Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advanced Police Motorcycle Training Courses

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

ianc1990
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:08 - 04 Jun 2011    Post subject: Advanced Police Motorcycle Training Courses Reply with quote

I've been interested in the Advanced Police Motorcycle course as I hear good things about it. It also lowers my insurance premium by £150 for the year which is a good side effect of the course!

My question....is this course open to the public and if so, how do i sign up!?

All the information I have found so far makes it look like its only available to the forces or a professional body that would benifit from the course.

Can anyone offer any further information on this and does anyone know if it takes place in the York area?

Failing this, I'll probably end up doing the IAM's course!

Thanks

GREENI3
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 04 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advance police motorcycle course? Haven't heard of it tbh.

Unless you mean the Bikesafe courses which are led by the police and are open to anyone.
https://www.bikesafe.co.uk/

ianc1990
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:31 - 04 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's an option under 'advanced qualifications' when insuring my bike (with e-bike anyway)

GREENI3
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 04 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize it costs like 100 quid to do the course?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 04 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost me £30.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

mr.kris
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:06 - 04 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to do one if I could find one cheap
TS50X---CM125---MZ150---Z250---RS125---ZXR250---BANDIT600---TRX850---TL1000S---CBF600---ZX6R---BANDIT1200S---CG125---VFR800---CBR1000F---CG125---CG125---CB900F---CB900F---CG125---TUONO1000R---KLR600---GSX1300R HAYABUSA---VFR400NC30

ZX6R & CG125 & CB900F now in use!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ianc1990
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:09 - 04 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like its £60 online.

Do they vary by region?

Bikesafe knocks off £100 off my annual premium. The iams knocks off £150 but costs £139 to do.

To be honest, im not too bothered about the price, its all about the quality of training and a course that could one day save my life!

mr.kris
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:17 - 04 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to do one if I could find one cheap
TS50X---CM125---MZ150---Z250---RS125---ZXR250---BANDIT600---TRX850---TL1000S---CBF600---ZX6R---BANDIT1200S---CG125---VFR800---CBR1000F---CG125---CG125---CB900F---CB900F---CG125---TUONO1000R---KLR600---GSX1300R HAYABUSA---VFR400NC30

ZX6R & CG125 & CB900F now in use!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

huskie69
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:48 - 04 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the rest of the UK, but it looks like the bikesafe course is free up here in North Wales (£10 admin fee). I'm seriously considering attending.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:29 - 05 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done BikeSafe and appear to get exactly £0.00 discount from it, from the insurers who even count it as an advanced qualification. It's worth doing on its own merits though.

Cunnington
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:44 - 05 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the bikesafe course with Fife Constabulary a few years back, and it didnt cost anything.

There were supposed to be four candidates for the two traffic officers but 2 people didnt turn up (maybe if a fee was charged people would be less inclined to break commitments?), meaning I was one on one with an advanced police motorcyclist for the best part of a day.

I'm pretty certain that you would get something from the course no matter what level you are at - the observation skills of these guys are amazing and something I aspire to when I am out.

We were told that they could not be seen to condone speeding as they would be following you on a marked bike, so we couldnt break the speed limit - I cant believe the size of my grin having spent a day not breaking 50mph.

If you could get a place, I would go for it!

aurther11
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:20 - 10 Jul 2011    Post subject: Advanced Police Motorcycle Training Courses Reply with quote

Thanks for the information........really very useful tips......

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 16 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not thinking of the DVLA - Enhanced Rider Scheme by any chance are you?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:38 - 16 Jul 2011    Post subject: Re: Advanced Police Motorcycle Training Courses Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure what the OP is talking about is what serving officers get put through prior to becoming official police bikers.
You have to have been in the police for a couple of years to get in to traffic I think, then in traffic for a couple of years to get on to bikes... or something like that.

Overall, rather a lot of effort to get money off your insurance Smile.

Bike safe is considered an 'assessment' not a course generally - but some places will offer you money off anyway.
IAM is probably your best bet, if your local group is good.

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 01 Aug 2011    Post subject: Re: Advanced Police Motorcycle Training Courses Reply with quote

G wrote:
I'm pretty sure what the OP is talking about is what serving officers get put through prior to becoming official police bikers.
You have to have been in the police for a couple of years to get in to traffic I think, then in traffic for a couple of years to get on to bikes... or something like that.

Correct Thumbs Up

Minimum of 2 years probation walking the streets or driving a panda car, then pass the selection board for traffic, then obtain your class 1 car ticket, and then after about 12 - 18 months when you have done all your other courses, and if a vacancy arrives, then you may get selected for a bike course, although very few forces do the full advanced class 1 course anymore.

The advanced bike course is without doubt the best one I ever did, beaten only by the two yearly refresher when it was a 2 week jolly, and it is also good for losing weight as sheer concentration makes the pounds fall off Wink

The closest you can get to a full Police advanced quailfication id the RoSPA advanced test.

IAM offers a pass or fail, and having been an examiner for both (still a current RoSPA examiner) the good IAM passes are very good, but those who scrape through would have difficulty in obtaing a bronze grade with RoSPA.

RoSPA grade the tests, so a RoSPA gold rider would have the civillian equal of a Police class 2 and would be capable of obtaining a Police class 1 with a little extra training.

Silver is also an excellent grade, whilst Bronze is a good safe ride with room for improvement.

There is also a re-test requirement, where with the IAM you take one test and providing you pass and pay your subscriptions, you can still call yourself an advanced driver or rider at the age of 95 Embarassed

Bikesafe is as already mentioned, simply a taster, an introduction to the principlals of advanced riding, it is not a course it is not a qualification, although I have often spoken to riders that they are Police trained when Bikesafe is all they have done.

It is a useful introduction if you have never experienced what it is about or what is involved, but the principals or techniques cannot be learnt in 1 or 2 days.

Stonefly
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:51 - 06 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anybody do, or even remember, the old RAC/ACU training courses?
I remember doing mine based at a multi-storey car park in Wolverhampton in 1980!!!
Its a real shame they stopped being run. They probably stopped me damaging myself in my early days on two wheels.

I do recall it was a 6 week course. I attended for a few hours on Sunday mornings and it ended with a riding test plus some questioning, I think.
I passed my tests (wish I still had my certificate) and seem to recall getting a bit of insurance discount for my efforts.
Previous....Yamaha FS1E, Honda SS50, Suzuki AP50, BSA Bantam D14, Honda CD175, Honda CB250N, Kawasaki Z250A3, Yamaha RD250E, Kawasaki Z400, Kawasaki Z500, Kawasaki GPz550, Honda NTV600, Kawasaki GT750, Kawasaki Z1000R, Kawasaki GPX250
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nutter
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:00 - 16 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you T.C.

I was thinking of becoming a police officer to eventrully get on the bikes, but decided not too as my tongue slips sometimes in the heat of the moment, and I may say something I shouldn't....but instead have decided on focusing on becoming a motorcycle instructor

I've only just passed mod 2 DAS (somewhow) after riding to what I understand of police motorcycle roadcraft (from the book), which has saved my bacon many a time and almost failed me at test

Thanks for explaining RoSPRA's systems in laymens terms

philoldsmobil...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:05 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know if the police are very interested in louder pipes for bikesafe courses? I can put the DB killers in if need be, but i'd rather not. Problem is, the Ducati is quite loud with them out...

Snodvan
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:58 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stonefly wrote:
Did anybody do, or even remember, the old RAC/ACU training courses?
I remember doing mine based at a multi-storey car park in Wolverhampton in 1980!!!
Its a real shame they stopped being run. They probably stopped me damaging myself in my early days on two wheels.

I do recall it was a 6 week course. I attended for a few hours on Sunday mornings and it ended with a riding test plus some questioning, I think.
I passed my tests (wish I still had my certificate) and seem to recall getting a bit of insurance discount for my efforts.

I remember the RAC/ ACU courses very well. I even instructed on the local one - think it was in about 1968-69. They were good courses because they were stretched out of a few weeks giving the participants opportunities to test out the things they had learned before the next session. Because the same group of guys turned up over several weeks they developed a sort of group character which also helped the learning. Some guys used to come back to the training ground on Sunday morning even after their course had finished - just for the fun of meeting other bike-minded folk

Snod

SuzukiTom
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 23 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is it you hope to get from the course? theres a many ways to skin a cat you see!

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:03 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how many of these advanced training things are there available?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:05 - 25 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikesafe isn't a 'course' - it's a one day assessment with a bit of training.

Plenty of IAM and Rospa groups around the country that will give you proper training.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1