Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Small Touring Bike & Touring on a Shoestring Recommendat

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Freols
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 04 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:00 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Small Touring Bike & Touring on a Shoestring Recommendat Reply with quote

I posted a question about the 'best' touring bike for someone who's just done the DAS. The replies were very useful, and got me thinking about what I actually want from the tour. After some consideration and a lot of reading I'm excited about the idea of spending my month in Europe riding a small bike, with minimal baggage. It sounds like more of an adventure, and of course it's far cheaper to do.

When I say small I mean probably 250cc or less, and certainly below 400cc.

I know there are loads and loads of threads dedicated to this small bike tour fetishism, but lots of them end up very long and full of what I would consider to be odd choices for European tours - hence the purpose of this thread.

Threads such as this monstrous one from the avrider forum: https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201349 seem to mostly focus on off road style bikes. I can see that making a lot of sense in Africa or South America, but in Europe it seems to make less sense - the majority of the route I will be taking will have tarmacked roads. I'm looking for a bike that will be more comfortable on roads than it will be on dirt tracks, but still be able to cope with them if needs be.

Any recommendations? I know people have circled the world on C90s and CG125s, but maybe a tiny bit more kick would be handy for tackling the alps? Maybe 250cc commuter type bikes? Or is it possible and sensible to modify off road/dual sport bikes to make them more suitable for a long mixed road tour? Would also like to hear your ideas about being a complete cheapskate! Touring with Asda carrier bags gaffa taped to the sides of the bike sounds right up my street.

It's worth mentioning I am 6'2" and about 14 stone.

I know I'm just fishing for ideas here, but I would love to hear your experiences, recommendations and thoughts. Cool

Edit: One last thing, if anyone has unusual suggested tour stops in Europe, please say! So far it's just the famous cities on the route

Provisional Tour Details 1st-31st August 2011


Last edited by Freols on 22:55 - 20 Mar 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

multijoy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:43 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the difficulty is that there's a bit of a gap in the market for relatively new 2-400cc bikes. If you're looking at 250cc, I think you'll be getting a fairly aged bike, but that's not a bad thing in of itself.

The best bike to tour with is the one you have/can afford- you might find some mileage (ho ho, etc) in looking at the cb500/gs500/er5's or other twin-500cc commuter. Still return you 50 mpg (mine is, and it's fucked!) but with enough get-up-and-go to have some fun with. Physically, they're a bit larger than the CB250 (or similar) which means you can crowbar on more stuff.

Mondo enduro got around the world (eventually!) on some suzuki 400 enduros, so it might be worth seeing what's out there for the money you've got rather than sticking to a list.
____________________
'11 CBF1000A, '99 C90, '98 CB500
silky666: He rode amazingly well considering his bike is the weight of a small van and had slicks on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Freols
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 04 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I think you're quite right. It does seem quite odd that there are so few low cc modern bikes around, 125s aside. Going for a 500cc bike is something that I had not considered, 50mpg isn't half bad, but being a 20 year old will no doubt mean that 500cc bikes will have beasty insurance despite my background.

I won't by any means limit myself to a list, having scanned ebay etc. I can see the merit of being very flexible, but it would be good to hear suggestions anywhere, especially personal experiences. Just to know I'm looking and the right sort of bike.

I can't imagine touring on an enduro... maybe other people's backsides are made of iron. Also, I always imagine they can't be as efficient of the roads as other bikes?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

multijoy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old-ish, commuter 500 will probably insure cheaper than any enduro. Easiest way to find out is just plug some stuff into go compare (other comparison sites are available) and see what comes out.

I've got a 690 enduro, and I'm not sure that it's any less comfortable than my CB500. A cheap sheepskin would be good for any bike you'll spend some time on. In fact, the least comfortable bike I've ever used was a 650cc bandit! Horrid, it was. My arse went to sleep within 20 minutes on that thing.

In terms of economy, most of it will be how you ride it and the tyres rather than the style of the bike. I don't think a big single is much less efficient that a parallel twin of a similar size if you're not thrashing it within an inch of its life.
____________________
'11 CBF1000A, '99 C90, '98 CB500
silky666: He rode amazingly well considering his bike is the weight of a small van and had slicks on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chillyman0
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

try looking at a 400 bros, small, light, economical and should be reliable too
____________________
preivious : 2007 Skyjet 125 (died), 1991 gsf400 (problems, rotting in garden)
1996 gsf600n (sold)
current : 1996 VFR750 for sale, PM for info! 2000 E1 ZX-9r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round the world on two YBR 125s.

2 x YBR 125 = 1 x YBR 250.

You can't argue with maths. Fact.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:32 - 20 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess that the £1,000 is for 4 week's travel. That's £250 per week. To cover the lot. Thirty five pound a day. So that's going to be camping and fly camping at time's. Your route in Goggle map's need's looking at. As there is no map showing. So I have no idea where you are thinking of going. The bike list to fit you can be as long or as short as you like. But what a bike will happen is that abike will come along that will fit your pocket and you'll buy that. Me I would go for the biggeset bike you can manage. You'll keep it longer. As you out grow small mid range bike's quickley.
John933
____________________
My trip
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatfan
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 10 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:13 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a week in france on an er5 last year. I'm 6'2", and about 18 stone, with loads of luggage, I was still getting 50mpg ish. My arse was numb by the end of it, but I was suffering less than my mate that was on a cbf600. The er5 is an easy bike to work on if it does break down, but mine didn't, except for overheating a little bit in Bordeaux. It was 36C, and we'd been doing 80 most of the day, so I wasn't surprised!
I'm tempted to do it again next year (I'm going round GB this year), but I expect I'll have a bigger bike by then. However, I'd quite happily do it on the er5 again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

John933 wrote:
Let me guess that the £1,000 is for 4 week's travel. That's £250 per week. To cover the lot. Thirty five pound a day. So that's going to be camping and fly camping at time's. Your route in Goggle map's need's looking at. As there is no map showing. So I have no idea where you are thinking of going. The bike list to fit you can be as long or as short as you like. But what a bike will happen is that abike will come along that will fit your pocket and you'll buy that. Me I would go for the biggeset bike you can manage. You'll keep it longer. As you out grow small mid range bike's quickley.
John933


That money is easy for 4 weeks. I didn't spend much more doing 5,500 miles for over a month. I camped, stayed in cheap hotels, pensions and hostels. It was on a GPZ500 that cost £650 with no major modifications.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:53 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

chillyman0 wrote:
try looking at a 400 bros, small, light, economical and should be reliable too

I'm joining my friends on 2 week euro tour on my Bros. It'll be interesting...but cruising at 80 is no problem so I should be fine. Just the lack of space for luggage may cause issues. Fuel economy has been dead on 60mpg for every tank since I've been riding it.
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:10 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance isn't entirely based on cc - for instance I've seen people's insurance go DOWN going from a sports 125 to a sports 400.

I would definitely look at the 500cc commuter bikes because they still do good economy, cope with more varied conditions and parts availability should be good.

I wouldn't bother going for an off-road bike unless you're going off road. They tend to handle long stretches of road use less well relatively.
On that, though - the BMWF650 range is also worth considering. And yes, it's higher cc, but they've got less power and similar weight to the 500cc commuter twins, so not much in it.

For cheap touring:
'Wild camp' - generally not too hard in Europe, though the lower population density is balanced by having less hedge rows than in the UK, so being harder to conceal yourself.
Buy food from local supermarkets.
Obviously keep your speed down a bit and keep the 'enthusiastic' riding for the fun bits where it makes a difference.


Last edited by G on 10:38 - 22 Mar 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

krytenboog
Nova Slayer



Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:34 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Might be worth considering a divvy 600. I do regular trips on mine of 250-300 miles a day ,very comfortable ,reliable and exonomical . 57 mpg is my usual return at an average 60 mph. Plenty of power and easy to repair. Mine is an 08 naked with 28 k that cost me £440 . Plenty on eBay at the moment.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

krytenboog
Nova Slayer



Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:36 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to put 98 not 08. Old age is catching me up methinks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe worth mentioning that you can swap in a larger front and/or smaller rear sprocket lengthen the gearing. This will get the revs down and the economy up, at the cost of some acceleration and bigger gaps between the gears.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:20 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:

That money is easy for 4 weeks. I didn't spend much more doing 5,500 miles for over a month. I camped, stayed in cheap hotels, pensions and hostels. It was on a GPZ500 that cost £650 with no major modifications.


Can I come and live in your world. 5,500 mile's in petrol cost alone is going to cost you next to £700. That leave's you £300. Sixty pound for the Chanel crossing. Your down to £240. Let's be fair and say your lucky and it only cost you £5 a night. Either to fly pitch a tent, or stay at a camp site. No way can you get a room for £5. Cheapest room's are £20 a night. So you have 28 day at £5 a night. £140 off of your spare money of £240. Your down to a £100. Not taking in food and drink cost. And them price's have been pitch at the daft end of low. To do a month and 5,00 mile's. You'll need at least £1.5K and £500 tucked away in plastic to cover you just in case.
John933
____________________
My trip
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

beechbone wrote:
chillyman0 wrote:
try looking at a 400 bros, small, light, economical and should be reliable too

I'm joining my friends on 2 week euro tour on my Bros. It'll be interesting...but cruising at 80 is no problem so I should be fine. Just the lack of space for luggage may cause issues. Fuel economy has been dead on 60mpg for every tank since I've been riding it.


Once you slap a tent on board and other bit's and piece's. Your 60 mpg is going to go out the window. But you'll find that out. And reducing you speed will help.
HTH
John933
____________________
My trip
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Insurance isn't entirely based on cc - for instance I've seen people's insurance go DOWN going from a sports 125 to a sports 400.

I would definitely look at the 500cc commuter bikes because they still do good economy, cope with more varied conditions and parts availability should be good.

I wouldn't bother going for an off-road bike unless you're going off road. They tend to handle long stretches of road use less well relatively.
On that, though - the BMWF650 range is also worth considering. And yes, it's higher cc, but they've got less power and similar weight to the 500cc commuter twins, so not much in it.

For cheap touring:
'Wild camp' - generally not too hard in Europe, though the lower population density is balanced by having less hedge rows than in the UK, so being harder to conceal yourself.
Buy food from local supermarkets.
Obviously keep your speed down a bit and keep the 'enthusiastic' riding for the fun bits where it makes a difference.


There speaks a man who has done it and knows.
Very Happy
John933
____________________
My trip
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

John933 wrote:


Can I come and live in your world. 5,500 mile's in petrol cost alone is going to cost you next to £700. That leave's you £300. Sixty pound for the Chanel crossing. Your down to £240. Let's be fair and say your lucky and it only cost you £5 a night. Either to fly pitch a tent, or stay at a camp site. No way can you get a room for £5. Cheapest room's are £20 a night. So you have 28 day at £5 a night. £140 off of your spare money of £240. Your down to a £100. Not taking in food and drink cost. And them price's have been pitch at the daft end of low. To do a month and 5,00 mile's. You'll need at least £1.5K and £500 tucked away in plastic to cover you just in case.
John933


Ah you see, i could get 80mpg out of the GPZ. Tunnel crossing was £18 and the ferry back was about £20. I headed east. Prague, Kutna hora, Budapest, Balaton, Romania, Croatia. Camped and stayed in hostels. £5 a night in budapest. Was a few years ago now. 2008 i believe.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:26 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:

Ah you see, i could get 80mpg out of the GPZ. Tunnel crossing was £18 and the ferry back was about £20. I headed east. Prague, Kutna hora, Budapest, Balaton, Romania, Croatia. Camped and stayed in hostels. £5 a night in budapest. Was a few years ago now. 2008 i believe.


But if you go this year. For that kind of trip you'll need the money I said. And not the price you paid in 2008.
Very Happy
John933
____________________
My trip
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.68 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 114.01 Kb