BCF: Bike Chat Forums

hi im new

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

andy_01
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:48 - 24 Jul 2004    Post subject: hi im new Reply with quote

hi im new my names andy obviously lol,, im thinking of getting a bike because im only going to be 16 im only allowed a 50cc so could you help me in chosing a descent bike,, thanks Wink

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 21:53 - 24 Jul 2004    Post subject: HI Andy.. Reply with quote

I hear the Yamah 'Jog' is pretty good...
a dealer recommended it to me as I was a 'lady'...but I really wanted a 125.

Cheap I hear...good little runners...

https://www.reviewcentre.com/review126072.html

One to consider anyway.

Good luck with your choice.

Jo xxxxxxxxxxx

andy_01
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:12 - 24 Jul 2004    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

yeah thanks a lot,, its pretty good but im considering a crosser more than a moped but thenks for the reply i need all the help i can get Smile and i just realized how much i love bikes also when i leave school im going into sixth form then to college to get a degree or something in mechanics Smile so if you can help me with bikes so i get to know a bit about them that would really help a lot thnkas agen Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:22 - 24 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say get something with gears, as when you move up to bigger bikes when you're old enough you'll have had a good start as you'll be used to clutch control and how to operate the bike correctly which will be an advantage over someone who has just moved up from a scooter.

You can pick up a 50cc geared bike which has tax, MOT and is in good enough condition from a few hundred pounds from Ad Trader and if you look after it a bit when you own it and don't make an effort to destroy it then you'll be able to sell it for fairly near to what you paid for it, which will be good.

Hope this is helpful. Thumbs Up

andy_01
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:26 - 24 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thanks ste nice advice

yeah i was considering that anyway but im really stuck in which crosser i want (or moped)

thanks a lot for the advice man im going to check out the link now Very Happy

Thumbs Up Very Happy thanks

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:27 - 24 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Andy, welcome to the forums. If you want a geared bike (as a pose to a scooter) then ideally something like an 10 year old AR50 or DT50 would be ideal for learning. Nice and cheap to fix if you crash (and you probably will while learning) and quicker than the 50cc scooters. On the other hand you could shell out silly money for a moped, and get a newish race rep such as an RS50 or Derbi GPR, which look very nice, are a bit quicker when derestricted than the above, but have high insurance and repair rates, not to mention the cost of buying the thing.

Also you could consider getting an automatic scooter such as the Yamaha Jog and Honda Vision, some people frown upon them but they served me (and others on the forum) well at 16, being cheap to run and insure and still quite a lot of fun, even if they lack street cred. There is also the Gilera DNA 50cc, a scooter (automatic, engine attached to rear wheel) which looks like a bike, but these are also frowned upon by many. You could also go for a Honda C50 step though, but only if you feel really stingy and don't care about people laughing at you.

If I were you I would go with the first option, a nice older and cheap geared bike. Expect to pay about £400 - £500 for a decent old one, and £300 to insure it. Add to this the cost of a CBT / Provisional Liscense and some half decent kit, and your looking at about £850 for the lot, but bearing mind you will get most of the money you paid for the bike back at resale, something which the newer race replicas / new trial bikes wouldn't be able to do. The names of the bikes I would recomend you should be looking for at about this price are:

Kawasaki AR50: Old Sporty 50cc bikes
Yamaha DT50 MX: Old Style Trials bike
Yamaha RD50: Similar to AR50
Suzuki TS50: Cheep, cheerfull and respectable Trials bike
Honda MT50: Similar to TS50
Yamaha FS1: Old style (now quite retro and cool IMO) 50cc road bike

Versions of all of these bikes are about for under £400 and with decent examples ar £500 - £600 and reasonable insurance costs / street cred.

Hope this makes sense and helps a little,

Cheers, Jonathan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andy_01
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:32 - 24 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

it makes perfect sence and is helping me also to chose which bike to buy

ill keep all this in mind thanks

cool need all the help i can get

thanks mate Very HappySmile

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:38 - 24 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, only one reply when I started that!

Depending on what you want to spend on a Motor X style bike you have a few good options.

Derbi Senda's are relitivly recent bikes, they are quick for there class and have loads of cred, damn tough as well and with fair insurance.

Similar with Aprilias RX50, some claim silly speeds (65+) just derestricted, but I expect 45 - 50 is fair from them. However at the moment Aprillia arn't offering great parts service, and are expensive.

The Motorhispania Furia Cross isn't a bad bike and is fairly quick, however a friend had one and it fell apart around him (mind you he was 20 stone) although insurance is good.

Gilera also have a newish MX bike out, not sure about build quality although I expect there quick enough and they do look very nice.

All the above range from £800 ish upwards for decent ones.
Older bike's like the air cooled TS's Dt's and MT's as I have previously covered are better value, but not as quick derestricted. However they are very cheap to fix, easy to maintain, and cheaper to insure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AzA
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:45 - 24 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking on some website what did online quotes www.clickquote.com and it put me up for £407 for riding a Yamaha DT50( 0 years no claims bonus and my 1st year of driving a bike on the road) don't know if that is about average though.

andy_01
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:47 - 24 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet,, lol thanks again,, your really helping me man Very Happy god why are bikes so great Question lol ahh well there brilliant
thanks mate need as much advise as you can give Wink thanks

andy_01
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:32 - 24 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, please post anything that can help me thank you.Smile

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 26 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you however only want a simple runabout and are not bothered with gears, i'd recommend the NRG or Typhoon from Piaggio as these stepthru's can be had for as low as 300 quid. You can ride one of these to familiarise yourself with riding on two wheels and then at 17, change to a geared 125. This is the exact path i've chosen. Plus, insurance on scoots are far far cheaper than from geared peds like the MX, RX or RS 50's or even the TZR (don't bother mentioning that!!!). I hope that you choose whatever suits you best! Thumbs Up Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1