BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Show us your road machines!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:33 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about Road bikes that gets me interested and i wouldn't mind having a bash. However if £800 is considered entry level, thee is no way i can afford that. I only paid £300 for my mountain bike and is more than enough bike for me.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:39 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'll just leave this here....

www.prendas.co.uk

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fancy a crack at it too, however I don't seem to have the trim physique that I see most road riders have. It would be the same scenario of when you see a fat person jogging. Plus I don't fancy them uber skinny tyres either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:48 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh 95kgs - 14.5 stone in real money, I don't seem to have a problem.

Ebay is your friend if you want a road bike. £300 should see you with a decent bike, which will last ages if you maintain it (a piece of piss). I got the shoes I still wear in 2004, for £25, again fleabay.

You can do it on a budget, trust me, I'm tight as fuck.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 03:03 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOG. How tall are you? The seat stays on that frame look incredibly steep. I can't work out if it's very short or very tall.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 03:11 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl_steveo wrote:
Plus I don't fancy them uber skinny tyres either.

Uber skinny tyres are what makes all the difference and are what allows me to go sailing past people sloggin the streets on mountain bikes on a 40 year old single speed bikem spinning out the pedals as if I'm putting no effort in. That's because I am putting no effort in due to minimal rolling resistance.

The bigger and heavier you are, the more difference skinny tyres will make. I'm over 6 foot and around 15 stone. My tyres aren't even the skinniest I would like due to the archaic rim size.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:15 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I'm quite slim anyway 5ft 10 and 11 stone.
What are good bikes to look for on ebay?

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:17 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
DOG. How tall are you? The seat stays on that frame look incredibly steep. I can't work out if it's very short or very tall.

I'm 6' bang on. The frame is a 58cm, tho I've never really understood what measurement that actually is.

What do you mean by seat stays too?

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:23 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I'm shorter and heavier than everything thats been mentioned. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I get the reason for the skinny tyres but I think It would take some getting used too. There doesn't seem to be much to them. Plus the lycra that is an essential part of every mans road bike attire would have me looking like this.

https://www.dazzlefancydress.co.uk/images/27088.jpg

I need a new bicycle because my mountain bike is kaput and theres not many mountains living in the city anyway. Next one might have to be a road bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 03:59 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:

I'm 6' bang on. The frame is a 58cm, tho I've never really understood what measurement that actually is.

What do you mean by seat stays too?

The measurement is essentially meaningless. It's supposed to be the length of the seat tube distance between the bottom bracket and the top tube but given todays propensity for long seatposts and varying lengths of crossbar, it doesn't tell you much.

The seat stay is the bit of frame running from the rear hub to the seat. it just seems very upright (near vertical) on your frame compared to most. That means either the seat tube is unusually long (which it isn't), the wheelbase is unusually short or the crossbar is unusually long.

The net effect is you are sitting quite far back on the bike (almost directly over the back wheel) and your legs are going quite far forwards to reach the pedals. A very comfy, upright riding position. If I were to ride that bike, I think I'd find my legs very cramped up under me if I was down on the drops. Wasn't criticism, just looked slightly odd to me. No two people are the same shape.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha, and you're spot on with the assessment. You cannot really use the drops whilst in the saddle - certainly I never do. Only ever use them when 'sprinting' out of the saddle.

It is quite a stretch to the bars - the angle of the headset desn't help with that, but I'm used to it now, and other bikes feel odd.

I'll dig out a pic of me riding it, for the limited lulz.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the right....

https://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv188/NewForestGridiron/NewForestGridIron2010/IMG_2428.jpg

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 14:56 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My newest build. Cost around £600 all in from ebay/cycle forums for parts. To be used for racing this season.

I also have an old Ridgeback genesis which is for commuting/training and looking to build an old steel framed single with drops for a spare bike and to be cool with the kids!

Giant TCR carbon frame (2006)
Sram Force shifters brakes and derailleurs with 105 chainset and Ultegra rear mech. Easton EA50 wheels. Fizik Arione saddle and Cinelli Vai bars with Bontrager XXXlite stem. Weighs just over 7kg I think. Not got a proper scale to measure.

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/tcr_build.jpg

PS: If anyone knows of an old steel frame or complete bike with horizontal drops in size 51-54cm for the top tube then please let me know. Not looking to spend more than £250. Thanks.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed.

Particularly the colour co-ordination - looks a treat. Cool

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fausto Coppi - must be 10 years old, if not more, gotta admit I rarely ride it 'cos my Marin mtb is just a comfortable all rounder and I use it for the daily commute as I can get up 'n down pavements with ease (and without fearing for the rims Smile )...

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a231/steveqpr/2-6.jpg

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:55 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I don't suppose you are a member of cycle chat forums are ya?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonny Bravo wrote:

I might have been registered there John but certainly not a regular. I've jumped in and out of BikeRadar more frequently when I've felt the need to ask advice/questions about cycling related topics but again only a handful of times. They seem to be a friendly and well informed bunch over there.

ajbsmirnoff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed a chaps computer while i was a phd student, he paid me with a box of bike parts from a police auction. Assembled it with tools and WD40 from lab.

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w255/ajbsmirnoff/7822_127650784289_578364289_2658487_1813241_n.jpg

Total cost - 30 minutes of time.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajbsmirnoff wrote:
Fixed a chaps computer while i was a phd student, he paid me with a box of bike parts from a police auction. Assembled it with tools and WD40 from lab.

It seems you missed the point of this thread Laughing

I've always fancied a road bike. My dad sold one ages ago for bugger all. I wish he hadn't.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 03:01 - 20 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve H wrote:
I can get up 'n down pavements with ease (and without fearing for the rims Smile )...

Something I used to be bothered about too, until I found that truing a wheel isn't really all that difficult and it takes a hell of a lot of force to actually taco a modern bicycle rim if it's all laced up tight.

I'm less sure about those fancy track-style ones with 14 or 15 spokes in but a 700c wheel with 32 or 36 spokes is a lot stronger than it looks. Just look at people doing cyclocross and riding 29"er MTBs.

In theory, a larger diameter wheel is LESS likely to get dinged by bumping up over an obstacle. That's thy they put 17" wheels on sports motorcycles and 21 or 23" wheels on motocrossers.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:17 - 20 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross bike (Gios puredrop)
I changed thin block tyres into thick road tyres.
https://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/GIOS-PUREDROP001.jpg

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 19:02 - 20 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve H wrote:
Jonny Bravo wrote:

I might have been registered there John but certainly not a regular. I've jumped in and out of BikeRadar more frequently when I've felt the need to ask advice/questions about cycling related topics but again only a handful of times. They seem to be a friendly and well informed bunch over there.

Ah right, I only asked cause there is a chap on the forums who has exactly the same moniker as you!

Went on a nice 53 miler this morning with a local club, went over the severn bridge into Wales and had a nice bit of cake and mug of tea at Tintern Abbey. Lots of motorbikes and cyclists out and about today, the sun was scorching felt almost like summer. Very Happy

Burned 2246 calories. Nice big homemade slow cooked beef stew coming up!!! Very Happy
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 32 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2