"Universal" Spanners

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 00:22 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollins wrote:
Does anyone remember, or own, a Gator Grip?? That all-round universal one-size-fits-all miracle wrench & sprocket which had 50 odd pins to grip nuts & bolts with? I seem to remember it was a Yank tool (no offence Smile ), advertised on the cheap in an over-the-top ad "for a limited time only".

I bet it was made of Brie, or a similar soft cheese.

heard they just round nuts off, or pins bend/break under heavy pressure, gimic tool think it was on one of those "JML" ads
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rollins
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:28 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
heard they just round nuts off, or pins bend/break under heavy pressure, gimic tool think it was on one of those "JML" ads

Hehe, JML products, their ads are always good for a laugh Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Big Pete
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:11 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
Big Pete wrote:
but A/F stuff will fit on Whitworth anyway.
No it won't.

actually, it will, I`ve used them many times. You do need some odd sizes tho.

Big Pete
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:09 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

here

https://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Tables/WhitAF.htm

is a table of head sizes for Whit bolts.

And you are correct that normal (A/F) sizes are not an exact fit, but with a good range of AF there is something V close, which is obviously why I got away with it in the past. It must be said that the stuff I was working on was not the most delicate of kit tho.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 22:11 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who pay $100,000 for a race spec Merlin or bring their P51 by for an Annual expect me to at least have the correct tools Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:51 - 09 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollins wrote:
Does anyone remember, or own, a Gator Grip?? That all-round universal one-size-fits-all miracle wrench & sprocket which had 50 odd pins to grip nuts & bolts with? I seem to remember it was a Yank tool (no offence Smile ), advertised on the cheap in an over-the-top ad "for a limited time only".

Bought one to use to try and get the locking wheel nuts off the car when I lost the key to undo them Rolling Eyes . Unfortunatly it didn't fit so I have never used it.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2