Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lost my bike key, what the hell do I do!?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:25 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Lost my bike key, what the hell do I do!? Reply with quote

It's my only key, tried getting it cut many times, but no where does it, none of them accept my key for some reason. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I've had to leave my bike at college, hope it doesn't get nicked Sad the steering lock is on, and obviously without that key I can't start it, what do I honestly do? Rolling Eyes

Been about 2 years, and I've never lost it, until now. I've re-traced my footsteps around town, asked in stores I've been in, all my tutors at college... no luck, its basically gone, just need to know what the fuck I do now?

I'd highly appreciate any help, I need the bike for college on Friday and work this weekend!

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

How easy is it to change the ignition barrel? I was thinking about this earlier for my bike, its just a case of taking clocks off, unscrew face, unscrew barrel, unplug and install a new one Shocked makes stealing it look easy...

fiery tupp
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:49 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get a van to it asap , then sort the key when its safely home Neutral

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:51 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... a thief doesnt need a key, neither should you Razz

If its the XRX, barrel just smashes out Wink unsure how to solve the steering lock bar breaking it.

Some people can get a key from using your barrel as a mould...hard to find though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:51 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Ignition locks are normally held on with sheer bolts. The heads sheer off when tightened up just leaving a round part of the head that convention spanners / sockets will not remove.

To the OP. Getting the lock off will be difficult, same for the petrol cap and seat lock. You might be able to find a local mobile locksmith who can cut a key to the lock, but don't expect it to be cheap.

Replacing the locks will be more expensive (£200 wouldn't surprise me for a lock set) and will mean removing the existing locks.

If you are very lucky then you might be able to find a number on the ignition barrel and find someone who can cut a key to that number (note that the petrol tank and seat locks usually have less tumblers, and an ignition key will turn them but a key cut just for them will not turn on the ignition).

All the best

Keith

Ingah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Ignition locks are normally held on with sheer bolts. The heads sheer off when tightened up just leaving a round part of the head that convention spanners / sockets will not remove.

To the OP. Getting the lock off will be difficult, same for the petrol cap and seat lock. You might be able to find a local mobile locksmith who can cut a key to the lock, but don't expect it to be cheap.

Replacing the locks will be more expensive (£200 wouldn't surprise me for a lock set) and will mean removing the existing locks.

If you are very lucky then you might be able to find a number on the ignition barrel and find someone who can cut a key to that number (note that the petrol tank and seat locks usually have less tumblers, and an ignition key will turn them but a key cut just for them will not turn on the ignition).

All the best

Keith

When i had my CB500 ignition switch replaced, it was only ~£30 for a pattern one.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:18 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

He is going to need the full set though, not just the ignition. Probably an ignition switch pattern, maybe a fuel cap but probably not a seat lock.

And the cheap pattern switches I have had have been pretty horrible.

All the best

Keith

froggy128
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this happen in the city center ended up just hammering the ignition until it would turn and start so I could get the bike home and then sort out a new ignition barrel.

If the number is on the barrel you should be able to get a key cut to it.

lonie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:16 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the bike ahave a kickstart?

if so unplug the barrel and kick it over and it should start you will not have any electrics though :/ so do it in daylight and if you get stoped then expain to the officer (nake sure you taake the cdocuments with you

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonie wrote:

if so unplug the barrel and kick it over and it should start you will not have any electrics though :/ so do it in daylight and if you get stoped then expain to the officer (nake sure you taake the cdocuments with you

That will only work on bikes where the ignition switch just grounds the coil to earth in the off position (and connects lighting circuits etc to + in the on position)

Redoko
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonie wrote:

V5 is NOT proof of ownership.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redoko wrote:

A little off topic.. how do you actually prove you own a vehicle?

Not sure if this would work.. could you claim you've broken down, and get recovery to take you home? (maybe explain the situation to the bloke?)

Redoko
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
Redoko wrote:

Not sure if this would work.. could you claim you've broken down, and get recovery to take you home? (maybe explain the situation to the bloke?)

Unofficially I suppose you could explain your situation.

But busting open a ignition barrel looks dodgey to anyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked that you havent left it in the ignition/seat lock?

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
Redoko wrote:

By providing a receipt of purchase. Thumbs Up

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:57 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

you prove you own the vehicle by letting the police do their check and showing them your licence or other ID.

I have successfully stolen my bike 3 times because of high amounts of fail, whether that be crashing and then forgetting where I put the keys after the crash (with the alarm going off every 30 seconds), or riding away with a disc lock on, buggering it and spending an hour cutting it off with a junior hack saw with over a hundred people walking past.

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:54 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all the replies guys, luckily my breakdown covers the loss of a key, so I can get it to a specific destination, I'm thinking of a locksmith like some of you mentioned. I don't have a seat lock by the way, and Kickstart, I really hope it doesn't cost that Rolling Eyes

I rang a fairly local Hyosung dealer and got their advice, and they recommended a mobile locksmith, the one in Chatteris, which isn't far from here. Anyway, gave them a ring and they don't do motorbikes? Rolling Eyes I need to look around.. Find somewhere that would do it.

Oh and lonies mate, the earlier models of the XRX did have a kickstart, but mine's just electric start unfortunately, always liked the options of having 2 methods of ignition.

Kickstart, will I really have to replace my whole ignition barrel? I just need somewhere that would cut a key for me, but if key cutters won't even cut the key when I had it, it makes me think, are they really gonna be able to do this? Rolling Eyes

Froggy girl, I'll check for a number when I go back to my bike, the Hyosung dealer mentioned that, he said without it I wouldn't be able to get a key cut for it?

Cheers for the help, appreciate it big time Karma

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:42 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me many moons ago. I called out a locksmith who made me a new key using the petrol tank lock. He did it in the back of his van. Cost me £80.

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

J5 wrote:
you prove you own the vehicle by letting the police do their check and showing them your licence or other ID.

A PNC check shows the registered keeper, not the owner - the same as the V5.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:03 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

milkster wrote:
Cheers for all the replies guys, luckily my breakdown covers the loss of a key, so I can get it to a specific destination, I'm thinking of a locksmith like some of you mentioned. I don't have a seat lock by the way, and Kickstart, I really hope it doesn't cost that Rolling Eyes

Mobile lock smith is likely to charge between £50 and £100, if they can get a key blank (last one I used charged me £65 I think, but that was with me taking the lock to them).

Find the price of a lock set. A quick browse round and I can't find it online although US price for one for a GT250 suggests Hyosung prices are not that high.

milkster wrote:
Kickstart, will I really have to replace my whole ignition barrel? I just need somewhere that would cut a key for me, but if key cutters won't even cut the key when I had it, it makes me think, are they really gonna be able to do this? Rolling Eyes

Unless someone can cut a key to fit the barrel (either by careful checking or from the number) then almost certainly you will need to replace the whole barrel, and a new barrel means the new key won't fit any other matching locks on the bike.

All the best

Keith

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got keys cut for a few bikes (lost key,bought without keys etc)
& the easiest/cheapest way is to remove the barrel.
as Kickstart says, there is usually at least one security rivet, which can be removed by cutting a slot in it, & then loosening it with a screwdriver or imact driver.
once you have the ignition barrel off, by-pass the ignition switch & ride it home.
done this a few times & fitted a hidden a on/off switch, so i could use the bike whilst waiting on the new key.
(couldnt find a local locksmith & bike shop takes a couple of days)
then just take the barrel to any bike shop or decent locksmith.
locksmith will cut you 2 new keys for around 40 quid (max).
bike shop will be a bit more as he will send the barrel to locksmith & needs to make a profit.
then just refit, using normal button headed bolts,
if you do use a mobile locksmith, expect to pay around double, these guys make there money out of the call out charge,
cheers,
GAZ

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
the petrol cap and seat lock

Hammer and a screwdriver will open it to access the allen bolts to get the petrol cap off.

A maybe...

Reach under the rear fairing and you may be able to get to the cable. Pull it and your seat should come off. Failing that, try the hammer & screwdriver again.

Works on old bikes anyway.

It could be worth having your V5, insurance docs and proof of ID if you're not doing it at home.

Ditto
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:17 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive suffered the same problem as Milkster.

Where can you get a bike key cut? Everyone I go to just says

"Nah sorry mate don't do bike keys"

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.timpson.co.uk/ Had one cut for my Yamaha and my ZXR400 when I had it.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:39 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto wrote:
Ive suffered the same problem as Milkster.

Where can you get a bike key cut? Everyone I go to just says

"Nah sorry mate don't do bike keys"

Buy the key on eBay and take the blank and the original.

Also everybody else is lock smiths seem to be shit, I have never had trouble worse than having to order the key in. When my Triumph needed a key the guy took the original and went through a book then matched it on the book.

I had more trouble getting my Givi Key cut. In the end it was cheaper to buy a new barrel and keys than get one key cut.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1