Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I've had me first spill and wrecked my bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Peat
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:19 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: I've had me first spill and wrecked my bike Reply with quote

So I had my first spill last night and came off falling on the left hand side of my bike. (why did I not fit engine bars?)

Bandit 600

So I fell on the left and the side of the gearbox housing has shattered exposing the inners, the cog has broken off the starter motor and pegs/clutch handle are busted. Anyone have any idea how serious this is? Is it a write off? Any idea how much it might set me back to fix... bloke at the bike shop didn't sound too confident when i spoke with him on the phone (he hasn't seen it yet).

Hope the description is enough - sorry no pics
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Big Pete
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:35 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might need to get a new bottom end from a breakers but its no reason to scrap the bike. There are plenty of bandits around so parts shouldnt be too hard to find. Even if you cant get a 600 bandit motor, a gsxr750 or some of the other Suzuki 6 motors should fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Peat
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:19 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: bugger Reply with quote

Well, bloke at bike shop says it needs new engine! He says he'd never have known I fell off if I hadn't told him, apart from bent handle bars there's not a scratch on it. Oh, apart from the slight hole in the crank case. Apparently the crank case is unique to the engine (holes bored while fitting) therefore you can't just throw on a new cover. Whole engine has to be replaced - ludicrous!

Ho hum, £1000 lighter because of a moment of insanity/dodgy road surface!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Big Pete
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:42 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bottom end (which is what would be required) or even a complete engine from the breakers for a bandit 6 shouldnt be more than £5-600 (and that would be the high end).

Where are you? a friend of mine is a Suzi breaker and may be able to sort you out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Peat
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:14 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: London Reply with quote

London... although I've already left it in with place to sort it. Engine he says (with warranty) will be about £600 plus 3-4 hours fitting @ £30/hour and then the handle bars etc.

Don't think I'll get much change form a grand

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:15 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's one of these covers you've broken then you can fit another no problem ........

https://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/assets/schematics/Suzuki/SU0116_006.gif

If you've damaged the actual crankcases then a s/h engine would be easiest. The cases are line-bored as a pair and the crank shells have to be size matched to the cases so it's a time-consuming and expensive job.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:13 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

As above with the crank cases. Even if you could replace just one of them the price would been steep as you would need a complete engine rebuild (start at £100 just for the gasket set and a good few hours labour).

Engine wise Bandit engines are common. The engine is actually derived from the GSX600F which is derived from the GSX750R. However although these engines might well fit you would probably find that things like the oil cooler take off positions are different (they are between the 1200 Bandit and the GSXR1100 engine which it is closely related to).

All the best

Keith

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 19:50 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the bike back, bring it to me and I will do the job for alot less.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 19:52 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact I would do the job for £500 including an engine.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 02:16 - 25 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cor, u sound like a decent guy. £500 for labour + engine. Thats an offer nobody can refuse. go for it mate. Cool

Peat
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:30 - 25 Aug 2004    Post subject: Cheers Reply with quote

Quote:
Get the bike back, bring it to me and I will do the job for alot less.

Kev, cheers for the offer mate... (I can hear my credit card screaming)... but it's in with the shop now and they've already ordered some of the bits/started work so much to the horror of my credit card it wouldn't be right for me to pull it now besides, I need it for next week so time is really tight.

Fantastic offer and I'll keep you in mind for next time, don't think Bracknell is too far from here. My mate ha just forked out loads to fix up his Kwak 1100... if only he'd known too...

Cheers

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 20:48 - 25 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also fit tyres and MOT bikes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1