Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scared to start up!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
 Topic moved: from to The Workshop by G (6 Aug 2004 - 23:06)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Darkside
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:40 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Scared to start up! Reply with quote

My rs 250 has been lying idle for five months now(Due to lack of insurance). Of course it has been lovingly tended to looked, at sat on, cleaned and maintained...obviously!! BUT is there going to be any mechanical problems when I kickstart the beast or will iit go go go???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 13:56 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get a better response if you post your questions in the right categories Thumbs Up

I'd say you'd want to drain the petrol and put fresh in, other than it /should/ start after a few goes and run ok, once it's had a nice ride it should be back to running sweet again.

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:57 - 06 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah put fresh petrol in your bike i think it goes of after a while, check chain is okay ie. greased, and tyres ie. pressure also make sure your battery is okay might need charged.

Can't really think of anything else at the moment. Wink

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:04 - 10 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it dont want to start after that then clean the plugs. they can get very oiled up on a 2 stroke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:55 - 10 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then, treat it like its coming back into service after a lay up.

First off, get the plugs out and pour a little 2 stroke oil into the holes. Turn the engine over gently to lube the cylinder walls with it. Best done by getting the back wheel off the floor, putting it into gear, and slowly turning the back wheel.

Check your plug gaps, put the plugs back in. Reconnect HT leads.

Drain the fuel and put in some fresh. If the tank is nearly empty already, just fill it with fresh.

Start her up, and let her sit and tick over for a bit and get nice and warm before your first ride.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:49 - 10 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all of the above. I would use a few drops of pre-mix down the sparkplug holes and kick over a few times with the ignition off rather than actual neat 2-stroke, spreads about more easily and less likley to make your plugs oil-up immediatley.

Definatley put in fresh fuel, it may be worth opening the drain screw at the bottom of the carbs and allowing some fresh fuel to run through the float bowls too, the old petrol may well have evaporated and you don't want your first action to be sucking any deposit straight up into the jets.

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:42 - 21 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with all the above but don't forget to clean/re-oil your chain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1