (I've been in and out of hospital until now) I've realised it's unlikely she'll ever get back on the road.

The costs of parts to repair the damage will exceed what I paid for the bike in the first place, and that's not including garage bills and repairing the cosmetic damage. So I'll probably break the bike and see what I can get.

So now I'm looking at replacement bikes, not quite sure what to go for. It'll mainly be used at weekends, occasional commuting and holidays, so I want something that won't leave me aching after 100 miles. I'm tempted to go for a faired bike this time, but I also want something light, preferably under 200kg as I'm only little, but seat height isn't too much of an issue, I can flat foot most bikes.

So far I'm considering an SV650, CBR600FS, Daytona 600, Hornet 600.
Any other suggestions?

Also will something like a Daytona be too big a jump from a 400? Around 50bhp to over 100bhp. Or should I stop being wussy in my thinking and get whatever the hell I like and hope I don't kill myself.
____________________
Current Bike: 2004 SV650S
Old Bike: 1989 Honda CB-1 - crashed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

truslack
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fancy a hand with the 400, I'm local and decent mates with a few local mechanics - can do most of the labour between us for nought - just parts.

I guess you're the same person I saw on twitter? Laughing

Gimme a pm if you're interested.
____________________
Current: Suzuki RG 125 Gamma, Honda H100, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Suzuki SV650 (minitwin)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:28 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you crash?
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: Next step up from a 400? Reply with quote

While it's a reasonable size jump, it's probably still more about the ease of going quickly when you're talking a 600.
So it's back to your self control. I think the SV wouldn't be that significant an 'upgrade' really; not a fan of hornets myself.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BelleBot
Nova Slayer



Joined: 03 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:35 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the offer Truslack, unfortunately the problem is the parts. Finding replacement clocks will be a nightmare, they seem to be like gold dust, and from what I've read on the CB-1 forums not many people have has success fitting clocks from other bikes. I have seen some which look the same on ebay, but I'm disinclined to spend over £100 on clocks from Hong Kong when there's no guarantee they'll fit. The rest of it is far more doable, but I don't think it's worth the money at the end of the day. I only paid £400 for it, and I've spent the same again on it getting it road worthy.

Plus the suspension needs replacing, that was going to be done this winter but it's all just going to end up miles too expensive. Confused

Ah well, it's currently still sitting in the garage if you fancy having another gander at it as I know you've already seen it a few times despite never having met me.
____________________
Current Bike: 2004 SV650S
Old Bike: 1989 Honda CB-1 - crashed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:41 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from around 50bhp to 100bhp with out any problem, I was used to the extra power in within a few days, and until then it only goes as fast as you make it!
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stonesie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: Next step up from a 400? Reply with quote

BelleBot wrote:

So far I'm considering an SV650, CBR600FS, Daytona 600, Hornet 600.
Any other suggestions?


Glad to hear that you are on the mend and staying on 2 wheels Thumbs Up


How about a 600 bandit? or a Yamaha Thundercat?

Sorry for including my own DAS short list there (the SV650 is on there too)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BelleBot
Nova Slayer



Joined: 03 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:55 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost the front end coming off a roundabout in heavy rain. The police later said there was a rather large diesel spill on the road which I couldn't have missed, so that was most likely the cause. I was only doing around 20mph, much slower than usual. Ah well. I'm fine now, I was in full gear so came away with just a fractured elbow and badly bruised pelvis and a brief hospital stay.

I'm surprised how damaged the bike is, I thought it'd be a few dents and scratches and needing new levers. But apparently not. If parts were easier to find I'd repair it, but given it's an old bike and grey import, it's not worth the hassle especially as I'm moving next week so will no longer have access to a garage.

I'm ruling out bandits as they just seem too bulky and heavy (I know it's only about 20kg difference). Not really considered a Thundercat, my neighbour had one and was very happy with it, so I might have a look into them.

Oh forgot to mention I'll have a budget of around £2k as I'm selling my car so I'll use the money from that.
____________________
Current Bike: 2004 SV650S
Old Bike: 1989 Honda CB-1 - crashed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:25 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Annelise Hesme in your avatar? I adore that woman, I wanted to marry her when I saw those Renault Clio Adverts, especially when she wrinkled her nose after the bloke says 'Ssshakespeare. Wub
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:22 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from an NC29 to a TLR1000.

A bike only goes as fast as you want it to. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:09 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a zxr400 to a cbr600f3 (for sale btw).

Its a reasonable increase in power.
I say go for the cbr mate.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:14 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

BelleBot wrote:
Finding replacement clocks will be a nightmare, they seem to be like gold dust


Just fit a bicycle speedo. My enduro bike has one Surprised
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BelleBot
Nova Slayer



Joined: 03 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:18 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Is that Annelise Hesme in your avatar? I adore that woman, I wanted to marry her when I saw those Renault Clio Adverts, especially when she wrinkled her nose after the bloke says 'Ssshakespeare. Wub

No that's me I'm afraid. Embarassed

I ride like a little old granny anyway, so perhaps a huge jump in power won't be too much problem providing I give myself time to get to know the throttle.
____________________
Current Bike: 2004 SV650S
Old Bike: 1989 Honda CB-1 - crashed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:33 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 600 wont be an issue, go for it Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blackwolf
Burgerfist



Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:35 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Least your ok(ish)
Laughing

Can I suggest: CBR6F/Y?

Comfy, still relativley cheap to buy. Plenty of parts. Its just a very forgiving bike.

Capable, I've done 2 up kitted out too and it was fine. Crash well Laughing Whistle
____________________
Current: Ducati Multistrada 1200s
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have no problem going to a 600.

Headlight and clocks from a BROS/early Hornet/NTV and probably various other bikes are very similar to those on the CB1. They can be bodged on to fit for very little money with a little time. May require some re-wiring but nothing too complicated that someone competent cant sort in half an hour.
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Devans
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 14 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV650 or CBR600 for sure, don't worry about the extra BHP it'll only be faster top end really, and you can compensate by not twisting the throttle so much Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:45 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on that note, I have an NTV in my garden waiting to donate parts to another bike. All yours for £200 ONO.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

BelleBot wrote:
I was in full gear so came away with just a fractured elbow and badly bruised pelvis and a brief hospital stay.


I'd watch out, it sounds like chris-red wants to give you a badly bruised pelvis as well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:03 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
BelleBot wrote:
I was in full gear so came away with just a fractured elbow and badly bruised pelvis and a brief hospital stay.


I'd watch out, it sounds like chris-red wants to give you a badly bruised pelvis as well.


No just her,


https://www.ephinx.com/tvadverts/uploads/thumb/Renault%20Clio%20-%20England%20v%20France.jpg

https://olivier.quenechdu.free.fr/spip/IMG/jpg/annelise-hesme_2.jpg


https://www.francoismarquet.com/photos/portraits/actrices/annelise-hesme-229.jpg
I might be persuaded to settle though, if you talk to me in a French accent.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gmanxiii
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumped from a 4 to 6 myself and isnt that big a difference I found. In fact I was a bit disappointed as had expected more and wanted something to scare myself silly with. The SV makes not that much more power than a 4. The CBR and Hornet I reckon are soft enough for the power not to feel as big a jump. Can't say about the Daytona. In short think you'll get a 6 and wonder what all the fuss was about.
____________________
I kills hondas

VFR400NC30 > ZZR600 > CBR600FX > CBR1000rr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Oz.
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:50 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went from a RS125 to a sports 600 its not all that different, just need to be a little more gentle with the throttle and engage brain a bit more on dodgy road surfaces or in the wet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 1.7 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 126.76 Kb