Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yellow Jackets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Craggles
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:03 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Yellow Jackets Reply with quote

How many of you wear reflective yellow jackets when out on your bike?

I tend to wear one all the time, unless I'm doing a really short run, and I'll always wear it at night (all my gear is black... not superb for... well hot weather and night time riding).

Another good reason for me in particular to wear one is my father really wants me to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear one through-out the winter, and if I ride at night or in low visability.

I used to ride with one all year round because I had an accident where the driver "didn't see me", so for a bit of confidence afterwards I wore it all the time.

But now I don't ride with it in the summer at all or if its sunny.

Though I will be riding with one when I go to Cadwell tomorow, cos its a quite along journey and on motorways for quite abit! Smile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 19:57 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigZZR wrote:
Though I will be riding with one when I go to Cadwell tomorow, cos its a quite along journey and on motorways for quite abit! Smile.

/me sniggers

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only wear one if i were on a dark bike in dark clothes in low visability. At night or in low visability i just ride with lights on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:15 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only in the dark, if I remember too.
In the daylight, I want everyone to notice my sexy leathers, not a yellow high vis jacket, that they will still probably "sorry didn't see you" anyway.

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine me ever deciding to wear one out of choice. My jacket is fairly colourful as is my bike, and I always ride with my light on. If I'm not visible enough already then people need to go to Specsavers!

I sometimes have to wear a yellow fluorescent jacket for work if I'm out doing surveys, and that's bad enough.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night-time, fog, bad visibility, and when riding long motorway journeys... but very rarely for general "9 to 5" daytime riding.

EDIT: Also for extra visibility, I'm considering getting some of those tyre valve covers that light up while you're travelling... "Tire Flys" ??
(I'm willing to risk looking like a 2Fast2Furious boy racer as long as it improves my night time visibility and safety Wink )

Be safe out there!!

Last edited by Dazbo666 on 12:13 - 23 Jul 2004; edited 1 time in total

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:42 - 17 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm learning and always wear my hi vis vest, I've watched somebody in a car make to pull out into my way at a junction, then notice me at the last minute, I've also had somebody push me into the gutter on a dual carriage way, because they didnt see me, though his wife did when I whacked the window, So I think I'd wear a blue monkey on my back if it meant I didnt get mashed up.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 22:13 - 17 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a high vis strap, which is silver rather than that stupid yellow, works really well, but i rarely use it, cos it keeps falling off my shoulder which is most annoying, most of the time ive got a back pack anyway which kinda negates the point
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:07 - 21 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there are a lot of quite young peeps on this forum, then I would certainly advocate you wear them if you feel safer riding your bike/s whilst doing so. I'm sure the CBT/DAS people encourage it, as its another form of "safety device".

But if I wanted to look like an Irish navvy, I'd get a job with the roadworks teams.

synaptyx
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:43 - 21 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear one throughout the winter, at night and on particularly dull days any time of year. Not really interested if people think I look like an Irish navvy as long as they see me. What is an Irish navvy anyway? Confused Wink

Inkognito
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:00 - 21 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear one at night time.
I work nights and have to leave my house at 10pm so it's quite dark.

I don't wear it when I go home at 6am because it's not really dark then. I keep my lights on tho.

david916
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 04:11 - 23 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many's the time I've heard the (often feeble) excuse,"I didn't see him/her." Whether you wear one or not is entirely up to you and comes down to personal preference, but it wouldn't hurt and it might save your life. It would certainly go some way to rubbishing the 'excuse' above if you were wearing one.
Arrow Check out www.bikesafe-london.co.uk and follow the link at the bottom of the page to Merchandise For Sale where you can get Reflective Tabards for £10 plus other stuff too Exclamation Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Munday
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:59 - 23 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear one all the time when out on my bike. I am a lot more visable and feel a bit safer with it on. Plus my parents think its a good idea as I would rather be safe than sorry!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 25 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

synaptyx wrote:
What is an Irish navvy anyway?

Someone I don't want to look like when riding my bike Razz Razz Razz

If you're gonna die on your bike, you might as well go with a bit of style.

hellkat
Irreverancies Inc.,
You don't have to follow my example, kids

riktus
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:19 - 27 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill stick one on (lifted from Waitrose, high quality 3C stuff Wink) if its dusk or after, or i know my mum is going to see me coming in in poor visibility, keeps her a bit happier. it sits in the bag i usually carry for the lock, so i have it if conditions get bad. black leather jacket isn't the most visible of clothing ...

bumper
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 02:25 - 27 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

we don't wear a yellow jacket but our gear as got reflective strips on anyway,
but if it hadn't then we would.........

plus chaps lid is bright orange

he brought it so he would be seen and you can see it coming a mile away..........

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:59 - 27 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't wear one at all. Might do, well probably should do if I was doing more riding in the lower light levels, or had a commute which entailed busier roads and more traffic.

Ste

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 12:04 - 27 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a reflective jacket yesterday....
am going to use it in busy traffic or at dusk/night.

On Thursday my A test lesson finishes at 9pm so I will wear it on the way back.

It is not one of my most highly-fashionable purchases of late.....but if it saves my slow ass Wink

Rhino
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:18 - 27 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise I should as I commute through central London, but never do due to laziness really.

clemsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:21 - 27 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear one when i go to work because i have to leave at 5am, i never usually see any cars though so it was probably a waist of money. I will use it throught the winter if i ride, i might be getting a works van so may not need to use the bike. I have a 1 piece leather suit and its not practical to wear it to work so i have to wear jeans, i got so cold this morning i thought my nads were gonna drop off. Shifty
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1