Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Mod 1 - Failed: UPDATE - failed again :-(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Intruder_Andy
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 23 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:42 - 06 Jul 2011    Post subject: Mod 1 - Failed: UPDATE - failed again :-( Reply with quote

Hi guys, had my mod 1 today on day 2 of my DAS and locked up the rear wheel on the emergency stop - instant fail. Well gutted. Anyways just thought I'd let you all know.

Andy


Last edited by Intruder_Andy on 17:05 - 05 Aug 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bike Bunker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 06 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh no waay gutted Sad

Goodluck next time Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jodie
Crazy Courier



Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 06 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to let it get you down Andy, you've seen on this forum how often it happens.
Get it booked straight away and good luck next time Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rtho782
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 06 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having this problem in mod1 training.....

Then I did as a biker friend suggested, cover the back brake but don't put any force on it at all, do all your breaking with the front.

As long as they think you are using the back as well it is fine, the front has more than enough stopping power.

The E-Stop isn't really much of an E-Stop, more of an "unplanned" stop, that is, control is more important that "fuck me I need to stop NOW or I will get run over by that train"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

maccidees2002
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 06 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtho782 wrote:


Then I did as a biker friend suggested, cover the back brake but don't put any force on it at all, do all your breaking with the front.

As long as they think you are using the back as well it is fine, the front has more than enough stopping power.


I was given that advice off a few peeps off here when I got stuck in the habit of hitting the back brake too hard on practice runs.... worked a treat on the day so all good.

Good luck with the retry Thumbs Up
____________________
Theory= 11/3/2011 , C.B.T= 11/3/2011 , Mod 1= 14/3/2011 , Mod 2 18/3/2011.
Bikes= 1992 xj600s & 1998 cbr600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 06 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck on the fail. Shrug it off and learn from it. As above said. Just cover the rear brake. When you apply the front brake your weight will shift enough to push the rear brake down all you need.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 23 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 06 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Bad luck on the fail. Shrug it off and learn from it. As above said. Just cover the rear brake. When you apply the front brake your weight will shift enough to push the rear brake down all you need.


Bad luck...............I also failed my mod 1 today also................but i locked the front wheel and ended up on the floor..... Embarassed


Hope you dont have to wait to long for a retest...........and Good luck with it...........

Ive booked in for it again on monday on my own bike.
____________________
Real bikers build their own Renovated and Riding a 1986 Honda CB125TD-C called the Pup. Full Licence
13/09/2012, 1994 Moto Guzzi 750 Strada
Can-Do Girl that does spanners TOO!
TheSmiler: binning it is better than going around a roundabout the wrong way
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MadCatLady
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 06 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let it get to you. Best of luck for next time Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McFlufferson
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 01 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:33 - 07 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's harsh. Seriously though, like it's already been said a hundred times, it happens to so many people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Oldie
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, bad luck folks. Just gotta keep plugging away and it'll be over with Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Intruder_Andy
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 23 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:02 - 05 Aug 2011    Post subject: UDATE - Failed again! Reply with quote

Re-booked, got thru emergency stop ok, peged it thru the speed trap for the swerve (65kph!!!!) and lost it when I tried to stop after the swerve, locked it up, fishtailed it and ended up 10 yrds past the cones. BUGGER! Just cant seem to get the stopping technique right!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 05 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's rough mate.

Sounds like you went into a kind of 'oh crap' mode when you had to brake. I did that yesterday day when I had to stop sharpish and locked the back wheel (2nd time in 2 years) but I wasn't concentrating Embarassed

You know how to stop okay otherwise you wouldn't have managed the emergency stop. Just keep practising stopping and remember on the swerve after you come through the trap, come off the throttle and let your speed carry you through the swerve and down the straight to the box that way you can come to a slower more controlled stop with less brake.

Good luck on the re-take.
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatsTheBadge...
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:04 - 07 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mod 1 wants getting rid of!

When I did mine my Instructor advised that when you use your front brake it's about 70-80% of your braking force and that you should apply then squeeze to brake harder, just gently covering the back brake, that way you won't lock the back wheel and you stand less chance of locking the front which is a lot more dangerous.

It's a good way of doing it, and works well. Panic braking is so easy to both on test and out on the road!

You will do it, be positive and just keep focussed that you'll soon have that pesky Mod 1 Certificate!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker Alex
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:23 - 07 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I locked up twice on the 'emergancy stop', I couldnt understand it. I went away TRYING to lock the back wheel up at home but I couldnt.

Anyway, so I loosened up the rear drum brake when I got the the test centre. There was no way I could of locked it.- I passed after this

what pissed me off was when I finished, some guy did the stop but it was like 5x the stopping distance as me. I was like WTF and they said it is a CONTROLLED STOP not an emergancy stop. An instructor even said you could go to the fence if you wanted.

Try and find a post on here where someone has failed because they did not stop in a short enough distance. I couldnt find one.

But you do have to stop in the box when you do the swerve

In both instances roll off the throttle as soon as you have done the speed trap but just incase I would practice this and see if you are comfortable with the engine braking whilsts doing a swerve. I didnt even need to use the brakes when stopping in the box.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

95Theses
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:44 - 07 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

cover your back brake with your big toe, nothing else.

80% front 20% rear. It's not that hard really and it is good practice for being on the road. I stopped well short of the examiner in the pouring rain after passing the speed trap at 59 KPH so it can be done.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:41 - 08 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't use hardly any back brake when I did my mod 1, I came from riding a 2 stroke with awful brakes and no engine braking, so I have no problems grabbing a large handful of front brake, the more weight you have on the front, the less likely you are to drop it, my technique was to get hard on the front, then ease it off slightly and apply a tiny dab of rear, if you are locking the rear up you are using too much back brake, and if you do it on the road chances are that skid will turn into a drop.

Not going to say you wont drop it, but be a bit more assertive on the front, Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:48 - 08 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

95Theses wrote:
cover your back brake with your big toe, nothing else.

.


This.

The natural weight shift when you hit the front brake will cause the rear brake pedal to depress just enough to activate the brake without locking the wheel up. Get out and practice in the empty streets around your house.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Intruder_Andy
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 23 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 24 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all thanks for the replies, i understand the technique to be used and as stated I did emergency/controlled stop ok 2nd time round.

I just need to practice but on a 500 with reard disc brake as I have a 125 cruiser with rear drum brake which takes al ot more pressure to activate so practicing on this won't really help much to get the correct technique fine tuned.

Think when i rebook mod 1 again i'll ask for an hours practice session before hand as well to get used to the bike a bit.

Thanks again all,
Andy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Codemonkey
Crazy Courier



Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:28 - 24 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, keep trying, you'll crack it in the end! Took me 3 attempts then passed Mod 2 1st time no problems. Practice is definitely the key Thumbs Up
____________________
Test Passed 10/05/2011 Current bike: XJ6-N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:55 - 24 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intruder_Andy wrote:
.........Think when i rebook mod 1 again i'll ask for an hours practice session before hand as well to get used to the bike a bit


+1 I would say that's a definite plan.

Good luck on the re-take
Thumbs Up
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikesplash
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:57 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Re: Mod 1 - Failed: UPDATE - failed again :-( Reply with quote

Intruder_Andy wrote:
Hi guys, had my mod 1 today on day 2 of my DAS and locked up the rear wheel on the emergency stop - instant fail. Well gutted. Anyways just thought I'd let you all know.

Andy


oh dear! Sorry to hear that Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sherwood Bambi
Nova Slayer



Joined: 22 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Re; MOD 1 Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that - bad luck !

Keep at it - you'll get there in the end I'm sure.

Did you get the chance to practice on the Test Centre yard before hand ?

When I did mine we had a couple of hours booked by our instructor on a Sunday afternoon - it made all the difference on the day !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trikeschick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Codemonkey wrote:
Never mind, keep trying, you'll crack it in the end! Took me 3 attempts then passed Mod 2 1st time no problems. Practice is definitely the key Thumbs Up


Took me four times to pass Mod 1 and like Codemonkey passed Mod 2 first time! I really do believe that those extra Mod1 lessons contributed to my Mod2 skills and confidence.

Keep going, keep learning and you will be fine!
____________________
"Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 1.2 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 125.63 Kb