Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fuel tap questions. - Closed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 13:14 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Fuel tap questions. - Closed Reply with quote

On my bike the fuel tap has 3 settings. Reserve - On - Prime.

If I understand correctly the tap has some sort of vacuum so that no petrol comes out when it's on or reserve without the bike being turned on. Well nothing seems to come out when the tank is disconnected from the hoses.

My question is what is the Prime setting used for? I know when it's set to this a small flow of petrol is released. But what situation would you use this for?

Last edited by ProXimaCore on 21:44 - 30 Aug 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:19 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prime lets fuel through without vacuum being needed. If for any reason your float bowls were dry, you could fill them by putting it to prime, which is easier on the batter than spinning the engine on "on" until enough fuel gets into the carbs to start the engine.

Don't leave it on prime though. Has a habit of filling your engine with petrol.

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:25 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What robby said - beat me to it.

On and reserve are via a diaphragm that doesn't open unless it's sucked by a vacuum from one of the carbs, so you don't get flow unless the engine is running.

If you have to disconnect the pipes to get the tank off, mark them carefully so they go back in the correct place. If you get the vacuum pipe on the prime outlet you'll fill the crankcases with petrol when you turn it on.

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 13:32 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
If you have to disconnect the pipes to get the tank off, mark them carefully so they go back in the correct place. If you get the vacuum pipe on the prime outlet you'll fill the crankcases with petrol when you turn it on.

Oh dear. I may have got this wrong. My bike is running rather strange now. Well i wouldn't actually say it's running. It bump starts after great difficulty but now has this huge flat spot around the 5krpm mark. What effects would I notice having connected the pipes the wrong way round? Will it be a case of switching them back and it will be ok? Or will I have to do something else now to get it fixed?

There are 3 pipes on the underside of the tank. 2 of them were thicker rubber pipes and were connected up. The 3rd was a thinner short tube that wasn't connected anywhere. I'm assuming this is just a breather pipe?

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:53 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Usually' (good disclaimer that Wink ) the tank breather comes from a metal tube somewhere near the top of the underside of the tank. It'll be a long, thin tube that just pokes down the back of the gearbox.

If the petrol tap bolts into the bottom of the tank and there's no fuel pump, you'll have two pipes from it - a thickish one that feeds petrol to (probably) the middle of the carb bank, and a thinner one that operates the diaphragm. This connects to somewhere on the engine side of the carbs - inlet manifold, carb mounting stub or whatever.

I'll have a dig for some pics

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:08 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't find the right one, any chance you could take a picture or two?

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 17:12 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Can't find the right one, any chance you could take a picture or two?

Sorry, I don't have a camera. Really need to get one!

My dad reckons we fitted the pipes back on the right way as there was a bend in them from the way they had been sitting over time. So more than likely they're in the right place. I really don't know what to do next.

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:57 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

To save trawling through a load of posts and probably missing something, can you give us a list of your troubles?

Bike, mileage, service history, bits fitted/removed (air filters, cans etc), nature of problems, what you've tried so far. The more info the better, let's try and sort it. Thumbs Up

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 01:27 - 15 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
To save trawling through a load of posts and probably missing something, can you give us a list of your troubles?

Bike, mileage, service history, bits fitted/removed (air filters, cans etc), nature of problems, what you've tried so far. The more info the better, let's try and sort it. Thumbs Up

Bike: Suzuki GSXR400R GK76a 1990
Mileage:15,000 miles
Service History: Not sure what it's had done to it completely. I've misplaced the bits of paper.
Bits fitted: Scorpion race can.

The starter wont turn over as I've ran the battery flat from trying and don't have a charger at hand just now. The battery is making a very weird rapid clicking sound though when I press the starter button. Don't know if that's normal of a flat battery or not though. Sounds weird.

I've got a big downhill driveway/street. Usually takes 3 or 4 attempts at bump starting down the hill to get it going. Not the usual response to a flat battery bump start. It sounds like it's having trouble with something else.

It will run for maybe 5 minutes while having an enormous flat spot that goes from 4krpm to 6krpm. Then gradually the revs will die down more and more till the bike just stalls. Then it wont start for a few hours again and just does the same as before.

First thing would be the oil. Bike was running fine. But it's drinking 3 litres of oil in a couple of months. It was getting very low and it seemed to be responding funny. So I topped it up and it was fine for a couple of weeks. I now however have noticed that I've put too much in it and I have now corrected that today. So could have maybe damaged something from having not enough and also having too much.

I've changed the spark plugs yesterday. The old ones looked ok. Only a little dirty on the tips.

I tried putting fresh fuel in the tank too. Was the problem I had after having a similar problem on the NSR last year.

Anything else?

Help much appreciated by the way. I'm totally lost on my own as you can probably see from my complete lack of knowledge. Thumbs Up

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:37 - 15 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProXimaCore wrote:

The starter wont turn over as I've ran the battery flat from trying and don't have a charger at hand just now. The battery is making a very weird rapid clicking sound though when I press the starter button. Don't know if that's normal of a flat battery or not though. Sounds weird.

Sounds like the starter solenoid is chattering, classic sign of a low battery. When you thumb the starter button it energises a coil in the solenoid which close two big contacts to power the starter motor. The motor drags so much power it drops the battery volts, and if the battery is low it'll suck enough juice so that there's not enough left to keep the coil energised, so it drops the contacts open again. This cuts the supply to the motor and now means there's enough juice to re-power the coil so if you've still got the button pressed it tries to close the contacts again. The motor sucks the volts down, the coil drops off and the contacts open again. You're effectively switching it on and off rapidly. A fully charged battery is the only answer.

ProXimaCore wrote:
It will run for maybe 5 minutes while having an enormous flat spot that goes from 4krpm to 6krpm. Then gradually the revs will die down more and more till the bike just stalls. Then it wont start for a few hours again and just does the same as before.

Could be a number of things alas. First thing I'd check, as you've no history, is the valve clearances. If they're tight then when the engine warms up they'll hold a valve or two open and the engine will struggle and eventually die.

4-5000 revs is about where it should come onto the main jets. A lot of bikes have a flat spot around here as standard, it's 'built in' to pass noise tests. The tests say that the bike should be driven past the noise meter at so many revs and then accelerated away - if you build a flat spot in there then it won't scream away and it'll pass the test.

But you say 'enormous'. Has someone been fiddling with the carbs and fitted bigger jets to compensate for the race can? Setting carbs up is quite an art, more so on a little screamer like that, I reckon they need a careful strip down and thorough check over - not a job for the faint hearted. Alternatively, do you have a standard can you could try on to see if it makes it better? Maybe the carbs haven't been fiddle with and they need it to match the race can.

ProXimaCore wrote:
First thing would be the oil. Bike was running fine. But it's drinking 3 litres of oil in a couple of months. It was getting very low and it seemed to be responding funny. So I topped it up and it was fine for a couple of weeks. I now however have noticed that I've put too much in it and I have now corrected that today. So could have maybe damaged something from having not enough and also having too much.

I remember this now. That is way too much oil usage unless you're doing mega-miles and as it's not running right I guess you're not. It's got to be going somewhere - if it's not leaking out the bottom it's getting pumped into the air filter box or being burnt - you should see some evidence of this: white smoke out the exhaust or heavily carbonned up sparks plugs

Too little oil and you can wreck the engine. Too much and it should pump it out the breather pipe, if it can't then it would pressurise the cases and pop an oil seal or a gasket.

ProXimaCore wrote:
I've changed the spark plugs yesterday. The old ones looked ok. Only a little dirty on the tips.

That sounds ok

You need a fully charged battery before anything else. Don't whack it on a car charger flat out for an hour, that'll knacker it. Best to get an Optimate type charger and let it brew up slowly, and that'll help keep it good if you connect it every time you park up for the night.

Check the valve clearances and if possible get a compression check done, any reasonable garage should be able to do that for you. That will tell you if you've got serious problems in the cylinders - worn/broken rings or sticking valves, head gasket troubles etc.

If you've got good compression, a healthy battery and a nice spark then you're looking at the carbs but the other bits are easier to check first.

Good luck.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:32 - 15 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

As mentioned the noise from the starter relay is normal when the battery is flat.

Also note that the bike needs a reasonable amount of power (either from the battery or from the charging system) to run. If you charging system isn't working then the bike will die (or with some charging systems they only click into charging mode when the engine has been revved past a certain point, but only really had this on cars).

While many bikes do have an engineered flat spot at half peak revs (for the noise tests), your bike is (from memory) a GSXR400 which revs fairly high and so 4000~5000 would be well under the point of the flat spot. With CV carbs the fueling at that point will be controlled by the needle jet.

In addition to the point Guest has mentioned I would also suggest that you check that fuel is getting through to the carbs. If the breather pipe for the fuel tank is blocked / kinked then fuel cannot leave the tank to go to the carbs. Try getting the bike to run then open the fuel cap and see if it then idles. Also try starting the bike with the fuel tap on prime (this way you have eliminated the vacuum pipe and the breather pipe).

If you had the pipes connected the wrong way round then you would have just filled the engine with petrol and it is unlikely the bike would run at all.

All the best

Keith

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 13:54 - 15 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot to mention one other thing. Possibly important.

I've had problems with the spark plug leads as they aren't sealed and were leaking in water. Causing the bike to act funny and struggling up through the revs a little like I've described above when it rained. The last time the bike did work properly was before the last outing in a heavy downpour. Since then it hasn't been the same. When this happened before, the bike always righted itself after a day or so when it had dried up. But the next day I went out with the bike I had to bump start it for the first time. Each time I wanted to start the bike from there it took a bigger effort at starting. All the above problems then followed.

Don't know if that's relevant but probably worth sharing. Can't believe I forgot about that bit.

On top of all this the rear shock has lost all dampening too. I have got a spare one but that's all going to have to wait. Not having much luck lately. Everything ran so well for months too.

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:23 - 16 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah!

Try drying the coils out with a hair dryer and if it works ok. Won't affect the oil usage but it'll eliminate one thing.

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:17 - 16 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are 3 pipes on the underside of the tank. 2 of them were thicker rubber pipes and were connected up. The 3rd was a thinner short tube that wasn't connected anywhere. I'm assuming this is just a breather pipe?

I can't help but wonder if the third pipe is the vaccum pipe which may have came off the tap when you lifted the tank.

I am not that clued up on the bike, gsxr400?? but I know that the 750s of this era have three pipes, two large for fuel supply and one small one for vaccum, I would guess the short pipe that looks like it does nothing goes to a rubber manifold after one of the carbs, number2 possibly??? the 750tank breather comes out top of the tank, not sure if this is the same for the 400..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 19:49 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, finally back on to fixing this thing. (cheers for help so far guys.)

I finally got the battery charger back and charged the battery. The battery is very healthy now and has been for a few days so it looks like that's ok.

Just tried bump starting the thing. It seems to start to work then starts to shake the bike with big vibrations as it fails. So I'm stuck once more.

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:14 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have we eliminated the petrol tap yet? Turn tap to 'on' and remove one of the drain screws from a float bowl - you should get enough to fill the bowl and no more. If that's ok, then turn the tap to 'prime' - petrol should now flow through the bowl again.

If it passes that ok replace the drain screw, I'd say the tap and the pipes are working correctly and the tank is breathing.

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 20:28 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
remove one of the drain screws from a float bowl - you should get enough to fill the bowl and no more.

What's the float bowl? Confused Sorry I'm learning as we go here.

I have tried setting the tap to prime. Fuel does flow out of the tap that way. Well, dribbles out. I tried leaving it on the bike for a little while set to prime too in hope that it'd maybe pass some fuel through. I don't know if the hoses themselves are allowing petrol through though. Is that what you're trying to explain to me? Sorry I'm a bit uneducated this far into the whole bike mechanics.

Cheers again. Thumbs Up

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 21:46 - 30 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to close this off. I got the bike working tonight. As I originally suspected, the vacuum hose had come out of place. The connector had worked it's way loose from the carbs.

Thanks again for everyone that gave advice. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1