Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thinking of buying NSR 125...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:47 - 29 Aug 2004    Post subject: Thinking of buying NSR 125... Reply with quote

I've seen a second hand NSR for sale which I'm quite keen on. Its a 2003 model, black. The description is '1050 miles, slight damage, but not major, rides ok, £1,950 ono.' In the picture the bike looks pretty smart and the mileage seems about right for that age.

Thing is I'm not too good on price for these things so does that seem about right? What sort of price would it have been new? (not that they make them anymore, just wondering) Not too worried if there's minor damage to the fairing as that can be easily repaired and Honda have a good reputation for reliability. All good replies will be blessed with much karma Laughing Praying
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 29 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems an ok price to me. It would have been 3 grand new. I'm sure you could get a few more quid off it after some haggling.

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 29 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assess the damage properly, work out what it's likely to cost, then make your mind up. If you, or your mates know what you're doing with bikes, go for it, but if you're going to have to have the work done for you be careful 'cos buying a 'fixer upper' can wind up costing more than an undamaged bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 29 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like the above poster said, if you know someone who is knowledgeable about bikes/cars then take them with you. £1900 is a lot to pay for a lemon Thumbs Up

In the submissions and comments forum there is a guide to buying a second hand bike. As long as the bike has not been crashed, mechanicaly speaking everything should be in perfect working order as it is a very new bike. The only thing that the owner could have really done some damage to is the engine, e.g. not running it in properley when they got the bike, thrashed from cold, cheap oil etc.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 29 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd approach with caution and if you're genuinely commited to buying, a HPI check would be advisable as it will reveal the full history of the bike... crash damage, insurance write off, outstanding finance etc. 1900 seems a bit too cheap to be safe and as Mr Jamez said... it's a lot to pay for a lemon. Quiz the seller on what oil he's used and whether he's warmed it up prior to riding, what is his genuine reasong for selling and insist on why there is a low milage. I've ridden my friend's NSR 125R X reg and it seemed to cut off when riding straight on without warming up... Bring a friend with you that may have mechanical sense or another NSR riding chum. A good condition book price will reach around 2,300 quid. Since it's a reasonably new bike and if it was bought from a franchise dealer, you will be covered by the Honda Warranty and possibly their AA homestart scheme... but check this with seller...

Other than that.... go for it mate!!! If it's a gem, twist his arm and you'll be screaming once you get it in its powerband on the way home Mr. Green Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:51 - 30 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 2003 model, £1900 does sound slightly cheap. But as everyone has said, assess the damage, and pay what you think its worth, and not too much more.

I would like to add though, my mate sold his '98 import NSR for £2000, with about 4K on the clock, so be aware of this!

Craig G(Noggin)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 246 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1