Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Stowing a tent on the bike - where?!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

G60
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Stowing a tent on the bike - where?! Reply with quote

Hi,

I am due to be visiting the IOM for the TT this year and have never camped there before. In fact, the wife and myself have never been camping on the bike, before as its been just been easier to B&B it.

Anyway, I've just bought a Khyam Biker tent and am wondering where the best possible place to stow it whilst we are both on the bike. The bike is a Fazer thou' and I will be carrying panniers (hard) and a topbox.

I work away so I don't have access to my bike right now, but it would be appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers! Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way is to just offr it up and see where it fits. You can sometimes get them strapped on top of a pannier.

I made a little alloy shelf on the end of the pannier rack on my enfield to take my tent and strap it to the end of the pannier with a couple of bungees.

Depending on design, I've seen people fit a couple of rails on top of their top-box and strap the tent to it (actually, I think they were kitchen drawer handles in one case).
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/rbr/63.png
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G60
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pic and thanks for the response!

I'm not sure about fitting the tent to the top of the pannier as its curved and the wife's leg will be in the way.
Bolting some rails to the top could be done. Any thoughts about just chucking it on the top box with a non slip mat and either using a few bungees or a cargo net to keep it on?

Cheers! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some bikes you can put it over the headlamp, consider stowing stiff poles separately from the fabric assuming it's not all in one.
It is more difficult with a pillion.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha.

All manner of thngs can be loaded in all manner of places.

https://www.moonshiners.org.uk/images/08gg01loadedbullet.JPG

I built a front carrier for the Drifter.

https://www.moonshiners.org.uk/images/bbdrag08load.jpg

Whereas the Guzzi just gets things thrown on it Mr. Green

https://www.lonewolf.me.uk/LWMEimages/guzziload.jpg
____________________
Cheers.
^..^
L.W. - www.moonshiners.org.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Maruchino
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just strap it on anywhere! This is a pic of Kreiga US-40 with my tent strapped under one side hanging from underneath. Get creative with straps and bungees, its within every man.

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs604.snc3/31791_583855214538_222701664_5311440_297542_n.jpg[/img]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G60
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:12 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say these pics have given me a bit of inspiration! Laughing

I'll get it on - somehow!

Cheers!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G60 wrote:
Great pic and thanks for the response!

I'm not sure about fitting the tent to the top of the pannier as its curved and the wife's leg will be in the way.
Bolting some rails to the top could be done. Any thoughts about just chucking it on the top box with a non slip mat and either using a few bungees or a cargo net to keep it on?

Cheers! Smile


Sounds good to me. Give it a whirl. You usually want to be able to get the tent off the bike first in any case when you're touring.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kitty kat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:17 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

my fazer 600 just before I set off for a long weekend in Dorset, tent is in the bag on back seat along with all camping equipment

https://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w119/thekittykat1/Dorset%20weekend%20July%2009/Dorsetweekend2ndjulyto6thJuly200-78.jpg


I also had a tank bag, which is not in the picture.
____________________
Enjoy everyday, tell those you love everyday you love them
Life is too short to fall out with people
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G60
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:34 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had no wife, this would be an easy job!
However, she needs to sit somewhere and so that's why I ask.


Here's a picture of my bike with the luggage on to give you an idea. I think its going to have to be bungeed to the topbox
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:55 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to get it behind her. Trouble is you can't get the poles out of that tent, then you could'ver put it in a pannier and stowed the poles elsewhere. When I've toured 2-up, I take my Vango spirit 200 which would fit in the panniers or the top-box.

One other suggestion. Leave the top-box at home. You'll get a big dry sack and a tent on a carrier, or one of the big green army duffle bags (into which you can put a tent plus a fairly enormous pile of other gear), which you can see on several of the above bikes and on the following picture.

This is my bike loaded up for a trip to shetland with my Fiancee. I have the tent in one of the panniers. You'll notice I have said duffle bag, two folding armchairs and a rucksack on the rear rack.

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/shetland%2008/Photo24_21.jpg
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:53 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bungies and cargo nets are a bit like duct tape, with some planning and experimentation you can hold anything together with them. My techique for loading the bike has improved over time but the addition of a luggage rack helps greatly on a sportsbike for tent carrying. With a top box it may tuck infront of the box and behind your passenger or below/above the top box.

Without a rack and way too much luggage, this mountain could be assembled in various ways but was always stable.
https://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/kiowan/Europe%202009/g.jpg

Much neater with a luggage rack
https://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/kiowan/Misc/DSCF1839.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:59 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are taking too much stuff!
I've done two weeks in Europe with tent, sleeping bag, waterproofs on the back, and a medium sized tank bag with everything else in it.

Mind I don't do cooking when camping usually.
It just needs too much stuff, although morning tea is sorely missed some days.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G60
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:37 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your suggestions, guys.

Stinkwheel - I get where you are coming from, with that pic of your VFR. If I whip the top box off, then not only will I be able to get the tent on the rack, but I'll also be able to fit some chairs etc. which I would never have got on, if the top box had been fitted. The wife has always preferred the top box on this bike as it gives her a bit of security, but to be honest she's been spoilt with it and its probably made her a little bit lazy.
So firstly I'm going to see if I can get the tent behind her arse. If that doesn't go, I'll be getting a 75l waterproof bag. That should still give her a bit of security and I'll also be able to fit a lot more on the bike.

Thanks again! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
People are taking too much stuff!
I've done two weeks in Europe with tent, sleeping bag, waterproofs on the back, and a medium sized tank bag with everything else in it.

Mind I don't do cooking when camping usually.
It just needs too much stuff, although morning tea is sorely missed some days.


My Enfield picture above has everything I took for three months touring and living in a tent. Including cooking. One of the panniers had nothing but maps, guidebooks and comms equipment in it.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G60
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post - oops!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:35 - 11 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
People are taking too much stuff!
I've done two weeks in Europe with tent, sleeping bag, waterproofs on the back, and a medium sized tank bag with everything else in it.

Mind I don't do cooking when camping usually.
It just needs too much stuff, although morning tea is sorely missed some days.


Not really, the first pic I posted I took too much as I said, was mainly far too many clothes, only really need one pair of trousers and a couple of shirts although when they get wet and you can't dry them you really wish you had more. The second pic was my recent trip and I really couldn't have taken any less, it was bare minimum for 2 weeks with camping. The cooking stuff takes up almost the entire tailpack, the stove, pan, tea making stuff etc. I also take an electric tyre pump which is a little large but smaller than a footpump and more use with the tyre bung kit than tyreweld. I'm in a situation where I believe bar serious engine/drive failure I have the stuff to fix the bike on the roadside.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:30 - 11 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G60 wrote:
So firstly I'm going to see if I can get the tent behind her arse. If that doesn't go, I'll be getting a 75l waterproof bag. That should still give her a bit of security and I'll also be able to fit a lot more on the bike.


Sorry, G60 I'm just going to throw this one open to more experienced bike campers. You've said you're going to think about going with a 75l bag instead, which seems enormous to me. I would say go with two smaller ones, but that's just because that's what I did and how stuff fitted best on my bike. The reason I had a separate bag for the camping stuff is because it gets wet and once packed away everything in the bag with it gets wet. I had two 20l bags - one for the tent stuff and one for dry stuff. I'm guessing tent stuff doesn't really need a waterproof bag once it's got wet but it's always helpful to start of dry if you have a choice!!

Another thing that may be worth mentioning is that I was converted to Rok straps and wouldn't chose to use bungees as standard again (I do carry some for emergencies). They're not cheap but they're much safer and easier to use as they are fixed and just clip together.

My 3 week "camping on a bike" set-up (but no pillion!):

https://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr344/Tonkatoo_2008/Ex%20Euro%20Trail/th_IMGP0276.jpg

Phoenix - what electric tyre pump do you have? I'm thinking that on an offroader it'd be one of the better bits of kit for me to carry!
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 11 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually just a Tesco one, a lot of places sell very similar looking ones but they are definitely different in operation. Maplin for instance sell a totally useless one with a guage that doesn't work, doesn't inflate a tyre and get's incredibly hot, same for Motorworld. The Tesco one looks identical (little black one) but actually seems to work fairly well and the guage works to a degree, obviously you need to fit a 12v socket or change the plug on the pump to some clamps to go on your battery but it's a better option IMO than any kind of tyre weld in combination with a tyre repair kit. I carry mine around when i'm riding in England too.

Doesn't your offroader use tubed tyres? If so then for inflation it's ok but you'll still need tyre levers and repair patches etc so much more of a job than tubeless repair.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 11 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of ideas there my friend. I've toured both Scotland and Holland on a Z200 with tent and throw-overs and loved every minute of it. Done France, Belgium, Holland, Germany on bigger bikes with tent. Still rallying in the UK now. You'll love it Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 11 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my bike when in Spain. Last year. I have only done camping once two up. And it's a strain. In the end due to space we brought a second tent when we arrived. As the one we took was too small for two of us.
The problem is with two of you is you have to take two lot's of stuff. Some of the thing's I pack is.
A tyre weld bottle, dead easy to use and small to pack. Will get you to your next place or town to get it fixed.
Two people you will need two sleeping bag. A lot of space taken up with the extra bag.
Now you are going to need kit to walk round in and kit to ride in. Plus wet kit. Once you get all this together it take a lot of room.

Now how to get it all on to a bike. I've tried a load of way's. What I have found is to take small to mid size ruck sack's. They are easy to pack in to any space that you can find. And you can separate them out for different bit's. You are going to be pressed to tour two up. But lot of people do it. Me never again.

Me and my lady friend when we go camping now. We take the car, and even then it's full. Any way I wish you luck in what every way you go.
John933
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G60
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:47 - 11 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps. You are all giving me some good food for thought here and I really appreciate it.

Tonka - Whilst lying in bed last night it did occur to me that two bags might be better. Thanks for the advice.

John - thanks for the tips there. I really hope it all works out as I've been wanting to do this for ages. As I said in my first post, we have usually stayed in B&B's with just the topbox and tankbag, but its now getting to the stage to move on a bit and with the prices of accomodation at the TT, this seemed like the perfect time to give it a whirl. Smile

Thanks again fellahs.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:51 - 11 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tent on the rear, though l,m currently looking for a light weight one man tent l can get in my panniers to save on space for future travels.



Best method to hold bags down on the back of a biek is to use 25mm webbing straps with cam buckels, bungees are shit.
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:53 - 11 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another picture.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 12 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
Doesn't your offroader use tubed tyres? If so then for inflation it's ok but you'll still need tyre levers and repair patches etc so much more of a job than tubeless repair.


Yes, I've got heavy duty tubes wrapped with normal, so a puncture will be a rarity in theory. I carry levers, patches and a spare tube as standard kit anyway and the bike has a 12v socket, so thanks for the advice on which one to get. Thumbs Up
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.41 Sec - Server Load: 1.85 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 139.36 Kb