Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any Advice For My 1st Track Day?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 22:49 - 07 Sep 2004    Post subject: Any Advice For My 1st Track Day? Reply with quote

Subject just about says it all.

I'm off for my first track day this weekend, and was wondering if any of the more track experienced have any really helpful tips for what to doa and what not to do.

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 22:59 - 07 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what my boss has told me, who used to race and has done many a track day.

Don't be influenced by others. Just because you're on an R6 and someone comes past you on a ZXR400 doesn't mean you've gotta chase after them. Go at your own pace.

I know this won't really apply too much to you, because after all, you're sensible enough to realise the above points, but apart from that I suppose it's just have fun. Oh, and make sure you give your bike a good check over before you take it to the track Smile

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 23:04 - 07 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooby wrote:
Oh, and make sure you give your bike a good check over before you take it to the track Smile

Not taking my bike, they are being supplied Smile
But I will make sure everything is OK before I go out.

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 23:07 - 07 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

One piece of advice that they'll probably give you trackside, but I'll tell you anyways...

My boss and a few of his mates went to a track day whereby the bikes were provided, CBR600's. Don't be led into this whole, 'I don't care if I bin it, it's not my bike' malarky, one of his mates was, binned it and broke both legs. Now he's in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Just have fun, nobody can expect to be the next Rossi on their first trackday, it's just gonna be good knowing everyone's going the same way!

tgabber
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:14 - 07 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooby wrote:
'I don't care if I bin it, it's not my bike' malarky, one of his mates was, binned it and broke both legs

A good reason I think for using your own bike, that plus being familiar with how it handles.

Anyway, I'm doing my first trackday tomorrow so hopefully will be in a position to report back with practical advice shortly... Confused

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 23:28 - 07 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

tgabber wrote:
being familiar with how it handles.

Not going to be a problem, because I'll be riding Tornados anyway, so the handling will be similar if not the same.

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 23:29 - 07 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont crash Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Minge
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:43 - 07 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to the instructors! They know what they are on about, the ones at Pembrey where I was a couple of weeks ago were excellent.
Is fuel supplied? If not it's worth taking a can because they usually bump the price up a bit if you need to buy on site.
Dont forget pics to bore everyone stupid when you get home Mr. Green

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 23:44 - 07 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, this the one in Europe? remember James telling me you were invited. Have fun, sounds like a good deal to me Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 00:32 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zxr400er wrote:
Dont crash Wink

Now that hadn't occured to me Smile

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 00:36 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
Ah, this the one in Europe? remember James telling me you were invited. Have fun, sounds like a good deal to me Very Happy

Yes, this is indeed my little jolly to Italy - I'm dead excited but also quite nervous Very Happy Confused
Minge, fuel won'tbe an issue as the whole thing is free and all bikes/fuel/food/beer is supplied - beer obviously only at the after track party on the Saturday night, even then not much because it's back to the track on Sunday Cool
As for the camera, I'm going to try and fill my 256Meg memory card and a few video tapes too!

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 23:19 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one key piece of advice is very simple:

Go at your pace and no-one elses.

Enjoy!

jammy git

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:22 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it's in Italy they might not be having to tell everyone some of the advice they're having to tell everyone at the trackday briefings now after someone tried to sue a trackday oranisor for not telling them, but just so you're aware the grass offers less grip than the tarmac does. Laughing Laughing

Enjoy it. Mr. Green Thumbs Up

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 23:33 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
but just so you're aware the grass offers less grip than the tarmac does. Laughing Laughing

Hmm, hadn't even considered that - but I don't intend to spend any time on the grass Very Happy

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 09 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drink plenty of water and eat sugary things in between sessions!

Take it easy for the first couple of sessions and learn where the track goes, thinking about where you need to be for each corner and where you will/would be when you are going quicker.

Take at least two laps to warm your tyres at the beginning of every session. You will find people will probably come past you on the second lap, but screw them, it just gives you chance to pass them later on Twisted Evil

Stick to your own pace, and don't get drawn into 'racing' with your mates, everybody has their own speed, but this alters when on the track.

Don't focus on slower riders - look past them, not at them, otherwise you just end up following them lap after lap, not being able to understand why you can't pass them Rolling Eyes Embarassed

If you come up behind a much slower rider try to pass them down the straights instead of outbraking them into corners, and give them plenty of space when you do pass them. They are probably nervous enough without you practising Rossi type overtakes.

and finally

RELAX, and have fun, because in the end, thats why you are doing it Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 235 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1