Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Stay a hero, stay safe......

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Stay a hero, stay safe...... Reply with quote

Ripped from MCN

Quote:
This new road safety video – released by the Sussex Safer Roads Partnership – is part of the group’s “Stay a hero, stay safe” campaign. The group claims that motorcycle accidents account for 25% of all accidents on Sussex roads.
This campaign aims to reduce overall “killed or seriously injured” incidents by 40%.
In contrast to most safety videos, “Stay a hero, stay safe” focuses on the importance of motorcyclists to their families and loved ones, rather than highlighting the horrors and dangers of biking accidents.
Is it as effective, what do you think?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvbDorJcg6o


My opinion.....
I was bored after 10seconds, and the vid was shit.
Not gonna stop blind cagers taking us out.....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

All road awareness stuff is total cobblers, IMHO. Most of us stay in one piece with a combination of experience, defensive riding and luck. With the latter being the most important part of not getting caged into oblivion.
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Martay
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly wont stop cagers pulling out on ya, but aimed at a biker id say it was pretty powerful.
____________________
Eat well, poo hard Very Happy
Drives: Cavalier 2.0 16v
Rides: Slightly ratted Honda City Express Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sham
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear me, was that made by Sussex, USofA......Schmaltz or what? Gave me toothache!

Last edited by Sham on 19:46 - 26 May 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dragstaar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree CaNsA, I thought it was a brilliant ad. I remember I posted on here a whil back about having cagers pull out on me all the time. And the general consensus was that *I* must be doing something wrong. My riding style must be wrong for it to be happening so often.

I thought it was bollocks at first, but then I decided to change my riding style, to a more defensive one. Yeah, I shouldn't have to, Mr SUV should look out for me, but that ad is aimed at riders, telling them to change their riding style to a more defensive one. Works well.

Only thing is though, I've noticed that this message is nothing new to Dads. I know a couple of daddy riders, and they ride safe not for themselves, but for their families. There needs to be an ad aimed at younger boisterous riders (myself being one of them!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

salty21
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not even sure what the message was behind that Confused

Are they saying dont go out, just make do with what you have in the garage? or kids do what their parents do?. Dont get it at all TBH
____________________
04 NSR 125(sold) Sad ---- 03 CBR 600rr(sold)Sad Smile ----90 pan euro ST1100 'Shocked' ----02 CG 125 Smile
94 CB400 Super Four ---- 2000 VTR SP1 (sold) ---- 08 ninja p8f(sold, meh) ----05 CBR600rr Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to ride defensively. I guess that should be rammed home to newbie riders, particularly those who have driven a car prior to riding a bike. If you expect drivers to see you or respect your position on the road like they do when you're in a cage, you'll be in a for a nasty surprise.

These days I don't get many cars pulling out on me. Or least not in a way which put me in immediate danger of actually coming a cropper, from which I have to conclude that I must be riding in something like a reasonable manner. But that was a lesson I learned over time. Nothing anyone said to me when I was 17, 18 would have made me ride sensibly Laughing

If anything, some bellend preaching safety is likely to make you want to jump on something big and fast and ride like a maniac when you're young and rebellious and foolish.
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

crackfinder
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Re: Stay a hero, stay safe...... Reply with quote

Quote:
This new road safety video – released by the Sussex Safer Roads Partnership – is part of the group’s “Stay a hero, stay safe” campaign. The group claims that motorcycle accidents account for 25% of all accidents on Sussex roads.
This campaign aims to reduce overall “killed or seriously injured” incidents by 40%.
In contrast to most safety videos, “Stay a hero, stay safe” focuses on the importance of motorcyclists to their families and loved ones, rather than highlighting the horrors and dangers of biking accidents.
Is it as effective, what do you think?


So....... cars/vans and trucks account for the other 75% of all accidents on Sussex roads..?

you would think they would want to target the 75% not the lesser 25%

As for the actual video.......I guess it could make certain people think a bit more.
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 Fazer (gone but not forgotten). Current - Kawasaki ZX6R A1P


Last edited by crackfinder on 19:57 - 26 May 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the message is?
Dont leave your kids on thier own and the garage unlocked when you go out for a ride...
Or you'll come home to your preciouse, haviung flattened the battery in your miners lamps and put holes in your brolly, and made a mess of the garage! Rolling Eyes
They spent money on that bit of footage?
Nice to know the GATSO money gets put to such good use!

Hmmm... bikers are killing themselves on our roads, I know, lets do a 'think of the kiddies' advert, that'll slow them down!?!?!?!?!!?!
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hyaon
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit video..watching footage of bike crashes on youtube educated me more than this crap... motorbike riders aint heros, we're cowboys :p
____________________
Mod2 Passed 30/03/2011!
CBF125>GSF650 Bandit K8>B-King 2008+R1 2002
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i came home to find one of my kids making a mess in the garage he'd get my foot up his arse, not a sickly smile.
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do kids want to know about a motorbike?

a) How fast does that go mister?

b) Can you do wheelies mister?

Therein ends their interest.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone not understanding the message:

It's aimed at bikers riding responsibly, telling 'us' (and i use that word in a very loose way) that we should stay safe, and in that way our kids will grow up with us around them and not as a dead father/mother from an accident.

They would rather our kids look up to us for being safe (on a motorbike) than us not being there at all.

take from that what you will.
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Honda CD 250 > Honda Hornet 600 > Honda CBR 600RR > Yamaha RXS 100 > Kawasaki ZX6R J2 > Yamaha FZ1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Devans
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 14 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:03 - 27 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vid tries to put across the message that riding safely means you can get back home in one piece for your family.

At first it's as if the kids pretending to be his dad, as he's died etc. But the upside being his dad rode safely and returned home Smile

It's aimed at your emotions!

In todays society where my taxes etc pay for fucking everything and every lazy cunt, i'm really not arsed that some of it's been spent on the biking community.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:05 - 27 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't apply to me.

I don't have kids so I can what I like Mr. Green
I'm pretty sure that was the message intended.


Last edited by Vin on 10:52 - 12 Mar 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:16 - 27 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm supposed to get all my gear on, fuck an umbrella up, mount shit to my push bike and set a fan up to make it seem like I am on a motorbike, when in essence I look like a tool when someone with a Duke turns up looking awesome?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:37 - 27 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate with umbrella kid more than the guy with the ducati tbh.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:17 - 27 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't see the "message" of the advert then you are retarded, it's not exactly complex. If you feel it applies to you, or is effective at reaching you/a larger audience or will have any effects on anybody etc etc is another matter, the intended message pretty much slaps you in the face.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:41 - 27 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiVuHEv2VZ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkyWNykoVto&NR=1

don't make them like they used to
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:57 - 27 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiVuHEv2VZ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkyWNykoVto&NR=1

don't make them like they used to


Second link - 1:10 and other places, biker in blue boiler suit - that looks like a real person rather than a dummy Shocked . He got balls.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:12 - 27 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thought it was an ok video which probably targets a decent percentage of the demographic riding fast through Sussex. Whenever I park up at biker cafes I have a wander round the bikes and would have to most of the fast boys are late 30's - early 40's and presumably most have kids...

Also, much as I think it was okay, I would still rather they spent their money on:

o - Improving road surfaces
o - Educating drivers on pulling out of junctions and lane discipline
o - Educating drivers on country road driving
o - Removing unnecessary road furniture
o - Free bikesafe 'Mega days' in summer

Karma
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sham
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:28 - 27 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiVuHEv2VZ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkyWNykoVto&NR=1

don't make them like they used to


I remember those, and Christ, it looks like we lived in times of certain death!

I also remember one of a kid running over a sandy beach and jumping off a sand dune - certain to land on a broken bottle ( I think to prevent littering)

But one which haunted me about escalators, with a kids rag doll getting mangled. I used to think these machines were the work of the devil!!!

Life before the safety Nazis eh?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 27 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sham wrote:


But one which haunted me about escalators, with a kids rag doll getting mangled. I used to think these machines were the work of the devil!!!


I still do, I hate them, when I was a kid I also saw that advert and getting off and coming onto them I always checking shoe laces etc, then I moved out to the country so never really used them that much, and now I just hate them, they are everywhere the fear still instilled in me from that advert, and what annoys me is the etiquette most people lack by clogging them up, as opposed to sticking to one side so people can walk freely passed them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Andy J This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 1.91 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 136.85 Kb