Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Breakdown cover? (car and bike)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

alan0259
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Breakdown cover? (car and bike) Reply with quote

I currently have no breakdown cover for my bike or my car.

Has anyone got breakdown cover for both in the same policy?

Just looking for basic recovery, have tried a few comparison sites but none seem to cover both bike and car Shocked

gmanxiii
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get cover for yourself, and it will mean whichever vehicle you are travelling in whether its your own or someone elses is covered. RAC and AA do this kind policy so i'd imagine most of the others will too.

VFR400NC30 > ZZR600 > CBR600FX > CBR1000rr

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:37 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to reinforce as said above.
Get a policy that covers you, not the vehicle.
Then covered whatever you are riding/driving.
Also covered if you are passenger/pillion with the vehicle that breaks down.

AA and RAC are the traditional companies that offer this.

IMO, based on experience, best get a 'get you home' package as well as they do use sub-contractors who appear to know less about mechanics than your average barbary ape so are reluctant to fix anything 'by the roadside'. They generally don't know what to do with a bike, regardless of how many times you tell them to think of it as a car with 2 wheels Rolling Eyes

Green Flag used to be a vehicle only company, not sure if it still is. Any breakdown cover you may have got (or thought you get) with your insurance policy will be for that vehicle only.

Also bear in mind you can only have about 5 callouts a year without them charging. Also if they're called out for the same fault (because you should have had it fixed after the last time) they may charge you as well.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:48 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green flag covers vans, cars and bikes on their 'personal cover' policy.
Have worked fine for me in the past Thumbs Up.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 13:55 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of bank accounts have extras included for a small monthly fee. My bank has breakdown cover as one of these so it might be worth checking with your bank.

theopj
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:48 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bank ones are a rip off and are normally just breakdown.

I'm in the same boat, car and two bikes and been looking around - Green Flag wanted £140 for recovery - probably cause one of the bikes is over 10 year old (P Reg).

Still haven't decided what to go for...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:52 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can generally just specify a recent vehicle with 'personal' cover I thought, then they should cover you for whatever you are using at the time.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

say this everytime

Autoaid.

theopj
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:11 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
You can generally just specify a recent vehicle with 'personal' cover I thought, then they should cover you for whatever you are using at the time.

I did an online quote where it doesn't seem to give you the option for Personal cover even though they do seem to offer it, so had to put in my vehicle reg's. Might give them a phone instead.

Can't be bothered with Pay and Reclaim tbh, just seems a hassle and worry that they won't pay out.

calyx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://breakdown.insurancechoice.co.uk/compare.php

I am with these guys. Used it twice and very pleased with their service. They send a proper bike mechanic in under 30 minutes.

Willson
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:49 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the bank one.

Lloyds TSB Silver Account offers a basic AA breakdown service, (along with a few other products), but it's tied to you and not a specific vehicle.

For example, I could be a passenger in my mate's van or rider/pillion on a mate's bike and my cover would still count.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
A lot of bank accounts have extras included for a small monthly fee. My bank has breakdown cover as one of these so it might be worth checking with your bank.

Watch out for the bank based ones.
They wil lbe the most basic cover. eg roadside assist. If it can't be fixed it will be something like a max of 10 miles to the hearest dealer. Usually not one of your choice.

I have green flag, set for car and bike. Was cheaper than taking out personal cover.

jaxgals
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:57 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G E M wins hands down

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the AA and it costs me an arm and soddin' leg because there's me and the missus, 1 car, two bikes, and no garage within 8 miles so I've gotta have 'Home-Start' as well, therefore about a hundred and sixty quid a year. The other side is of course if I have to call a garage out to get the 'cage' started they're going to hit me with a bill that makes up a big portion of my membership fee. Another thing is that if either of us breaks down in the middle of Wolverhampton or somewhere that 160 quid's gonna look like a bargain innit ?.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with the AA, covers me on any car/bike I ride.
£11.50 per month Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO RAC is the best one. The highest level of cover is about £160 a year (but you can pay monthly), Covers you for anything that you're driving or riding and will recover you and your vehicle to ANYWHERE that you want. Invaluable if you would rather have your vehicle taken home and fix it yourself, like I would.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking of dropping the AA to join the RAC.
AA have taken too long IMO to come to me, once over 2 hours.
Yet - each time my mrs has broken down, RAC have pretty much been there within the hour, 20 minutes was the quickest Thumbs Up
I understand every company can be busy, but the RAC kept constant contact with the other half, I was left twiddling my fingers on the highway.
Green flag, my folks are with..... Only broken down handfull of times, but were once asked to pay £220 recovery fees to bring the car back from Devon to Portsmouth, without asking us/telling us before hand - untill the car had been dropped off at home.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAC have been the best bet for me so far (tried AA and Greenflag before too) and they were the quickest to get to me, within 20minutes of calling. Most companies now cover the person and not the vehicle.

When you do need to call for recovery make sure you tell them that you are riding a bike. Im sure I read on here that someone called for bike recovery and they had a van sent to them with a car towbar on the back and then had to wait longer for a truck with tiedown points on it....

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
Green flag, my folks are with..... Only broken down handfull of times, but were once asked to pay £220 recovery fees to bring the car back from Devon to Portsmouth, without asking us/telling us before hand - untill the car had been dropped off at home.

Its clearly stated in the level of cover that you have. If you opt for the cheaper cover.
Quote:
Local vehicle recovery
If your vehicle cannot be fixed at the roadside, we'll recover your vehicle to either a destination of your choice or a suitable repairer, both within 10 miles of the incident.

The recovery operator will not have known how much it might cost till they got you back, and its upto you to know the level of recovery you have.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1