Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Metallic touch up paint

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

dipsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:59 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Metallic touch up paint Reply with quote

Can you buy metallic touch up paint Question

I dropped my SV the other day Sad cracking the side fairing which the other half has managed to repair Smile but I need to touch up the paint and was wondering if anyone knows if there is and where I can get the suzuki metallic silver touch up paint.

Any help gratefully received Smile

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:59 - 29 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm pretty sure you can't properly touch up metallic paint as the flake in it won't be a perfect match, not sure if that is 100% correct but from what I remember being told and from previous experience of trying it on car etc.

Think it requires a full respray in order to get it back to mint condition again.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 02:53 - 29 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

YamsR6 wrote:
Hi I'm pretty sure you can't properly touch up metallic paint as the flake in it won't be a perfect match, not sure if that is 100% correct but from what I remember being told and from previous experience of trying it on car etc.

Think it requires a full respray in order to get it back to mint condition again.

Yup, thats correct, full respray of the entire panel & then clear coat it. If the panel in question is next to another painted part you should blend the colour coat about half way across it, & then clear both panels completely. It's a PITA, but pays well Smile
DON'T sand the metallic....... just sand the panel, colour coat, clear coat & then colour sand/block it out to about 2000 grit. Never sand with your fingers, you just put grooves in the paint so be sure to use a block.

dipsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:22 - 29 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that guys Smile

I think its going to be a black stripe down each side Laughing

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:57 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what stickers are made for dipsy..... Very Happy

Here is a handy hint for small (and I mean small) chips and scratches in all kinds of paint - see if you can find some nail polish in the same colour! There are so many types/shades available now that it's not that difficult to match well, and if you apply it really carefully you can effect a pretty un-noticeable repair....

Probably best to use as a temporary measure until you get around to (can afford to?) do a proper respray but even so, cheap and effective. CAUTION though, test on an unobtrusive part before using on plastics as it's just possible it may melt it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 240 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1