Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike 400 Endurance Challenge - charity cycling event.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:27 - 27 Apr 2012    Post subject: Bike 400 Endurance Challenge - charity cycling event. Reply with quote

This June I will be taking part in a charity event, one of which some of you may be interested in. Its called the Bike 400.

The challenge in essence is a 24 hour endurance event, cycling around the Prodrive race track in Warwickshire. Sounds fun no? Each team must complete at least 400 miles within the 24 hours, and with a team of just four this is going to be one hell of a challenge.

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/prodrive.jpg
https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/kenilworth-track-guide.gif

This is a large event, run by my employing company, Marks and Spencer. There will be 150 teams taking place, totalling 600 riders. The event runs over a weekend, starting at 12 noon on Saturday 30th June, with the finish being 12 noon on Sunday 1st July. The track we will be cycling round is the Prodrive circuit in Kenilworth, Warwickshire. The even itself will be open to spectators so anyone local is welcome to come and watch me struggle around the track. Embarassed (I will update more on that when I know more)

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/bike400.jpg

I believe the companies aim is to raise £1,000,000 for 3 separate cancer charities.

Breakthrough Breast Cancer - www.breakthrough.org

Action Cancer - www.actioncancer.org

Marie Keating Foundation - www.mariekeating.ie

I am going to try and keep this thread updated for anyone who would like to know. And l will hopefully get lots of pictures of the event.

This is the bike that I will be doing the challenge on:

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/photo-15.jpg

It currently has about four gears that are working and a chain made more of rust than anything else. After I have got the bike up and running I will start the training program, which consists of a lot of cycling Laughing

Thanks for having a read Thumbs Up

P.S

If anyone is interested in donating any money then here is the Just Giving link for the entire event:
https://www.justgiving.com/teams/BIKE400EnduranceChallenge

p.p.s I have asked permission to post this from the mods.
p.p.p.s Sorry about the large text, it was either that or small pictures, so I made an executive decision.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 27 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 flat miles in 6 hours? What a total piece of piss.

EDIT:

100 flat miles on a good surface in a group within 6 hours? Where is the 'challenge'?

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:21 - 27 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will need to average approx 15 mph.
Obviously this may not seem like too much of a challenge for some, but doing it through the night within 24 hours makes it challenging. Especially seeing as none of our team cycle, hence me needed to sort out my dads old bike.

Anyway, its not me who is organising or come up with the concept, I am just taking part and thought people may find it interesting.

jaisonix
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:07 - 14 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paris

I'm also doing this challenge. Apparently, we will need to be going 17 miles an hour and it is going to be very challenging to do 100 miles each overnight. I haven't cycled since I was 12 but my mates who are keen cyclists have done some city to city day trips and they say it hurts as hell and I will be tired with lack of sleep and sore bottom.

Anyway, I'm up to the challenge and it's a big one. Don't let the others spoil the fun!!

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:16 - 14 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you work properly as a team, sharing time on the front and tucking in well, you should be able to average at least 20mph. If I was doing it, I'd invest £30 on some cheapo tri bars which will make you more aerodynamic.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 13:02 - 14 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I've been thinking about this at work. 400 miles as part of a team in 24 hours???

I rode 132 miles last year in 12 hours and that included 3 cafe stops and I averaged about 14 mph over the Cotswolds.

You won't even need to ride overnight.

A more appropriate challenge would be 800 miles as a team IMO.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:11 - 14 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:
Where is the 'challenge'?

Frame is twisted. Wink

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 14 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
D O G wrote:
Where is the 'challenge'?

Frame is twisted. Wink

Not as twisted as the stem Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 320 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1