|
|
| Author |
Message |
| G60 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G60 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 21 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:50 - 10 Jan 2011 Post subject: Stowing a tent on the bike - where?! |
 |
|
Hi,
I am due to be visiting the IOM for the TT this year and have never camped there before. In fact, the wife and myself have never been camping on the bike, before as its been just been easier to B&B it.
Anyway, I've just bought a Khyam Biker tent and am wondering where the best possible place to stow it whilst we are both on the bike. The bike is a Fazer thou' and I will be carrying panniers (hard) and a topbox.
I work away so I don't have access to my bike right now, but it would be appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction.
Cheers!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:48 - 10 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Best way is to just offr it up and see where it fits. You can sometimes get them strapped on top of a pannier.
I made a little alloy shelf on the end of the pannier rack on my enfield to take my tent and strap it to the end of the pannier with a couple of bungees.
Depending on design, I've seen people fit a couple of rails on top of their top-box and strap the tent to it (actually, I think they were kitchen drawer handles in one case).
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/rbr/63.png ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G60 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G60 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 21 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:24 - 10 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Great pic and thanks for the response!
I'm not sure about fitting the tent to the top of the pannier as its curved and the wife's leg will be in the way.
Bolting some rails to the top could be done. Any thoughts about just chucking it on the top box with a non slip mat and either using a few bungees or a cargo net to keep it on?
Cheers!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| doggone |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 doggone World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lone-Wolf |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lone-Wolf World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Maruchino |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Maruchino Spanner Monkey
Joined: 02 Jul 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G60 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G60 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 21 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:12 - 10 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have to say these pics have given me a bit of inspiration!
I'll get it on - somehow!
Cheers! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:15 - 10 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| G60 wrote: | Great pic and thanks for the response!
I'm not sure about fitting the tent to the top of the pannier as its curved and the wife's leg will be in the way.
Bolting some rails to the top could be done. Any thoughts about just chucking it on the top box with a non slip mat and either using a few bungees or a cargo net to keep it on?
Cheers!  |
Sounds good to me. Give it a whirl. You usually want to be able to get the tent off the bike first in any case when you're touring. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kitty kat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kitty kat World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G60 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G60 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 21 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:55 - 10 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
You might be able to get it behind her. Trouble is you can't get the poles out of that tent, then you could'ver put it in a pannier and stowed the poles elsewhere. When I've toured 2-up, I take my Vango spirit 200 which would fit in the panniers or the top-box.
One other suggestion. Leave the top-box at home. You'll get a big dry sack and a tent on a carrier, or one of the big green army duffle bags (into which you can put a tent plus a fairly enormous pile of other gear), which you can see on several of the above bikes and on the following picture.
This is my bike loaded up for a trip to shetland with my Fiancee. I have the tent in one of the panniers. You'll notice I have said duffle bag, two folding armchairs and a rucksack on the rear rack.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/shetland%2008/Photo24_21.jpg ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phoenix Twisted Firestarter

Joined: 01 Aug 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:53 - 10 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Bungies and cargo nets are a bit like duct tape, with some planning and experimentation you can hold anything together with them. My techique for loading the bike has improved over time but the addition of a luggage rack helps greatly on a sportsbike for tent carrying. With a top box it may tuck infront of the box and behind your passenger or below/above the top box.
Without a rack and way too much luggage, this mountain could be assembled in various ways but was always stable.
https://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/kiowan/Europe%202009/g.jpg
Much neater with a luggage rack
https://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/kiowan/Misc/DSCF1839.jpg |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| doggone |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 doggone World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G60 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G60 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 21 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:37 - 10 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks again for your suggestions, guys.
Stinkwheel - I get where you are coming from, with that pic of your VFR. If I whip the top box off, then not only will I be able to get the tent on the rack, but I'll also be able to fit some chairs etc. which I would never have got on, if the top box had been fitted. The wife has always preferred the top box on this bike as it gives her a bit of security, but to be honest she's been spoilt with it and its probably made her a little bit lazy.
So firstly I'm going to see if I can get the tent behind her arse. If that doesn't go, I'll be getting a 75l waterproof bag. That should still give her a bit of security and I'll also be able to fit a lot more on the bike.
Thanks again!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G60 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G60 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 21 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phoenix Twisted Firestarter

Joined: 01 Aug 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 05:35 - 11 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| doggone wrote: | People are taking too much stuff!
I've done two weeks in Europe with tent, sleeping bag, waterproofs on the back, and a medium sized tank bag with everything else in it.
Mind I don't do cooking when camping usually.
It just needs too much stuff, although morning tea is sorely missed some days. |
Not really, the first pic I posted I took too much as I said, was mainly far too many clothes, only really need one pair of trousers and a couple of shirts although when they get wet and you can't dry them you really wish you had more. The second pic was my recent trip and I really couldn't have taken any less, it was bare minimum for 2 weeks with camping. The cooking stuff takes up almost the entire tailpack, the stove, pan, tea making stuff etc. I also take an electric tyre pump which is a little large but smaller than a footpump and more use with the tyre bung kit than tyreweld. I'm in a situation where I believe bar serious engine/drive failure I have the stuff to fix the bike on the roadside. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tonka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tonka World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phoenix Twisted Firestarter

Joined: 01 Aug 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ed Case |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ed Case World Chat Champion
Joined: 01 Mar 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:06 - 11 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Plenty of ideas there my friend. I've toured both Scotland and Holland on a Z200 with tent and throw-overs and loved every minute of it. Done France, Belgium, Holland, Germany on bigger bikes with tent. Still rallying in the UK now. You'll love it  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| John933 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 John933 Crazy Courier
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G60 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G60 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 21 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:47 - 11 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks chaps. You are all giving me some good food for thought here and I really appreciate it.
Tonka - Whilst lying in bed last night it did occur to me that two bags might be better. Thanks for the advice.
John - thanks for the tips there. I really hope it all works out as I've been wanting to do this for ages. As I said in my first post, we have usually stayed in B&B's with just the topbox and tankbag, but its now getting to the stage to move on a bit and with the prices of accomodation at the TT, this seemed like the perfect time to give it a whirl.
Thanks again fellahs. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tatters |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tatters Exxon Valdez

Joined: 05 Jan 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:51 - 11 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Tent on the rear, though l,m currently looking for a light weight one man tent l can get in my panniers to save on space for future travels.
Best method to hold bags down on the back of a biek is to use 25mm webbing straps with cam buckels, bungees are shit. ____________________ Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| John933 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 John933 Crazy Courier
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tonka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tonka World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|