Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Problems starting NSR 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

bobthebiker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:24 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Problems starting NSR 125 Reply with quote

I'm having a problem starting my honda NSR125. Pressing the starter switch makes a clicking sound but the engine won't fire on opening the throttle, or if it does it only goes to 2k revs and then the revs fall off and the engine dies.

There's plenty of petrol in the tank. Tried starting turning the choke on for a little while. Recently had a new spark plug. Engine kill switch is not on, and side stand is not down.

Sometimes, after a lot of trying the engine will start, but when riding the bike suffers from losing power when starting off in first gear.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This clicking.... are you talking about an electrical ticking sound (I would be guessing from under the seat/ tank)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bobthebiker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:32 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ticking sound is coming from the under the tank rather than under the seat.

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're sure it's not a mechanical sound, it sounds to me like the starter motor relay ticking. This happens when there is enough charge to get to the relay, but not enough to pass through it. Put your battery on charge and try again.

bobthebiker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:45 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help! I'll try recharging and see if that works. I think it is more of an electical sound. What would it mean if it was a mechanical sound?

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if it was mechanical, it would be a much more worrying noise, but if so it could be a number of things. Is the ticking sound evenly timed, the same amount of time apart, and it the engine definitely not turning over while this is happening?

bobthebiker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:06 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ticking is evenly timed and the engine does not tick over unless you hold the starter for a long time, then the engine will start but die soon after. I only just had the bike serviced, I'd have thought they'd have checked the charge on the battery. I'll have to get a charger or maybe its time for a new battery.

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be amazed at what doesn't get done when your bike is serviced (even when it's on the service sheet). It's been a long time since I had a small 2 stroke, but I think if it's mechanical you'd know about it. When my batteries tired I get the symptoms that I think you're describing. You'll pick up a basic charger from Argos (or similar) for under a tenner, and based on the description you give, im 90% sure that's your problem.

bobthebiker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:14 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your help!

paul
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:18 - 05 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh I have this problem with my nsr when it is left for a while, when i try to start it and give it a bit of throttle it just dies then i have to hold down the starter button for quite a while before it decides to tick over and when it is ticking over it doesn't like me giving it any throttle, i thinks its just a case of letting it warm up once it gets to tick over but as the others mentioned its worth charging your battery. hope this helps and stops you worrying, Smile

Paul

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 05 Sep 2004    Post subject: start Reply with quote

start choke on , without any action on the handle . the engine must go around 3000 rpm , then will go down slowly . as soon you feel the engine dying , but a bit of rpm then take the choke off . warm it 30s to 1 mn . if the engine stop you may have to do a bit of cleaning : carb , air filter , sparkplug . normally after 2 or 3 mn the idle must be 1500rpm . the max power may not be reached before 3 or 4 mn warming . the throttle screw adjustment is tight then unscrew 2 1/2 round
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1