Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are those track cycles one gear?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Srengam
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:01 - 08 Aug 2012    Post subject: Are those track cycles one gear? Reply with quote

I've cycled to work for the last 3 years until I got one with an engine recently (we moved from a 4 mile commute to a 15 mile commute), but I've really liked watching it at the olympics, wouldn't mind giving the short length races and sprint a go.

Their's a hill up the lane from our house, a good 400 or 500 metres with a steady slight gradient. I reckon if I was to go up it as fast as I can, say 3 times a day with 30 mins break in between each sprint, I'd be as fast as Street Hawk within a year (I'm already pretty quick after 3 years of giving it some beans up a decent hill until we moved).

So is it one gear I need to use for practicing if I actually decide to give it a go?

mooserx
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:06 - 08 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they are of a fixed wheel style as opposed to a single gear, so no freewheeling, constant pedaling, hence why when they finish the race they are still pumping their legs like billy-o.

Teaman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 08 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are fixed gear and built around a riders preference. Gear ratios and working out how far the bike travels forward with one complete turn then working out how many turns to win and base your training around that is loony.
Sold a few Orbit track bikes as the owner of Orbit owned us (Freewheel)and have ridden in Manchester velodrome and might I say its scary. when your not used to it.
the tubeless tyres are pumped up to pressures far above the "safe" rating to reduce friction and I honestly believe that some people go to watch in the hope of a blowout or crash.

Oh and if you do try to stop peddling it just tries to throw you off the bike.
I used to see a bloke in Sheffield riding a fixed gear everywhere around town. nerves of steel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:05 - 08 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixies are quite good fun.

I'm currently riding singlespeed and thoroughly enjoy the simplicity of it. I may progress to fixed gear once my fitness level increases because I do like the smoothness of progress they give.

Sheldon Brown has a lot to say on the subject and knows what he's talking about.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixeda.html

You can have some real fun making yourself a fixie too. Most big towns have a bicycle re-cycling charity place. Pop down and see if you can pick yourself up a tasty 1970's racer frame in reynolds 531 tubing with horizontal dropouts.

Fit a flip-flop rear wheel. Get the chainline sorted and attach a nice new double-acting front calliper.

Tarting:
My single speed Specialized mountain bike.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/CIMG0722.jpg
My single speed 1973 Puch Alpine road bike:
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/1CIMG0589.jpg
Mrs stinkwheels 1976 Raleigh Competition fixie
https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/katsfixie.jpg

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 08 Aug 2012    Post subject: Re: Are those track cycles one gear? Reply with quote

Srengam wrote:
ITheir's a hill up the lane from our house, a good 400 or 500 metres with a steady slight gradient. I reckon if I was to go up it as fast as I can, say 3 times a day with 30 mins break in between each sprint, I'd be as fast as Street Hawk within a year (I'm already pretty quick after 3 years of giving it some beans up a decent hill until we moved).

So is it one gear I need to use for practicing if I actually decide to give it a go?

I think perhaps your proposed training regime may be somewhat lacking.

If you really want to give it a go, you'll need to find your local velodrome. They normally have intro sessions, as it would be a bit crazy to have to buy a proper track bike before you even get to see if you like it.

I had a go at my local velodrome and it is fantastic. I don't have enough time to give it a decent go tho, since I'd rather go out on my road bike then have to waste time driving to/from the track.

Bred2shred
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:56 - 08 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Oh no, your not one of THEM are you stinkwheel?

Very Happy

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 18:06 - 08 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has a 'Sun Solo' Racing bike in the Garage I was thinking about getting another set of wheels for my mountain bike to do some road stuff but cleaning that up should be cheaper!

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 08 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaman wrote:
as the owner of Orbit owned us (Freewheel)

Still Madison? If so say hello to uncle Billy Baxter for me. Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:12 - 08 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bred2shred wrote:

Very Happy

You will notice the fixie I made has brakes, conventional handlebars and foot retention. It does not have spoke cards nor does it have stickers all over it. It's very much set up like a traditional track bike from the 70's or 80's before aluminium and carbon fibre became popular.

Mrs stinkwheel does a lot of cycling. She's off now on her titanium-framed racer bike but she uses the fixie for shorter journeys because it's simple and it helps massively with her cadence and knee strength.

I cycled 25 miles on the Puch the other day though, which for me is an unheard of level of physical effort. You get the gearing right and you really don't need all those extra ones. If I have to get off and push up a hill, I'd probably be quicker walking than pedalling in a low gear anyway.

I've not tried out the mountain bike down a proper track yet but from pootling about in the field behind the house, it should be really fast.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:15 - 08 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
My dad has a 'Sun Solo' Racing bike in the Garage I was thinking about getting another set of wheels for my mountain bike to do some road stuff but cleaning that up should be cheaper!

Just do yourself a huge favour and get a sealed bottom bracket for the thing. Looks like the few on ebay have cotterless cranks so it should be a straight swap once you know the length.

The other really useful upgrade you can do is to fit double pivot brake callipers.

Srengam
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:42 - 08 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, nearest velodrome is pretty far away, I could probably commit to once every other week at that distance for practice.

If I did get the passion for it then obviously I'd up it for event prep etc (thinking way far ahead now, I'm sure somebody who comuted for 3 years on a bike won't stand much of a chance for a few years), but you never know, I'm pretty fast, fit and strong (done kettlebells since before they were really heard of over here so in pretty good condition).

I'll see about getting down to watch the next session Very Happy

Teaman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 10 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Teaman wrote:
as the owner of Orbit owned us (Freewheel)

Still Madison? If so say hello to uncle Billy Baxter for me. Wink

Orbit cycles up city road in sheffield.
owned by Simon Gershwin or whatever his second name was lol
as far as I remember (17 years ago)
he also did those crystal recumbents.
https://www.hembrow.eu/personal/dscf2578.jpg
must have been dafter than owt to ride them in sheffield.

Madison was our main supplier so could have been a slight altercation of the truth on his part
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 10 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bred2shred wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Very Happy

hahah, first think I thought of when I heard the word 'fixie' Laughing Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1