Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where do you get your music?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 27 Dec 2010    Post subject: Where do you get your music? Reply with quote

What's up people, the time has come where I would like to be able to get music pretty easily and .... free.

What do you use and is it actually any good? I've heard of things like limewire etc, just wondering if you lot could reccommend anything.

Cheers! Thumbs Up

daz_d_biker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:29 - 27 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Spotify. It's free and you just search what you want and play it just like youtube but for music.

It doesn't have all of the music you might want but there is a heck of a lot.

Linky- https://www.spotify.com/uk/new-user/

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 27 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have heard good things about this spotify..

Can you download the music into your media player or is it more like a listen to / last FM type thing.

Cheers!

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 27 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

nzbs.org
what.cd is supposed to be good, but i got an invite, downloaded 1 album and fucked up my ratio in doing so. I seeded it for 2 months without downloading anything else to try and get my ratio back up, but i never budged. My account then got deleted due to inactivity Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 28 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

limewire got closed down a while ago. the regular torrent sites like btjunkie, kickasstorrents even the pirate bay. search for the album find a 320kbps rip and only select the songs you want.
if you can get an invite to a private torrent site like demonoid you need to make sure that you share back what you have downloaded. for this you may need to open up a port on your router so that the torrent provider can monitor your traffic.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 28 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get most of mine from MP3fiesta.com, though recently a fair bit from ripping Youtube clips.

I read an interesting article while on the dumper at Pab's gaff, talking about the lamentable 'dumbing down' of the quality of music tracks. The standard iTunes bit-rate is 128kbs, compared with around 1100kbs per CD track. The difference in quality, when played through a decent system, is quite horrific. And apparently the only thing keeping producers producing high-quality stuff is the proportion of audiophiles still prepared to spend decent money on kit and high-end tracks.

MP3s were originally created as a way of overcoming low-bandwidth internet connections, the old dial-up technology. Now it's just down to tossers like iTunes being greedy and saving on their server loads and bandwidth. I mean, 78p for a 128kbs track that sounds like mushy shite? 78p! Even my old ears can tell the difference between 128/320/1100. And yes, it does make a difference. The hairs go up on the back of my neck with certain tracks at 1100kbs.

Food for thought maybe...come back the £11 CD, all is forgiven?

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 28 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either rip individual tracks from youtube or albums from btjunkie. There are dedicated sites for metal but I can't remember them.

MattHirst
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 28 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use www.katz.cd for my daily needs such as films, TV shows and music. If i can't find it on there, i just search the couple of warez forums that i look on.

You will need membership to one of the common file hosting sites (i'm on rapidshare and file serve) but it soon pays for itself!

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 28 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz_d_biker wrote:
Get Spotify. It's free and you just search what you want and play it just like youtube but for music.

It doesn't have all of the music you might want but there is a heck of a lot.

Linky- https://www.spotify.com/uk/new-user/

I use we7. Can't remember that last time I downloaded a song. I just don't listen to music away from my computer.

Glenben92
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:16 - 28 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

torrents. why listen to just the song when you can download the full album
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mungel
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:39 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenben92 wrote:
torrents. why listen to just the song when you can download the full album

+1 Thumbs Up

It's not like HDD space is an issue on modern PC systems...

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

Very similar argument as to when CD's overtook Vinyl, which according to many is much higher quality still than CD, but again, less reliable, less practical and more expensive.

Unfortunately, people are wanting stuff cheap, and easy, willing to pay cheaper prices for poor quality, rather than paying for high quality items.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

Very similar argument as to when CD's overtook Vinyl, which according to many is much higher quality still than CD, but again, less reliable, less practical and more expensive.

Unfortunately, people are wanting stuff cheap, and easy, willing to pay cheaper prices for poor quality, rather than paying for high quality items.

Probably higher on the first handful of turns, with a brandnew needle, but after that a declining performance.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, good quality vinyl and a good quality needle is needed, people can no longer find time though for maintaining equipment for quality.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:
Very true, good quality vinyl and a good quality needle is needed, people can no longer find time though for maintaining equipment for quality.

And I seriously doubt more than a relative handful of people could tell the difference between vinyl and CD. The further you go towards the end of a spectrum the more pointy the cap of the pyramid up yo ass. Laughing

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know only a handful of people who can tell the difference in them, though they are sound engineers. Personally, I can, but have to listen carefully. Casually listening I wouldn't no, apart from the scratching between tracks.

I have a box of vinyls but no record player any more, don't even have my seperates system any more. I think that most people are used to listening to music on crappy sound systems, or with crappy speakers, where the source is rarely the limiting factor.
TanacoiusD This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:
I know only a handful of people who can tell the difference in them, though they are sound engineers. Personally, I can, but have to listen carefully. Casually listening I wouldn't no, apart from the scratching between tracks.

I have a box of vinyls but no record player any more, don't even have my seperates system any more. I think that most people are used to listening to music on crappy sound systems, or with crappy speakers, where the source is rarely the limiting factor.

I think the quality of even low-end speakers these days is sufficient to get most people off. A set of £200 5.1s is probably better than a £2000 set of stereo speakers of 20 years ago. It's all down to the bits things are made of, how common they become and volume manufacture driving down unit price. Bang & Olufson are finding it much harder to run their scam these days.

Ears are the most important component. Without good ears it doesn't matter how good the kit is.
TanacoiusD This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are any of those legal? I don't want to go down the illegal/no royalties route, but could do without increasing my CD collection due to space issues.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
Are any of those legal? I don't want to go down the illegal/no royalties route, but could do without increasing my CD collection due to space issues.

None of them are legal. Legal is paying 75p for a 128kbs bit of old tut from the iTunes ripoff store. The important question is can they catch you? If you download from Torrents, technically they can. If you rip from Youtube, no they can't, if you buy from Russian sites like mp3fiesta.com (5c a track), no they can't. Until/unless the ISPs grass you up.

Digitalize
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:24 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTunes store is now 256kbps or 320kbps on the Plus stuff.

I have a friend with very similar musical tastes, who buys a lot of CD's, and I just borrow them and rip them Wink

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

TanacoiusD wrote:
I'd have a decent set of old speakers at 2000 k over ANY 200 quid set of today ... Idea

That's because you're ever so slightly whacko and have a poor grasp of technology.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digitalize wrote:

I have a friend with very similar musical tastes, who buys a lot of CD's, and I just borrow them and rip them Wink

On the "plus" stuff. Let me guess...it comes with a "plus" price. iTunes can go fuck its greedy self. If it was a choice of iTunes music or zero music, for the rest of my life, I'd never listen to music again.

Digitalize
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:43 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Digitalize wrote:

On the "plus" stuff. Let me guess...it comes with a "plus" price. iTunes can go fuck its greedy self. If it was a choice of iTunes music or zero music, for the rest of my life, I'd never listen to music again.

Its up to the Label if they 1, provide Plus music, and 2, they decide if they want it to cost more.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2