Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mountain bike brakes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Mountain bike brakes Reply with quote

Hi,

Need a bit of help with my Juicy 7 front brake. Im running a 160 front rotor (wanting to go to 180 but i need to get the calliper working again first) and after my last ride i noticed the front brake was dragging big time. It ruined my ride, especially as i knew it was going to be my last for months (I'm now four months in to a house renovation). I ordered a set of pads from superstar the other week as i knew they were very worn. It took me ages to fit them as they just wouldn't slide in in the 'sandwich' with the spring so i had to put them in one by one using two allen keys to negotiate the spring for the second pad.

I had pushed the pistons in as far as i could get them. They were hard to push in requiring me to use two pliers one either side of each piston so i could exert an even force on the piston. When pressing the lever without the pads in the pistons move freely however.

Anyway they were a git to get over the disc and when fitted are still dragging just like my old pads. I have slackened off the mounting bolts and pressed the lever before tightening to align the calliper but to no avail. I went out to try and bed them in thinking i could wear the affecting area of the pad off but after 10 minutes of accelerating and braking i was knackered! Im not sure whether this was due to the four month absence or the fact my front was dragging so much! (im hoping it was the latter)

I know people have trouble with these brakes so im posting here to try and get a bit of help really. Having said that i used these all through the winter without a problem so they cant be that bad!

Thanks for any help

Harry
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

Rockhopper
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:52 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Hope man but I've had trouble with Superstar pads (and so have many others) being slightly thicker than most other brands. I had to get some wet and dry on the back of mine just so i could get the wheel in. They might be cheap but I'll never buy them again.

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a hope m4 rear!

Someone else said that but its the same issue as before i replaced them from official avid ones. I may try and clean the pistons.
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

Frog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:49 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they dragging constantly, or intermittently?

Intermittently is a warped disc,so straighten it out, and it should be good-o.

If constantly, it sounds like crap stopping the piston going back properly. Strip, clean, back together. I'm guessing you'll then need to bleed them Sad

Oh, and is there any adjustment on the levers you can wind off?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:20 - 04 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is a pad adjustment but its wound all of the way out. It's a constant drag. If i lift the front up i literally cant get the wheel to free wheel its far too tight.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1