Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MTB or Jump bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Catalyst
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 02 May 2011    Post subject: MTB or Jump bike? Reply with quote

Looking at getting back into riding after about 5 years of doing so, used to BMX but I want to try my hand at MTB instead.

I live right by Swinley Forest which after a bit of research is apparently a really good riding spot? My main question is what's the best bike to get?

When I used to ride everyone had "Jump bikes" rather than MTB's. I'm looking at going more into the downhill stuff and jumping rather than just a casual ride through the forest. Any specific gear I might need as well?

Cheers Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 02 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your budget? It really depends on how much you want to spend but unless you're looking to drop a few grand then I'd stick with hardtails for now and invest in some good gear like a full face helmet, gloves and some knee pads at the least. From there you can upgrade around your hardtail frame and if you move more into DH just go and buy a DH frame and swap all the bits over.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 02 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get a hard tail 24" Dirt Jumpy bike Thumbs Up

Catalyst
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 02 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice so far! Looking at around 500-ish most probably, don't want to go spending loads on my first bike. Any specific ones I should look at? From memory the main bikes I saw was Specialized, Felt and DMR.

I prefer the style of the hard tails so looks good to me, is it best to go second hand or new?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 03 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need it like... now?

It might take a while for one to come up if 2nd hand, but if you do then check ebay!

Another good site is pinkbike, (Although most people are ages 10 - 15 and just chat constant shit...... offer swaps and say I'll buy it and never turn up ect ect.)

It's certainly worth a look incase! Thumbs Up

My old bmx and picture I used, I did actually sell it to some guy for an agreed £130, came round no questions asked and gave me £140 Laughing

(My AD stated that I'm not posting it or swapping...'

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5391531/

I think identiti are pretty good, what you thinking, 24" Hydralic Disks and Front Suspension?

Thumbs Up

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 03 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catalyst wrote:
Cheers for the advice so far! Looking at around 500-ish most probably, don't want to go spending loads on my first bike. Any specific ones I should look at? From memory the main bikes I saw was Specialized, Felt and DMR.

I prefer the style of the hard tails so looks good to me, is it best to go second hand or new?

Bit of a minefield really.

In my experience I'd say go second hand as if you know what you're looking at and what to look for then you can get some real bargains but it's highly dependant on whats about and whether you have the money to hand. If you don't know what's what then I'd suggest reading a lot of reviews and trying to ride as many bikes as you can either from shops or from your mates or hiring them at trail centres.

Jump bikes and downhill bikes are 2 totally different beasts. While a jump bike will be fine on smaller downhill tracks, once you start getting into the proper rough stuff it won't be much fun to ride downhill on a small jump bike. If you go the jump bike route it'll be hard to upgrade things for a downhill orientation if you decide that's where you want to go as big forks will seriously mess up the geometry of a small jump frame and generally at the price range you're looking at a jump bike won't come with gears so that's another expense to consider.

For £500 I'd just go for a jump bike unless you can pick up a real bargain second hand or maybe get some parts together from a few forums like www.southerndownhill.com www.descent-world.co.uk and www.pinkbike.com and build something cool. I've found ebay to be really over priced usually but there are occasional bargains to be had.

If you can increase your budget by a few hundred quid then you could look at bikes like the NS Core and Kona Five-O. They're hard hitting hardtails that are a bit bigger than a small jump bike and will have gears so will be more suited to downhill type upgrades as and when you want them.

Just to show you what you can do on a limited budget:

I built this for a total (so far, I keep breaking things on it Laughing) of about £300. 7 inches of suspension travel front and rear, front hope hydro disc and a rear Shimano saint disc, Shimano XT cranks, Shimano 105 road rear mech, DMR chainguide, Mavic 721 front rim on a Hope hub and a Funn rim on a Hope hub at the rear:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_4859.jpg

And this cost me £400 brand new (26" wheels all the way! It now has a hydro rear brake instead of the old cable one too):

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_7324.jpg

To be fair, one of my close friends works in a bike shop and I do a bit to promote the shop locally so they sort me out with workshop time and good offers on parts but the DH bike was 80% second hand parts.

New jump bikes to consider:

Kona Shonky - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=64983

DMR Drone - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=48604

NS Bikes Metropolis 3 (very street orientated though) - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=58198

Identiti P66 - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=64682

Then there's the bigger hardtails I was going on about:

Kona Five-O - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=64969

Ns Bikes Core - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=58201

/Procrastination from uni work Laughing

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:15 - 03 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its just mild forest riding then i would go for a hard tail mtb,
if its a bit of street and bmx style then go for the jumper

Catalyst
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 03 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking the DMR Drone and Kona Shonky!

An old friend of mine that I grew up with actually rides for DMR and has a mega expensive bike from them. You might have heard of him f you're into your bikes, Sam Reynolds? Looks like he is going to make it big as well!

I do actually have the money to buy one now, it's just whether I can bring myself to spend that much as i'm always saving rather than spending Laughing

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:57 - 04 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

both are pretty good bikes,
the only thing i don't like about jump bikes is the single gear,
i used to have one back in the early 90's that ran a 3 speed rear hub,
it was the perfect all round bike, except no front shocks about in those days
eventually traded it for an dbr axis pro, which just got stolen, mountian bies were all new and flash back in those days Very Happy
should have just kept the ratty jump bike Very Happy

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 04 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catalyst wrote:
You might have heard of him if you're into your bikes, Sam Reynolds?

I happen to have a big A1 sized poster of him on my wall doing a backflip can can... If he can keep up with Pilgrim and maybe branch out into the whole slopestyle scene then he'll do well!

Do you know him well? If so then he might have some old bikes from previous sponsors or enough bits lying around to sell you on the cheap to make up a bike?

I'd definitely buy a bike, they're so much fun and as you live close to some trails then even better. There's the health benefits too and it can be quite a social thing depending on what kind of stuff you end up riding. Do it!

Catalyst
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 04 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLR600 wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
You might have heard of him if you're into your bikes, Sam Reynolds?
Do you know him well? If so then he might have some old bikes from previous sponsors or enough bits lying around to sell you on the cheap to make up a bike?

I'd definitely buy a bike, they're so much fun and as you live close to some trails then even better. There's the health benefits too and it can be quite a social thing depending on what kind of stuff you end up riding. Do it!

Unfortunately I fell out of touch with him through the end of secondary school, have seen him out and about a few times since but wouldn't say we're 'friends' any more. Just someone I grew up with and knew!

Yeah I'm on the verge of buying one now! Wanted to get back into it so much and I also need a hobby as i'm currently just working and drinking. Doesn't help that I work 60 hours a week and every other weekend but needs must and all that.

From when I used to BMX it used to be such a social thing as you say, could literally spark up a convo/friendship with anyone.

Any specific gear I should buy? shoes/shorts etc

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 04 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catalyst wrote:

I just ride in a helmet, skate shoes and gloves usually. My current helmet is an old pisspot that needs replacing and I have a full face MX helmet too. If you're looking at pisspots then it's just the same as motorbike helmets, if it doesn't fit right it'll be useless but good makes to look out for are TSG, Giro and POC (POC stuff is pretty expensive though!). Clothing wise just wear what's comfy. I usually wear a pair of jeans 3/4 shorts and a t shirt, nothing fancy but it suits me fine. Gloves are personal preference, just try a few pairs on and go with what you like. If you end up going for pads then look at stuff from 661, Dainese and POC again.

Bummer about Sam Reynolds, I'm sure a riding session with him would be immense!

Catalyst
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLR600 wrote:
Catalyst wrote:

I just ride in a helmet, skate shoes and gloves usually. My current helmet is an old pisspot that needs replacing and I have a full face MX helmet too. If you're looking at pisspots then it's just the same as motorbike helmets, if it doesn't fit right it'll be useless but good makes to look out for are TSG, Giro and POC (POC stuff is pretty expensive though!). Clothing wise just wear what's comfy. I usually wear a pair of jeans 3/4 shorts and a t shirt, nothing fancy but it suits me fine. Gloves are personal preference, just try a few pairs on and go with what you like. If you end up going for pads then look at stuff from 661, Dainese and POC again.

Bummer about Sam Reynolds, I'm sure a riding session with him would be immense!

Nice one, cheers mate Smile . Will start off with the standard helmet I used to wear in BMX then buy a full face when i'm more into it! No idea how good the trails are by me but a lot of talk about them on t'internet. It's the ones at the lookout in Bracknell?

Think I might go buy the bike this weekend somewhere, or online. So stoked now!!!

Catalyst
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 20 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Literally just bought this bad boy

https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/images/dmr_drone_reptoid_black_10.JPG

Got it on 24" wheels and single speed as I had a play on a geared hard tail at a bike shop in town and just hated the gears. Single speed feels much more natural to me, probably due to growing up riding BMX.

Mega stoked now! Pictures to follow once it arrives!

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 20 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz Razz Razz

Loooks sweet man!

Cool

Thumbs Up

Catalyst
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 29 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got out on the bike today! (Been working 11 hour shifts for 12 days non stop!). Will be out tommorow after work and tuesday as well hopefully, heres a couple of pics from today

https://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252416_10150271506555915_686755914_9411826_7727087_n.jpg

https://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/251486_10150271506670915_686755914_9411828_3375353_n.jpg

https://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/249731_10150642932935347_561640346_19194949_7797712_n.jpg

https://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/247240_10150642933445347_561640346_19194956_1953795_n.jpg

Only just managed to get a good feel of it today, much lighter than my BMX I used to have so learning to control it in the air! Will be going much bigger tommorow I suspect.

Thumbs Up

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 29 May 2011    Post subject: !! Reply with quote

Can you tilt that seat back at all?

Then take off reflectors, jobs a good'un!

Looks really nice man, those trails look awsome too!

Thumbs Up

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 29 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to get back on the real bike Wink
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1