Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha YBR 125 Turning over but not starting. HELP!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

dayokamson
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:30 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Yamaha YBR 125 Turning over but not starting. HELP!! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm a pretty new rider...Just got my cbt but im wanting to learn about my bike and be able to fix some problems myself.
The bike wont start now.. i just fitted a new battery into it. it turns over fine and sounds as if its just about to start..
i've stopped trying now as i down want to run the battery down... any ideas what might be causing this??

This problem started about a couple weeks after i bought the bike. i also found that when i stopped at traffic lights and put the bike in neutral it would slowly cut out. so i ended up constantly revving the engine any time i had to stop. this just got worse until eventually decided not to start. (maybe this helps to explain the problem?)

i would appreciate and help & advice

Thanks in advance!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YBR 125 Turning over but not starting. HELP!! Reply with quote

dayokamson wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm a pretty new rider...Just got my cbt but im wanting to learn about my bike and be able to fix some problems myself.
The bike wont start now.. i just fitted a new battery into it. it turns over fine and sounds as if its just about to start..
i've stopped trying now as i down want to run the battery down... any ideas what might be causing this??

This problem started about a couple weeks after i bought the bike. i also found that when i stopped at traffic lights and put the bike in neutral it would slowly cut out. so i ended up constantly revving the engine any time i had to stop. this just got worse until eventually decided not to start. (maybe this helps to explain the problem?)

Thanks in advance!!

I assume by "turns over fine" you mean it goes CHUGCHUGCHUG but doesnt spark
check your spark plug clearances, it's 16mm I think and the gap should be 0.06mm
The tools should be under the seat Thumbs Up

Checked the fuses? I got my bike running with a blown fuse but it'd do that, you'd have to keep the revs up to keep the power running off the generator I think

Is this with the kick start or electric start?

Try putting a rubber handles screwdriver over the starter solenoid connections, it'll make some sparks and should start as though you're using the starter

If you're having power issues (you can see the dash and lights dimming as you use the electric start) use the kickstart, electric WHORES power and if you've tried it a lot it'll drain you dry

The manual actually says dont use the electric start for more than 10 seconds at a time max (way too much even then IMO)

Check your fuse, its coming off the battery on the right, theres a red clip thing you pull apart and the fuse should be in there, it's 15A

What year YBR is it?

dayokamson
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:09 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YBR 125 Turning over but not starting. HELP!! Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
dayokamson wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!!

I assume by "turns over fine" you mean it goes CHUGCHUGCHUG but doesnt spark
check your spark plug clearances, it's 16mm I think and the gap should be 0.06mm
The tools should be under the seat Thumbs Up

Checked the fuses? I got my bike running with a blown fuse but it'd do that, you'd have to keep the revs up to keep the power running off the generator I think

Is this with the kick start or electric start?

Try putting a rubber handles screwdriver over the starter solenoid connections, it'll make some sparks and should start as though you're using the starter

If you're having power issues (you can see the dash and lights dimming as you use the electric start) use the kickstart, electric WHORES power and if you've tried it a lot it'll drain you dry

The manual actually says dont use the electric start for more than 10 seconds at a time max (way too much even then IMO)

Check your fuse, its coming off the battery on the right, theres a red clip thing you pull apart and the fuse should be in there, it's 15A

What year YBR is it?

Thanks Alpha-9. its a 2005 and yup it just goes chugchugchug. ive bought a spark plug so gonna try to fit it on when i get back from work.

its got both kick and electric but the kick start dosent seem to do anything so i dont really use it.

Ill have a look at the fuse also. is it fairly easy to change?

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YBR 125 Turning over but not starting. HELP!! Reply with quote

dayokamson wrote:

Thanks Alpha-9. its a 2005 and yup it just goes chugchugchug. ive bought a spark plug so gonna try to fit it on when i get back from work.

its got both kick and electric but the kick start dosent seem to do anything so i dont really use it.

Cheers

Ah 2005 is the carbed model, so it should have less drain than the FI model, where you can hear the injectors whirring up when you switch the ignition on

lol the kickstart should do something, it should start the bike!
Use the kickstart mate, at least try it to get used to it incase the electric fails, which they do easily

Have you bought the right model spark plug? Have you looked at the old one? You might not even need it...

dayokamson
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:02 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YBR 125 Turning over but not starting. HELP!! Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
dayokamson wrote:

Cheers

Ah 2005 is the carbed model, so it should have less drain than the FI model, where you can hear the injectors whirring up when you switch the ignition on

lol the kickstart should do something, it should start the bike!
Use the kickstart mate, at least try it to get used to it incase the electric fails, which they do easily

Have you bought the right model spark plug? Have you looked at the old one? You might not even need it...

Havent looked at the Old spark yet... lol .i think its the right one..just told the bike shop i needed a spark for an 05 ybr.. im pretty clueless at the moment. just been googleing etc..
i tried the kickstart,... it only worked when i had got the bike running from the electric then swithed it off. maybe im not doing it properly..ill have another go later.

So i should just check out the fuse and Spark and hopefully all should be well?

Cheers

Boxing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you fit the spark plug, double check the power is off, you'll get a shock if you don't.

And if the spark plug is gone, it'd be black.

Sounds like the spark plug, so change it and then tell us how it went.

And I assume you're not kicking the starter hard enough, be careful though the kick back is a pain in the backside. You could get away with going down with the kick slowly, and as soon as you feel it jam, put your foot down hard and it'll kick up, well should. If not, the kick start shaft is probably gone.

dayokamson
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:33 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorryunlucky wrote:
When you fit the spark plug, double check the power is off, you'll get a shock if you don't.

And if the spark plug is gone, it'd be black.

Sounds like the spark plug, so change it and then tell us how it went.

And I assume you're not kicking the starter hard enough, be careful though the kick back is a pain in the backside. You could get away with going down with the kick slowly, and as soon as you feel it jam, put your foot down hard and it'll kick up, well should. If not, the kick start shaft is probably gone.

Thanks man!,

ill remember to check that. got to nip down to halfords to find the proper tools first though. (proper amateur Embarassed )
Fingers crossed it'll start and i can take it out tonight. Very Happy

Cheers!
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
Tools are under the side panel above the battery. Theres everything you need to change a sparkplug in there!

Seriously impressed at the mechanical knowledge alpha's picked up scince being on here though! Thumbs Up

Dance!
Thanks to you and others Thumbs Up
I'm more complimented by that than I probably should be Embarassed

I'm glad i've gained something!
Gone from being terrified of changing a headlight bulb to aligning my cam chain timings and helping my friend with his pushrod clearances, serious business Cool Only really know anything about my bike from the amount of times i've had to fix it after fucking up Razz

dayokamson
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:51 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
_Iain_ wrote:
Tools are under the side panel above the battery. Theres everything you need to change a sparkplug in there!

Seriously impressed at the mechanical knowledge alpha's picked up scince being on here though! Thumbs Up

Dance!
Thanks to you and others Thumbs Up
I'm more complimented by that than I probably should be Embarassed

I'm glad i've gained something!
Gone from being terrified of changing a headlight bulb to aligning my cam chain timings and helping my friend with his pushrod clearances, serious business Cool Only really know anything about my bike from the amount of times i've had to fix it after fucking up Razz

Hi Guys,

So i changed the spark plug last night and tried to fire her up but nothing..
im pretty sure i put it in correctly, even though it was a bit of a struggle at first.. Is there any way to check that the new one is on properly and working???
Also it was a bit too dark to check the fuse but ill have a look later today. Are these pretty standard also to buy? or do they vary by bike? (sorry if its a stupid question)

Thanks for all your help! Smile Smile

D

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the plug out. Stick it in the cap and rest on engine and turn the bike over. You will see it spark. Dont hold it with your hand when doing this.

dayokamson
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:19 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

1888 wrote:
Take the plug out. Stick it in the cap and rest on engine and turn the bike over. You will see it spark. Dont hold it with your hand when doing this.

Ok thanks!

ill give that a go. Anything else that might be stopping it from starting that i should try?

Cheers! Smile

D
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

dayokamson wrote:

Hi Guys,

So i changed the spark plug last night and tried to fire her up but nothing..
im pretty sure i put it in correctly, even though it was a bit of a struggle at first.. Is there any way to check that the new one is on properly and working???
Also it was a bit too dark to check the fuse but ill have a look later today. Are these pretty standard also to buy? or do they vary by bike? (sorry if its a stupid question)

Thanks for all your help! Smile Smile

D

Finger tighten then give it a quarter turn with your spark plug wrench or w/e you're using, that's all it needs

If you changed your spark plug I doubt that's the issue, if you told them your make and model and they gave you that one it's going to be right unless they fucked up, but I doubt it

Test the spark as others say, but i'd be straight at the fuses, my fuse for my 2009 YBR is 15A, yours may be the same or not I don't know, it'll say on the fuse that's in there Thumbs Up

They are pretty standard, you can get them from halfords and any good hardware/parts store (parkers etc)

Check the metal contacts inside it for breaks
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 179 days between these two posts...

dannyr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:09 - 21 Jan 2015    Post subject: ybr 125 wont fire Reply with quote

Hello Friends... i need some help. I have the yamaha ybr125 2011 fuel injection. its started to play up with not firing up it trys starting and the fuel pump wines like normal but no start Evil or Very Mad every now and then it will start if i bump it even if there is full battery if it was a carb model would be a quick fix but as its fuel injected way over mine and my old mans head... i have drained that battery trying to start with the electric start so im putting it on charge i just need my bike back.... and yes has fuel oil all that needs to be started but not happenin...... hope somone has a good cure. sorry about any miss spelling not my strong point... thanks for your time!

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 21 Jan 2015    Post subject: Re: ybr 125 wont fire Reply with quote

dannyr wrote:
Hello Friends... i need some help. I have the yamaha ybr125 2011 fuel injection. its started to play up with not firing up it trys starting and the fuel pump wines like normal but no start Evil or Very Mad every now and then it will start if i bump it even if there is full battery if it was a carb model would be a quick fix but as its fuel injected way over mine and my old mans head... i have drained that battery trying to start with the electric start so im putting it on charge i just need my bike back.... and yes has fuel oil all that needs to be started but not happenin...... hope somone has a good cure. sorry about any miss spelling not my strong point... thanks for your time!

Low battery buddy - YBR is a fucker for not having much battery then not starting, press the horn while you press the starter and look at the light and you'll see it drop as there's not enough juice

With low battery you wont be able to even bump the cunt

Upgrading to a motobatt is the first thing I upgrade on my bikes, so much better for cold starts and holding their charge and lasting, worth the £40
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1