Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stripping the NSR Subframe

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 03:46 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Stripping the NSR Subframe Reply with quote

For reasons undisclosed, I'm taking the subframe off the NSR and stripping it. Now in addition to the obvious steps such as disconnecting the battery etc, can anyone give me a walkthrough, or a guide as to what needs to be done to take the subframe in its entirety to bits?

Thanks all Cool .

<edit> this isn't inspired by the thread i recently discovered where goose replaced the subframe Cool .

(How do I get my subframe painted like that though - it'd be great :O

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:09 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Goose had his powdercoated, not painted. Its much tougher and looks much better to have it coated. The nearest place I know of to you is in Castleford, near Wakefield. Its called LSN coatings 01977 604461 I have used them before and got some great stuff done there.

As for the subframe....... I have no idea Very Happy

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 06:13 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

taking the subframe off shouldnt be too hard, should be a max of 4 bolts holding it to the frame i'd imagine

the 'difficukt' bit would be the wiring that is thread all over the subframe, but that is just a case of undoing any bolts you see, removing the tail light, indicators, stuff like that, then just pulling it all away from the subframe, battery box etc should all be able to be removed after you take the subframe off the main frame, makes it easier then

advisable to TAKE SOME PICS of the bike before you start ripping it apart, so you can see where all the wires are routed

and obviously take the seat and cowling off before any of the above
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 08:20 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Smile. At some point the wiring loom on the bike's been severely f*cked with, there's wires all over the place. I might see if I can tidy some of them up, but I really don't want to push my luck.

I'm just bothered about rear brake fluid reservoir etc etc.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Obviously first of all the fairing, then the wiring harnes from the rear light and indicators, then the battery. Coolant hose from the water bottle, take the oil tank off. There are 3 bolts, one long one with 8mm (I think) hex key heads, then two short bolts either side further up the frame. That is as much as I can remember, from there it can be taken off and the undertray etc removed.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 12:19 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr jamez wrote:
Well Obviously first of all the fairing, then the wiring harnes from the rear light and indicators, then the battery. Coolant hose from the water bottle, take the oil tank off. There are 3 bolts, one long one with 8mm (I think) hex key heads, then two short bolts either side further up the frame. That is as much as I can remember, from there it can be taken off and the undertray etc removed.

Sounds good, except I don't remember their being a coolant hose or an oil tank under my seat.

I'll see how it goes Smile.

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: subframe Reply with quote

here is the picture

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 20:36 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

W00t \o/.

Successfully had the bike down to its bare bones (arse end at least), did a damn good clean, rerouted most of the wiring loom, so it looks tidier and i've got more free space, tightened the chain (nasty tight spot though Confused ), and given the bike a damn good clean Very Happy . I've cleaned all the minky areas, sorted out the horrible mess left by the sprockets, lubed the chain, and polished and polished and polished with one alcohol degreaser, one petroleum degreaser and some Mr Sheen Very Happy .

There's nothing more that I can realistically clean on the NSR, I've conqeured the crap and muck of the NSR Very Happy Very Happy

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:

Sounds good, except I don't remember their being a coolant hose or an oil tank under my seat.

I'll see how it goes Smile.

Mine is a much older model, so has the coolant resevoir and oil tank under the seat Smile I just forgot that your one one was a late model.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 244 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1