Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scooters and MOT?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

MyCarVsYourHe...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:34 - 14 Apr 2012    Post subject: Scooters and MOT? Reply with quote

What would a scooter (100cc stock) need to pass an MOT, I've been told a scooter will pass an MOT as long as the following components are working and in road worthy condition:

Indicators
Brake light & dip/main lights
Horn
Electric/Kick start
Tires
Steering Lock
Brakes

The guy who told me this never went into much detail, how do they determine whether the brakes on a scooter are road worthy, do they check how much meat are on the pads, do they check the stopping distance at xx amount of mph or something? does the bike have to start on both electric and kick start? what are the reasons a scooter would fail? from what I could gather, a 50cc scooter requires less to pass an MOT while a 100cc+ will be scrutinized during testing like every other motorcycle, is this correct?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:48 - 14 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT req's for a motorcycle are the same regardless of capacity.
There are a few guides knocking around if you google them.
Only 'Bikes' that get any 'brakes' to the MOT rules are actual 50cc mopeds, which have slightly different set of rules; for example they only need to have 'visible' tread on the tyres and the tyres dont need to be speed rates, and a few other things.
There are a number of other 'special cases'; old or antique vehicles and vehicles adapted for off-road use or for the dissabled.

As for brakes; its an 'efficiency test', they put the wheel on a rolling road and see how much the wheel slows the machine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 14 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look through the manual.

To be honest, the bike MOT is very easy to pass, and most fails are pretty easy to rectify. Braking performance is checked using a variety of methods, depending on what equipment the garage has. Normally rollers are used, but there are other methods such as putting a winch cable around the headstock and trying to drag the bike forward with the brakes applied.

In addition to the obvious stuff you've mentioned, they'll check the condition of the suspension, wheels, wheel bearings, steering head bearings, and that everything's securely bolted down. You can't have any leaks of fuel or brake fluid. Your exhaust needs to be free of major leaks and not excessively loud. If the drive belt/chain is visible, it'll be checked, but the tester's not allowed to dismantle anything, so if it's fully enclosed, it won't be tested.

Don't worry about the electric/kick start - the only requirement is that the engine will run (so the exhaust can be checked), so as long as you have some method of starting it (bump start even!) you'll be fine. The steering lock doesn't need to work, so long as it's not in danger of engaging when the bike's being ridden.

Bezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 14 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

RXS100_Chris wrote:
The steering lock doesn't need to work, so long as it's not in danger of engaging when the bike's being ridden.

"Steering lock" for the the purpose of an MOT means the side to side movement of the steering so that it doesn't trap your hands etc, not the actual locking mechanism.

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 14 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woops, got the wrong end of the stick Doh!. All the more remiss of me given that I once repaired a lock stop of a CB400N by putting a wood screw into a crack in the frame. Passed its MOT like that Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1