Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Main jets and two-stroke tuning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:49 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Main jets and two-stroke tuning Reply with quote

Hey there, as some of you may know I have a KH100, which I am intending to uprate a little for buzzing about on Very Happy . Recently I brought a 22mm carbuerttor, not much bigger than the standard 19mm one for reliability's sake. I have also just picked up an Allspeed exhaust for it (rocking horse **** rare!) which I intend to fit with the carb and leave it at that.

So, I was wondering what sort of size main jet would it be worth trying for this set up. Standard jet size is 80, any ideas?

Also, I have a 125cc top end from a KH125 knocking about which will fit, although it needs honing and a new piston before I can fit it. Would it be worth slapping this on as well, I was thinking about it but with the added costs of sorting it and then all the paperwork to keep the DVLA happy I'm not sure If I will bother. To be honest I'm only looking for enough power to cope with when I change the sprokets so it will keep up with traffic doing 70mph on the dual carridge way, and I would imagine the allspeed and slightly larger carbuerettor should cope. Or do you guys think I should go the whole hog and get the new top end on (bearing in mind the current engine was rebuild just 1500 miles ago).

Any thoughts? Like I say Im not planning on being able to reach silly speeds, a genuine cruising speed of 70mph would be ideal (currently 55mph due to the fact it red lines at 65, although it will do 65 all day long on the flat in dry / calm conditions). Im sure some scally has fiddled with it before (due to the fact that it had "Remus, Sport Exhaust" stickers all over it, and that it runs incredibly rich, choking at high revs and only running on 3 grade hotter than standard spark plugs without fouling) so theres a chance it all ready has the right main jet fitted in the standard carb, but I just wanted to run it by the experts here that have had more experiance with this sort of thing.

Thanks, Jonathan Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:34 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were mine, I would be inclined to 'suck it and see', fit the plug temperature you intend to use (use a new one, it is easier). Get it warm and do a quick blast (maybe 1/2 mile to a mile) on the standard jets. Do a plug chop and see what it looks like, if it is lean as hell, ride home on half choke, fit a bigger one and start again.

If it ain't, give it a bit longer on full chat and do another chop from flat-out. Use this as your basis for selecting your new jet or leaving the current one in. Carry on until you get a nice, light brown deposit.

Now do some chops at 1/2 to 3/4 revs and raise or lower the needle jet until it you get the magic colour.

That is my old fashioned way of doing it, there is doubtless some other way.

I reckon it'll blow up pretty quick if you manage to tune it for cruising for a long period at 70 though. Remeber this bike was first sold in the UK thirty five years ago, and it is air cooled! They do bloody well for what they are. Race tuned bikes will go faster...but race bikes get their engines rebuilt every couple of races Neutral

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:56 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You might gain a bit but not that much. The old Allspeed / Micron exhausts mainly sold to people with restricted 125s which tended to gain 50% + power wheold restricted exhausts were replaced. Yes you will probably gain a bit of power, but bear in mind that a sporty 70s air coole 125 twin would only manage a top speed of 80~85mph.

The carb you have got is from what model of bike?

All the best

Keith

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:36 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta very much for your replies, will look into it Stinkywheely Thumbs Up
Kickstart wrote:

The carb you have got is from what model of bike?

It's off an old Gp100 Keith, I brought it after reading in and old issue of UBG "Restricted by 19mm carb, increase to 22 (100cc) / 24mm (125cc) for extra go!".
The carb type are both Mikuni VM's (The KH is VM19SC, the GP is VM22SS) and the only phsycle difference I can see is that the Idle speed screw's work differently (The KH has a plunger going though the top of the carb and into the slider and can be screwed up and down to adjust the rest position of the slider, where as the GP carb has an idle screw on the side of the carb like most bikes do). My local bike mechanic seems to think they are interchangable Thumbs Up

As for it blowing up cruising at 70, perhaps I was being optimistic. Perhaps I also used the wrong words, being so used to thrashing the living daylights out of the KH (and loving it Thumbs Up) when I say cruise I mean be able to keep up the momentum to hold 65 - 70 on the flat (holds 60 - 65 at the moment but 65 is redlining) when geared so its about 1000 rpm off the red line. (this being why I thought the allspeed would be a good idea, as it would push the power towards the top end of the rev range). Just have to wait and see what sort of performance it will give, i'd be happy with 5mph on top of what it does to be honest Thumbs Up . The dual carrigeway bit was only meant as an example, I hardly ever use these on the bike and I expect it blow up if I did.

Thanks very much for your thoughts Thumbs Up

Cheers, Jonathan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1