Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Blown bulbs :-(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 15 Mar 2002    Post subject: Blown bulbs :-( Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Not a happy bunny recently Evil or Very Mad

This is the second night in a row I've had to ride home with no lights at the back of the bike. The brake lights work but the part of the bulb for the rear tail-light keeps blowing. Any ideas anyone, as I've replaced the bulbs a few times now and I'm beginning to get pissed off......

My neighbour reckons its a dodgy earth, as one of the battery terminals has lost its rubber cover and furred up. I just smiled and nodded cos I know F*all about this sorta thing. Embarassed

Please help as I will die soon Crying or Very sad

Laters

carl

PostPosted: 21:07 - 15 Mar 2002    Post subject: blown bulbs Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad

hi mate

im haveing the exact same problem, i have a mito, if the bulb keeps blowing it could be the regulator, this keps controll of the voltage, measure the voltage bye conecting one lead of a multimeter to earth and the other two one of the conections on the rear light, you will only get a reading from one so youl have to try both, when you find the one that gives the reading rev the bike, warm it up then rev it to the redline the meter should read around 14v if it goes up to about 17v check the conections on the regulator this will be a unit with heat sink funs on top with about 4 wires coming from the plug, if all conections are fine (no rust) it could be knackard, also check that the nuts holding the rear light unit to the frame are not to tight on the rubber bushes, this will cause vibration, if the bulb vibrates allot slacken the nuts of a little and try again,
if the bulb blows at night away from home, turn it around this will cause the brake light to be on all the time, mine has blown before about 10mile away from homem, while twating it down the A1,
let me no how you get on, or if you sort it out, because then i could sort mine out, ive only just slackened the nuts of to stop the vibration, so i dont no if that has helped atall, and im not going out on it because its fucking freezing and pissing down with rain

my email is carl@woodman83.fsnet.co.uk
You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 21:34 - 15 Mar 2002    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

its propabbly a short somwhere in the electrical system.

after i fitted my allarm i got that problem of double earthing its easily sorted once you find the fault
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:25 - 16 Mar 2002    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Hi

First check if you keep blowing bulbs is the condition of the battery. If the battery is knackered it will allow voltage spikes which can blow bulbs. Also check the light is mounted OK. On the FZ it got to the stage that it was costing almost as much in bulbs as petrol. Turned out that the bulb holder in the rear light had worn and vibrated, blowing the bulbs. So you took it out to change the bulb and wore it slightly more in the process!

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 16 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
seeing as your talking about bulbs, the one ive got for my imported NSR R 2000 modle, is crap (this is the front by the way). And i was wondering which one i should get to replace it. at the moment its not bright at all even on Full beam. Thanks

soz for hikacking your thread Kris

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

crash
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 16 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a higher watt bulb, i have 45/40 , there a lot better

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:14 - 17 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while your at it take out the sidlight bulbs and paint them with green water based pernament glass paint. Looks like neons, and when you put it on main beam the green doesnt show. can buy the paint from an artist shop. Ill post some pics up soon.
Dyl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1