BCF: Bike Chat Forums

learner

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

tatman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 03:27 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: learner Reply with quote

I've only just got my learner's bike liscence and have never ridden before then. I just bought a Kawasaki KR-1 and have been told by a number of bike people that I'm going to kill myself on it. (I've also found out that its power to weight ratio is rnough that legally I'm not supposed to be riding it Embarassed )

I obviously need to get good quick... any advice for making the journey a little less painful?

Last edited by tatman on 09:46 - 20 Jul 2004; edited 1 time in total

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 07:21 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop riding it get something yu're legal on end of story.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 07:26 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the size of you avatar before I kill you. Yes laura is right, change the bike as you are not supposed to be riding it and nobody likes an idiot.

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:54 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup you might as well sell this unless u can trade it in for a legal learner bike i think tradeins get u a better price than if u sell it not sure if this is true though maybe somebody here has experience in this and could probaly give ya better advice on what to do!

tatman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:49 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've spent alot on it and I doubt I could get most of that back if I tried to sell it. I've become rather fond of it but I'm not planning on being an idiot rider.
It's smallish and rather light, just because it has alot of power doesn't mean I *have* to use it right? I can start off in third gear if I have to...

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:22 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok not to sure what im about to say is 100% fact but i think its close, if u do your test (do a few lessons read up) and pass.

You could probaly ride your bike you have to get a restrictor fitted and get a document in all for your insurance company.

After a year restrictor comes out and your good to go over here it is legal to do this but only if u have passed your test not sure if this applys on the mainland though!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:24 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just ask,
Are you from the UK?

Because if you are then you are being VERY illegal. You are not allowed to ride a bike bigger than 125cc on a learner license.

I would imagine that you are from Australia where a 250 is allowed on a learner license.

If you are riding it illegaly then I suggest you either pass your test or buy a different bike. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:11 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should have clarrified, I'm from Australia. Over here they have introduced new rules whereby a learner can ride anything up to a 660cc *provided* it does not have a power to weight ratio of more than 150kW/tonne. That's how I got caught out in buying the bike and then finiding out later that it's not strictly learner-legal!

As bad as it sounds, I'm kind of more interested in what I can get away with. Most cops don't have a clue about bikes and certainly couldn't recognise my bike as a KR-1 which is one of the few 250's that is deemed non-learner legal...

I'm more interested in my safety than that side of things. We don't have restrictor things over here (at least not that I've heard of)

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as you take off all refferences to its capacity, or even just slap some 125 stickers on it then it should be fine.

so long as you keep the revs below 7000 then the thing should be fairly tame. as its a 2 stroke they have sid all power at low revs but go nuts when the revs get up high enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:43 - 20 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, keep the revs low, I'll keep that in mind Smile

My bike has a custom paint job and no longer displays a big "KR-1" on the fairings which should help conceal things a little. The earlier KR250's are learner-legal because they were under the power-to-weight limit, so a cop would really have to know his bikes to pick me out...
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:14 - 22 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
...change the bike as you are not supposed to be riding it and nobody likes an idiot.

And how about your 100+bhp bike on your 33bhp license?

Pot, kettle, black...

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 22 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with it, two stroke 250's, especially the KR-1 can be a bit of a handful. They are twitchy little things that are knocking on a bit in age now and don't have the best handling and brakes.

250 sports were all built with GP aspirations and can be very focussed. They don't do a hell of a lot until revved but as a new and inexperienced rider you could quite easily find yourself in trouble fast.

It's a shame that you have the bike at this stage of your biking life as you would benefit more from something a bit easier to get along with. Then as you get more experience and time passes something like the KR-1 becomes something that quite fancy again, but more of a Sunday afternoon toy than daily transport.

Good luck and take it easy.

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 22 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
Shaun wrote:
...change the bike as you are not supposed to be riding it and nobody likes an idiot.

And how about your 100+bhp bike on your 33bhp license?

Pot, kettle, black...

Exactly what I was thinking...but I didn't want to be the first one to say it!

tatman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:39 - 08 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I have taken it for a few runs and I *love* it. It's alot easier to ride than the bike I learnt on (Honda CB250), handling and breaks are great and it has more than enough power and torque to last me for a long time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1