Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit SAK9 Neutral problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

bgfs
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Bandit SAK9 Neutral problem Reply with quote

I have a Suzuki 2009 GSF650 SAK9 which has done 14,000 miles. I have a problem when selecting neutral. The bike goes into neutral (proven by letting the clutch out), but the neutral indicator doesn't come on. I have to try a number of times and sometimes a slight downward pressure (not enough to take it out of neutral) get the neutral light on. This is the second time this has happened. The first time the dealer repaired it but didn't explain what was wrong. Anyone got any ideas whats wrong and how to fix it?

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgy bulb ?
Loose connection(s) ?
Phunked sensor / switch ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bgfs
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulb is fine. My theory is the switch but how do you get at it. It would appear that the gear change is connected to a rod which connects to the gear box. How easy is it to get inside and at the switch?

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it need changing? Surely if you're in neutral, you know you're in it? Confused

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 21 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

^what about the safety circuits that cut the engine when the stand goes and the thing is in gear/not showing neutral^

i would take the snensor of and give it a good spray with contact cleaner, let it dry and check the contact etc. if they have some corrocion gently rub them with some fine wet and dry to remove the corrosion.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 21 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

orac wrote:
^what about the safety circuits that cut the engine when the stand goes and the thing is in gear/not showing neutral^

i would take the snensor of and give it a good spray with contact cleaner, let it dry and check the contact etc. if they have some corrocion gently rub them with some fine wet and dry to remove the corrosion.

KAPITALS, KAPATALS, KAPATALS. Paleeeeease

They cost the same as all the little lower-case letters.

Rolling Eyes

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 21 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

orac wrote:

Isn't that just the stand switch? Doesn't the neutral one purely show if your in neutral or not and doesn't affect the engine?

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:44 - 21 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1250 Bandit's just the same (and has the same basic engine unit).

It's done a similar mileage, too.

Where is the neutral switch on these engines? I suspect that it's just the switch getting covered with crap.

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 21 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bandit 400, it is just beside the gear linkage. Shouldn't be far from there.

On mine though, it looks like it is put in and hot glue injected around it. Maybe you can remove the whole unit or it was a bodge Idea

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 20:41 - 21 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral switch will usually consist of a circular blob with a couple of wires, mounted on the end of the gear selector drum (left side of engine under sprocket cover.

Usually two machine screws hold it in place ... has a copper/brass contact on the inner side ... selector drum has a spring and ball bearing which make contact with (guess) when in neutral.

Easy to take off and clean ... just watch out for the ball bearing ... also check the connector where it's plugged in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:46 - 22 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

the switch, clutch switch and side stand switch make most of the safety circuit, on the 400 the side stand also has reley, and there is a diod that feed the kill from the cluctch switch (if i remember correctly)

also most bike now dont have just a neutral switch, i now the v-valve 400 bandit have a gear position switch with evry gear and neutral with a copper pad. the front sprocket has to be removed to get to it. it has a small retaining bracket and 2 machine screws that hold it in place
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1