Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bits and Bobs and what is worth bothering with???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

malb
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Bits and Bobs and what is worth bothering with??? Reply with quote

OK so everyone knows there are loads of extras available on the market but what is worth bothering with. Whether it be security wise or things to improve comfort, speed, or make the bike look pretty, what would you recommend.

For example One of my mates has bought Renthal handle bars for cornering, a small circular plastic mat thingy to stop the side stand from scratching the tarmac, and a pad to stop zips from scratching the fuel tank.

P.S. Sorry if this thread has been done before I had a look but couldn't find one
____________________
<-- I'm taller than Charley Boorman look
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant



Joined: 09 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think your be hard pushed to find a bike without a tank pad, there a very good bit of kit as your zips will scratch your tank.

Most accessories are junk (tyre flys etc) but i suppose if you need it then why not.

All i have in the way of stuff like that is a tankpad and a carbon fibre tax disk holder.
____________________
Bikes owned :- 2001 nsr125, 1999 zx6r, 2006 yzf-r1, 2009 xmax 250, 2012 yzf-r1, 2015 MT-07
Current bike : - 2016 MT-10
Crying or Very sad BCF member pops. sadly missed Crying or Very sad 1945-2003
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from bitter experience, crash bungs are always a good idea.
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends what you want

I can recommend full race system, filters and a well set up Powercommander

but then you may not have 2 grand to spend and a manic desire to go faster and faster and faster

and then need a turbo Rolling Eyes
____________________
187.3bhp = 201mph
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double bubble screens look good and are actually practical as they keep the wind off more than the standard ones, generally. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil



Joined: 02 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldnt live without my hugger, stops all the shit of the road manking up my back end. And my bike just looks naked without it.
I have a tank pad, and a small screen which helps on faster roads.
J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant



Joined: 09 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nkd666 wrote:
Speaking from bitter experience, crash bungs are always a good idea.



yeah i had them too, but i crashed and they cracked my frame Sad



i suppose looking at other bits i have i also have a DB screen and a full system sorry i thought u were talking about motrax stuff etc Laughing
____________________
Bikes owned :- 2001 nsr125, 1999 zx6r, 2006 yzf-r1, 2009 xmax 250, 2012 yzf-r1, 2015 MT-07
Current bike : - 2016 MT-10
Crying or Very sad BCF member pops. sadly missed Crying or Very sad 1945-2003
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:08 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Scottoiler, absolutely indispensable! Thumbs Up Very Happy
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

malb
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:35 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about coloured lights anyone bothered with them? I heard you can get lights with a blueish tint.
____________________
<-- I'm taller than Charley Boorman look
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT get blue lights. They are the most annoying thing in the history of annoying things. Oh - apart from wankers at work pissing on the toilet seats.
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue halogen lights are quite good, especially in drizzle and fog, the light seems to penetrate the murk better.

If I was going to buy one accessory for a motorcycle it would be to replace the standard Japanese rubber brake hoses with braided steel ones. The difference it makes to the efficiency and feedback in braking is unbelievable. I cannot understand why someone would make a bike with sexy billet alloy 6 pot callipers and then bolt rubber hoses to them.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

malb
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to be having words with Lee from work then!

EErrrr.. about the Blue Lights not the pissing on the toilet seats, just thought I'd better make that clear. Having said that I don't actually know if he does or not??? Confused
____________________
<-- I'm taller than Charley Boorman look
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant



Joined: 09 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill keep my rubber ones Laughing





they stop me......so i'm happy but i will but braided ones on at the end of this year when the rubber ones are due to be replaced Very Happy


especially if they make as much deference as you say Thumbs Up
____________________
Bikes owned :- 2001 nsr125, 1999 zx6r, 2006 yzf-r1, 2009 xmax 250, 2012 yzf-r1, 2015 MT-07
Current bike : - 2016 MT-10
Crying or Very sad BCF member pops. sadly missed Crying or Very sad 1945-2003
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:01 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank pad. Very useful and found on most bikes.
Braided hoses & better brake pads. Improves your brakes and the feel of them. Not expensive and easy to fit.
Crash bungs. Saves lots of damage on your bike in 99.9% of crashes and dropping it. You'll have to crash a bike quite hard for them to do damage to the frame.
Race can. Mainly tart factor (Razz). Does add a couple of bhp and make bikes run better.
Double bubble screen. Add comfort as gets more wind out your face, makes motorway miles easier and makes sitting at high speed easier.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

malb
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about ear plugs does anyone bother with them?

I know my cousin said that on long journeys they can be a god send... but I was wondering if they could be a little dangerous E.g. if you can't hear an emergency vehicle coming maybe!?!
____________________
<-- I'm taller than Charley Boorman look
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike is it?
What 'sort' of riding do you do? (ie fast road riding, commuting, etc etc)

Craig:
Braided hoses do make quite a difference on the tokico 6 pots to get rid of the slight spongeyness, not sure about the 4 pots.
The Yamaha brakes (r6 etc) are pretty damn good as standard and in my opinion don't really need anything extra.

Mr C:
Not everyone already has the fastest bike out there as it is Razz...
Not really worth spending £2k on a bike that isn't when that could get you one with a lot more power as stock in most cases Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fazed
Korn is my hero!



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:09 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

R&G`S , a rear hugger to stop rubbish going in your shock , and a nice screen for the high speed stuff Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:10 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ear plugs are good because they block lots of the wind noise out. You can still hear other vehicles and things like sirens. And a traffic police man told me I should get some as it gets loud above 120mph, however I'll just have to take his word as to how loud the wind noise is above 120mph. Razz

Getting earplugs free from work was probably a big reason why I used them lots. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien




Joined: 25 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my earplugs but only on longer rides as they do help alot. When i'm just out for a blast or not going very far I prefer hearing the exhaust etc.
____________________
02 Firestorm.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

malb
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G, I've got a Hyosung Comet 125cc well I will have tomorrow, so i don't fly along, but I do get to the speed limit as fast I can.

I will be using it for commuting and general use, as well as a bit of thrashing! although I'm fairly sensible.

See I'm still fairly new to biking so I'd kind of like to know what you guys think is worth getting. I don't think the Hyosung comes with a tank pad so thats the first thing I'll go for. There seems to be a general consensus that they are worth confronting the moths for!
____________________
<-- I'm taller than Charley Boorman look
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:19 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume it's new?

I don't think you can get crash mushrooms for it, but if you can, do.

I'm guessing you haven't passed your test.
Not taking the piss here, but the best thing you can spend your money on is training and doing your test. In the long run it will make your whole 'biking experience' much better.

If you do decide to make your bike look like a tart's handbag, do make sure you keep the original bits, as the tarty bits devalue the bike usually.


There are various 'mods' that could be done, but to be honest I doubt any will make a significant difference.

Ignoring the test, I'd spend the money on petrol and enjoy riding it Thumbs Up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

malb
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ear plugs are good because they block lots of the wind noise out. You can still hear other vehicles and things like sirens. And a traffic police man told me I should get some as it gets loud above 120mph, however I'll just have to take his word as to how loud the wind noise is above 120mph. Razz

Getting earplugs free from work was probably a big reason why I used them lots. Laughing


Sounds like you could use that as an alibi to me, so when you're caught doing 120mph just say that you where testing out your ear plugs! because a traffic policeman told you they would help stop noise.
____________________
<-- I'm taller than Charley Boorman look
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

malb
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:28 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I presume it's new?

I don't think you can get crash mushrooms for it, but if you can, do.

I'm guessing you haven't passed your test.
Not taking the piss here, but the best thing you can spend your money on is training and doing your test. In the long run it will make your whole 'biking experience' much better.

If you do decide to make your bike look like a tart's handbag, do make sure you keep the original bits, as the tarty bits devalue the bike usually.


There are various 'mods' that could be done, but to be honest I doubt any will make a significant difference.

Ignoring the test, I'd spend the money on petrol and enjoy riding it Thumbs Up.



Yeah its a 54 plate brand new! and no I haven't passed my full test yet.

I think your right I'll spend most of my money on lessons, tests, and advanced riders course etc. I wasn't really thinking of doing anything to increase the BHP because that would put me over the limit for a learner bike. I was however thinking of getting stuff like the chain guard to stop crap hitting the suspension etc.
____________________
<-- I'm taller than Charley Boorman look
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

leg-end
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 26 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2002 'blade has various "bits and bobs" some fittted by me, some fitted by the dealer as the bike was a demo for Datatool gadgets.

Datatool turn alert. Really useful for a middle aged guy like me, means you can never leave your indicators on Smile

Datatool revlight. Just a gimmick in my opinion.

Datatool digigear. Another gimmick, slightly useful as it stops me looking for seventh gear.

Datatool System III alarm. Good bit of kit.

Tank protector. Good bit of kit, stopped the fastenings on my leathers from damaging the tank.

NWS grab rail. Makes my wife feel more secure when going pillion, likewise for me when she rides and I go pillion. Looks naff though.

Crash bungs. Good idea, limited the damage when I was knocked off last year.

HEL Performance braided brake hoses. Excellent bit of kit, gives more feel to the brakes.

Sprint steering damper. Not essential but calms down the front on the bumpy surfaces tha seem to abound in Portsmouth and Hampshire.

Double bubble screen. Being a shorty this really works for me, lot less turbulancein the 100+ speed range.

Swing arm bobbins. Needed to use with a hook type paddock stand, makes rear wheel maintenance easier.

Visordown.com stickers. Essential on any bike Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

leg-end
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 26 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

malb wrote:
What about ear plugs does anyone bother with them?

I know my cousin said that on long journeys they can be a god send... but I was wondering if they could be a little dangerous E.g. if you can't hear an emergency vehicle coming maybe!?!


IMHO ear plugs are essnetial. I know my hearing has been damaged through riding in the past with out them. I now have some hearing loss in the middle range and find it difficult to follow what someone is saying to me when there's a lot of background conversation.

If you're using your mirrors and lane postioning correctly you should be aware of emergency vehicles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.72 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 139.07 Kb