Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cyclists attitude gets owned by the Police

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 17 Aug 2012    Post subject: Cyclists attitude gets owned by the Police Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK00wAF-tRI&feature=related

I think what we can take from this is that:
All the jumped up little pricks that go round screaming number plates out loud on camera for cars that have just gone through an amber traffic light,

are massive wimps!

He gives it the billy big guns and then..

'Ok sorry' Laughing

Thumbs Up

Last edited by bikertomm on 09:35 - 22 Aug 2012; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:21 - 17 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, that copper was bang out of order, he blatantly carved the cyclist up.

I'd have "Made a scene." in those circumstances.

Starting by reminding him that the conversation is being filmed and following it up with a lecture on courteous and legal behaviour for changing lanes.

I have absolutely NO qualms about giving a copper a bollocking if he's in the wrong. I may even have followed it up with a visit to the station in person to discuss the issue with his duty sergeant.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 17 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The copper was indicating, and didn't exactly cut him up... he moved across fairly slowly and with quite a gap between them

the cyclist could see the cop car was infront, indicating, and just had to slow down slightly and all that would have been avoided, he should stop whinging

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:32 - 17 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to take issue with that since they gave plenty of room in the overtake and didn't actually cause the pedalist to change speed or direction. But on re-watching, the plodmobile was indicating left and braking while still overtaking, which is a sign of "my time is more important, must get past, it's only a fucking pedalist anyway" dickhead behaviour.

Although that said, it is hilarious listening to the whiny lycra clad buffoon realise his whinging monologue has just turned into a dialogue.

So honours even, I think. Set bears on both of them.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 17 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, yeah to be honest the Police were not 100 percent in the right. Highway code would probably have said to hang back if you are turning left.

Still, just liked the massive change in attitude! Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:54 - 17 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben-B wrote:
The copper was indicating, and didn't exactly cut him up... he moved across fairly slowly and with quite a gap between them

the cyclist could see the cop car was infront, indicating, and just had to slow down slightly and all that would have been avoided, he should stop whinging

So indicators give you right of way now do they?

The copper was changing lane. If the vehicle which was occupying that lane hadn't taken evasive action by braking and swerving, there would have been a collision.

He was driving like a twat and if someone carved me up like that on any vehicle, I'd have been livid.

If nothing else, the copper was putting on a display of shockingly poor obs. If his intention had been to turn left he nedn't have bothered overtaking. If it wasn't, there was no need for his manouver at all, he could have stayed in the lane he was in.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 17 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ben-B wrote:

The copper was changing lane. If the vehicle which was occupying that lane hadn't taken evasive action by braking and swerving, there would have been a collision.

He was driving like a twat and if someone carved me up like that on any vehicle, I'd have been livid.

If nothing else, the copper was putting on a display of shockingly poor obs. If his intention had been to turn left he nedn't have bothered overtaking. If it wasn't, there was no need for his manouver at all, he could have stayed in the lane he was in.

Cyclist neither needed to brake nor swerve, merely ease back on his speed slightly.

Not saying copper was right, and didn't say indicators give you right of way, but they DO show to others your intentions, cyclist was just acting like a dick.

Yeah copper should have been more patient and waited, but two wrongs don't make a right.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:07 - 18 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben-B wrote:

Cyclist neither needed to brake nor swerve, merely ease back on his speed slightly.

Why should he?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:36 - 18 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's borderline. It looks like he didn't have to change speed until they were past (and slowing for the turn), but they were braking while still overtaking.

Whether that's careless, it is inconsiderate, and I'd be fairly confident that if you did that on a driving test, it would result in you hearing "I'm sorry to tell you, Mr Fingerwag, that..."

Either way, the lycra-ist is a pussy, and his position should have been "Exactly what crime am I committing by expressing my opinion on your inconsiderate, arrogant driving? Speak up, for the camera."

There's very little legislation that allows coppers to victimise pedalists, unlike motor vehicles, so even if he failed the Attitude Test, what were they going to do to him? Wag their fingers a second time?

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:04 - 18 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the part when mr plod says the cyclist is subject to the same rules of the road as everyone else. Thats the point where I would have asked if the plod were too. Then suggest the plod go learn the highway code.

Quote:
When turning
• keep as close to the left as is safe and practicable
• give way to any vehicles using a bus lane, cycle lane or tramway from either direction

I remember a question in my theory about that very thing. The correct answer was slow down and allow the cyclist right of way. .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:11 - 18 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

There's very little legislation that allows coppers to victimise pedalists, unlike motor vehicles, so even if he failed the Attitude Test, what were they going to do to him? Wag their fingers a second time?

You can be done for "Wanton and Furious cycling" under the Offences Against the Person act 1861.

The first person to build and ride a pedal driven bicycle in 1842 knocked down a pedestrian and was fined five shillings.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 18 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Probably a bit on the strong side, it's hardly a carve up. A bit inconsiderate, maybe, but hardly the end of the world.

Hardly something to get massively irate about either way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

raak
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:05 - 18 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmhh..i first thought car was taking 1st turning coming up,
(ne entry...but as plod may have turned in if on an emergency with NO blues on)

So had indicated early and maybe that was what got our lad all fired up.

BUT chappie should have caught that and slowed

then the point made that the cyclist should pull out to overtake the car,
( that maybe should have waited before overtaking him, IF it was then only going to turn right)
is a wee bit more dangerous on a cycle in towns.

can see why he stayed behind car and moaned instead

if i was in car behind i think i might have thought PC was a bit of a dufus for pulling past only to slow and left turn so soon... Rolling Eyes

sure we had it on here regards some van and caravan, that over takes should only be done IF it is safe to do so and doesn't impeded other drivers.

our PC driver should have just waited a few seconds... Thumbs Up

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 18 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the filth changing lane, or changing lane to then try and take that left turn .. but then carried on to moan at the pushbiker ... Confused Question

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 13:28 - 18 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The policeman appeared to say, if i cut in front of you, you slow down, you obey the same laws as a motorbike etc.

If he seriously pulled the cyclist for that, its completely daft.

Him cutting up the cyclist may not have been the crime of the century, but him then telling off the cyclist for not slowing down, and instead overtaking, is daft.

It reminds me of the cop car who pulled me over after he had been in the wrong filter lane on the approach to a roundabout.

Ultimately apologising to a stupid policeman who is in the wrong is a lot easier than trying to convince a stupid policeman that he was in the wrong.

I like Stinks approach but I seriously doubt a duty sergeant would give a shit.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:31 - 18 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben-B wrote:
the cyclist could see the cop car was infront, indicating, and just had to slow down slightly

He shouldn't 'have to'.

Last I checked, the guideline for making manoeuvres of any description while driving* is to drive in a manner that does not cause other vehicles to change speed or direction.

*INB4 pedantry - this also applies to riding

promufa
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:41 - 18 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben-B wrote:

AFAIK, a safe overtake/lane change is considered one when any other vehicles around you DO NOT have to alter their direction or speed. Nobody has to give you the right of way in this situation. It was the coppers fault. The cyclist (much as I hate them) should not have to slow down/swerve/break or do anything to let the copper through.

Ben-B wrote:
Not saying copper was right, and didn't say indicators give you right of way, but they DO show to others your intentions, cyclist was just acting like a dick.

The coppers intention was to be a dick and turn in front of another vehicle cutting them off / forcing them to take action. The fact that he indicated only let the cyclist know that he was about to do something idiotic.

Ben-B wrote:
Yeah copper should have been more patient and waited, but two wrongs don't make a right.

He should have waited behind him and that's it... The only 2 wrongs I see is that he cut the bike off and to the insult he hassled him for it. Unacceptable...

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 18 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but people on the road are always gonna be doing silly, inconsiderate or downright dangerous things on the road...

This wasn't a particularly close call, it wasn't like he nearly knocked the guy off his bike. If you get that wound up that easily by something that isn't really that big a deal, then your life is probably quite stressful and miserable.

Life's too short to worry about the small things like that. And cycling in a city (especially when you're not prepared to slow down slightly because a car is being impatient and overtaking you before turning) could make life significantly shorter.

What if it had been a bus or a lorry that wasn't indicating... and he was undertaking it rather than being overtaken?
Driver would be wrong for not indicating, but not necessarily negligent in checking their mirrors.
Sure the cyclist might have been in the right, but better to be alive than right but dead.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 18 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the other thing to note is that there is shit loads of cyclists travelling in that direction.

It could have been the same situation no matter how he turned left!

I've seen this on here somewhere before.. 'The right driver in London often gets nowhere'

I'm not saying be a cunt, just things like that, it's not the end of the world. And should try to be expected and avoided.

Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:45 - 18 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Hardly something to get massively irate about either way.

He's a pedalist with a camera, the whole point is to get irate. That's what makes it so delicious, they both came out of it looking like the angry, ignorant, self righteous bell-ends that they are. Very Happy

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:18 - 20 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben-B wrote:

So if this happened to you on your motorbike you'd be perfectly fine with it?

Don't think so. I wouldn't.

I got cut up by a pratt in a vectra in the same way once. I called him a wanker, he then got back in his car and tried to kill me.

You can't be the smallest thing on the road and shout at bigger things. You've got the most to lose, it's all very well being 'right' but if you're sitting thinking about how you could of just braked, called them a wanker in your head and enjoyed 6 weeks of cycling instead of 6 weeks of hospital visits and casts then.. well.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 20 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple wrote:
Ben-B wrote:

So if this happened to you on your motorbike you'd be perfectly fine with it?

Don't think so. I wouldn't.

I got cut up by a pratt in a vectra in the same way once. I called him a wanker, he then got back in his car and tried to kill me.

You can't be the smallest thing on the road and shout at bigger things. You've got the most to lose, it's all very well being 'right' but if you're sitting thinking about how you could of just braked, called them a wanker in your head and enjoyed 6 weeks of cycling instead of 6 weeks of hospital visits and casts then.. well.

Firstly if i was on my motorbike i'd be going fast enough that there wasn't a need to overtake me, so if I was being overtaken it'd be either illegal due to the other person speeding, or driving quicker than the traffic flow.

I find it happens all the time on the work mopeds though, even if I'm doing 28 on a 30 road, cars will still try to overtake, maybe it's because the peds have L plates on them, I don't know, but in essence they treat you like a cyclist and can't stand to be behind you, even if you're not holding them up (relative to the speed limit). (I've even had cars overtake me going downhill when I've been on the 2-strokes, so hitting 40-45 and they're still desperate to get past at that speed)

So yeah it happens to me a lot, usually they give me a lot less room than that copper gave the cyclist. If I got too annoyed every time that happened, then I couldn't handle doing it, life is much easier if you do things like slow down slightly and completely defuse any potential incident rather than get wound up and start shouting shit.

And like I said, better to be alive, than right and dead

tahrey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 21 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben-B wrote:

I find it happens all the time on the work mopeds though, even if I'm doing 28 on a 30 road, cars will still try to overtake, maybe it's because the peds have L plates on them, I don't know, but in essence they treat you like a cyclist and can't stand to be behind you, even if you're not holding them up (relative to the speed limit). (I've even had cars overtake me going downhill when I've been on the 2-strokes, so hitting 40-45 and they're still desperate to get past at that speed)

It's the general rule of the road ... no matter how fast you're going ... there'll always be some cockend wanting to go faster.

Usually it's me Mr. Green But I take pains not to be an asshole about it. It's not johnny random cyclist / restricted moped / other clean and relatively legal road-user's fault I'm in a rush after all. Leave space, bide yer time, and if it becomes necessary to pass, do so with plenty of room to spare in all directions.

And in my turn when I'm cruising (generally at +5.0 to 9.5% by GPS... knowing both what general city traffic is like, and how the speed cameras are set), in car or on bike, I still attract a fair share of tailgating, inappropriately overtaking gits. The big valley which my flat is at the top of one side of is pretty good for that... one time in the distant past, possibly before I even got my car license (pre millennium) it was a 40mph road... like quite a few otherwise decent connecting roads round here, it was then summarily dropped to 30. In this case, arguably justified as a fairly well trafficked urban park's main path crosses it right at the bottom, with a set of toucan lights, and it has a couple of sweeping bends made effectively blind by rises and pavement obstacles. An enormous part of the local population still don't seem to have taken the hint, and think you should be doing 45+... so, you coast down it in 4th or whatever, having changed down at the top of the hill... picking up a little speed from low to mid 30s, and you get just so much aggro... tailgating, once even a flash and beep, occasional overtakes culminating in hammering on the brakes for the crossing...

The most particularly baffling recent example of that mindset being someone in an Almera (a car that's on my list of "cars driven by people who don't actually like driving or care about their on-road behaviour" ... sorry if that includes you, it's not personal) who was right up my jacks for about two miles whilst noodling along in the flow of traffic on a different urban A-road ... 25ish to bang on 30, someone's granny up front, s'cool, just going to pick up some sundries from the supermarket. Road's always been 30 but feels like it should be quicker despite it being for all intents and purposes a residential street.

Ends up I'm at the head of the queue at a red light. Boot it hard off the line, rev out in first, hit second whilst still on the turbo... get up to about 33, clutch in, into drop into fifth, hold that speed and keep well to the left. Takes him another half mile to catch up. Dithers for a moment despite there being nothing coming the other way until I wave my hand in a sort of "well, come on then?" motion, and he drifts past in the most noncommittal overtake ever. Maybe gets up to maybe 40 at best. Ekes through an amber light ahead of me, which I stop for. Catch him back up at the next red.

What the actual fuck. If you're in that much of a hurry, then, for pity's sake, why aren't you hurrying? I'm in a poxy little TDi FFS, it's not like I'm going to run any 10-second quarters, do try to keep up...

Same as the folk who must be continentals trapped in the bodies of brits because they seem to think their natural position should be in the right-hand lane at all times on multilane roads. Regardless of the speed limit, their speed, how well occupied the other lane(s) is/are, whether they're actually overtaking, what's in front and behind of them etc. Then get humongously pissed off if you then undertake them in a fit of pique but at a legal speed without showing any visible emotion. Especially if you then pull back out to continue overtaking the stuff they're keeping formation with.

Basically, they're everywhere. Don't let it bother you too much. You just attract a greater proportion of them because you're either on a slow machine, or appear to be, and it's like a red flag. They must be absolute terrors to cyclists, mobile mowers or granny-scooters.

The most "fun" of that type is to be had limping a knackered but not yet immobilised/totally unroadworthy machine to and from garages (or at least a place of safety on a road with precious few of them). Even if you're running on hazards with one corner noticably bobbing up and down, or are leant over the bars with the remnants of your back tyre flopping about, or have the most horrendous racket coming from the engine and they've already witnessed you declining to overtake stopped buses then creeping away from the lights with other people overtaking, something just doesn't click inside their brain ... duhh ... it's a car / quick-ish looking bike ... why's it only going as fast as a moderately fit cyclist? What are those funny flashing lights? Why's that person doing circus tricks? Should I be getting angry about this, or just pass by swiftly and safely on this fairly quiet dual carriageway? Erm ... buhhh... shit, I'd better phone someone and find out.

As for the coppers, I think they're drilled into the habit of never, ever admitting any kind of mistake, lapse of judgement or other wrongdoing, no matter how minor, major, forgiveable or catastrophic. I always remember chasing down a pair in a panda car who must have been late for their tea break... Rainy night, and I'm about to pull out from a side street onto a narrow but important connecting B-road - lots of 2-way traffic, lots of parked cars on each side, several bends and side roads - when they hurtle past in my intended direction at what is decidedly more than the usual pace. No blues & twos or anything. Curiosity well and truly ensnared I fire up the 1-litre equivalent of afterburners and give chase to see what interesting emergency could be. Catch up best I can and tail them from a distance on one section at about 55 (it's a 30) before bottling it and backing off. But at the next red light ... there they are. So, emergency? I'm having this. Window down, pull alongside, beep on the horn... Excuse me sir... is this your vehicle... can you tell me how fast you were going back there? Think it's appropriate given the speed limit and prevailing road conditions? If you're on an emergency run, where's your lights and siren and why are you stopped?

They weren't exactly best pleased at this line of enquiry it must be said. Got a bunch of brushoffs and veiled threats (I'd have been happy with a jokey "yes, sorry about that, won't happen again"), then when the lights changed they fucked off to the right whilst I continued straight on. Should've got the plate, really, but this was before the days of trackers and continual in-car video for non-interceptor vehicles anyway...

Can't say the attitude's been much better most other times I've had dealings, except strangely for the ones who've pulled me over on random occasions ... they seem almost embarrassed at having to do it.

U_W v2.0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 22 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

"this conversation is being recorded with video and audio as is my legal right to do so, please state your name and officer number as this will be going through to the complaints department. your maneuver was both dangerous and inconsiderate as well as going against any advice given within the highway code. any further action from yourselfs will result in further damages coming to you from the complaints procedure"

would most likely have shut them up

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 22 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually_Wrong wrote:
"this conversation is being recorded with video and audio as is my legal right to do so, please state your name and officer number as this will be going through to the complaints department. your maneuver was both dangerous and inconsiderate as well as going against any advice given within the highway code. any further action from yourselfs will result in further damages coming to you from the complaints procedure"

would most likely have shut them up

I would love to see how you will deal with when being dealt with for a relatively minor offence. I can see it turning into you doing time - you have got a big mouth and a small brain!

If you think a statement like that is a clever idea, you go, girl. Let's see you actually do it, on camera, posted up here and see whether or not Mr. Plod either backs down as you think, or slowly and carefully tears you a new asshole.

If you were the guy in the video, you would do exactly the same, right down to the part where he pissed his pants and said 'sorry officer, I want my mummy'.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2