Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Push Bike Gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:14 - 20 May 2012    Post subject: Push Bike Gears Reply with quote

I have been using my dads old road bike to travel to work for the past week and have been having trouble with the gears.

When trying to select a gear for the rear derailer it doesnt feel like the cable is being engaged. So the shifter is moving freely without actually doing anything (make sense?)

But...occasionally it will engage and change the gears. This only happens when I want to change down to lower gears (larger sprockets), when changing the other way it will engage the cable straight away, but rather than changing up one gear it will skip the chain all the way to the smallest sprocket.

Any ideas anyone? Im sure it must be something to do with the cable, but would this stop the shifter engaging it at all?

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 20 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What make & model? The cable probably needs a slight adjustment, I haven't done it for ages though so I can't remember how to explain it. You'll find some guides on the internet though - try Sheldon Brown.
Remember to take the pressure off when you change gears; keep pedaling but don't stand up or you'll just crunch the gears.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:27 - 20 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bikemagic.com/gear/how-to/maintenance/rear-mech-set-up.html

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 20 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable only pulls one way so the linkages in the derailer have a spring to push it back. It sounds to me like it needs a bit of TLC, probably rusted up and just needs freeing off and the cable lubeing.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:35 - 20 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a Carrera Road Pro (Halfords jobbie), but its a fair few years old now.

I have adjusted the cable and derailleur position no end, but to the same result. It was sat for months and did gather a fair layer of rust before I used it though Confused

Could it be the mechanism inside the derailleur itself? Can they come apart for cleaning and maintenance?

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 20 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if the cable isn't moving freely.

When you want to move down sprockets you are relying on the power of the spring in the rear mech to pull the the mech down, with the chain, and the cable through the lines.

The whole thing can come apart, although I bet it is the cable gummed up in its cable outer, which is a fairly easy fix once it is apart.

If you want any help, despite my derisions of the charity event, I'd be happy to come and assist, I'm only in Soton.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 20 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and they can be a bit fiddly to setup, there is a sweet vid on youtube which I found about 3 months ago. After 6 years I can now correctly adjust my rear mech.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:37 - 20 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the offer DOG.

Charity event derisions aside, thanks for the offer. Ill see how it all goes when I take it apart on my day off.

Its liveable as it is, just a pain having to rely on a small number of gears. And the bike deciding when you can change. Laughing
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 20 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
D O G wrote:

When you want to move down sprockets you are relying on the power of the spring in the rear mech to pull the the mech down, with the chain, and the cable through the lines.

But the OP want to go the other way. Even though he wrote down, he also wrote 'Larger sprocket'. So he wants to go up, which is using the cable.

Good point, teaches me for speed reading.

Sounds to me that the whole setup needs dissassembly, lubrication and readjusting. The symptom almost sounds like the cable is way too slack.

Can you actually get it onto the largest sprockets?

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:52 - 20 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get it onto most of the sprockets yes. But the shifter only catches the cable occasionally, but when it does the cable pulls the derailleur up the sizes fine.

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:35 - 21 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

older shimano ez fire shifters ?
probably two screws holding the cover on the shifter at the front take them off and have a look inside

there is a ratchet and pawl mechanism which gets quite heavily greased from the factory and over time this grease looses is lubricating propertys so find the pawl and wiggle it back and forth and give it a good lubricate with a silicone based lube something like tf2 or gt85

from the symptoms you describe im pretty sure this will be the problem

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 21 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the de-railer/s is/are needing some lube.
WD40 to clean and washout any old lube then skoot the fookers with a bike lube.
Look for one with teflon.
It's probably stretched the mechanism now with you hauling on the shifter so may need a cable tweak too.

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:59 - 21 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
It's probably stretched the mechanism now with you hauling on the shifter so may need a cable tweak too.

if you actually read what he has described and not what other pople have replied you will realise its a shifter problem not a derailleur problem the fact it will occasionally shift onto the larger gears but otherwise feels like the lever is swinging and doing nothing and that it will shift all the way down to the bottom its is almost deffinately the pawl / pawl return spring in the shifter

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 21 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyB1989 wrote:
Walloper wrote:

if you actually read what he has described and not what other pople have replied you will realise its a shifter problem not a derailleur problem the fact it will occasionally shift onto the larger gears but otherwise feels like the lever is swinging and doing nothing and that it will shift all the way down to the bottom its is almost deffinately the pawl / pawl return spring in the shifter

I actually DID read it thanks you cheeky cunt.
It still sounds like the shifter or derailleur is needing lubricated.
Why would the pawl not work because of storage?

Pulling the cable selects higher gears and selecting the lower gears relies on the spring in the deraileur pulling the cable through the sheath etc when the selector is moved for lower gears.
If the joints in the derailleur are gummed up with shite there's not enough force for the system to operate properly.
And it is an easy fix before pulling things apart you twit.
Rolling Eyes
Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1