Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Touring - Do I hire?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:54)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Touring - Do I hire? Reply with quote

My parents live on the South Coast of Spain. I've always fancied riding trough Europe (or at least some of it), but I'm not really sure that I'm up to a huge ride like that on an out-and-out sports bike. Anymore than a few hours on the bike and I ache as it is.

I've considered hiring something like a VFR800 and doing the trek on that. Anyone have any experience of this? Any advice? Where's a good place to hire bikes for something like that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:48 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Depending on the cost of hiring it might be an idea. However it might be easier to buy a cheaper "sensible" bike, use it for the holiday and then sell it afterwards.

All the best

Keith

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Depending on the cost of hiring it might be an idea. However it might be easier to buy a cheaper "sensible" bike, use it for the holiday and then sell it afterwards.

It's an idea, but a bit of hassle... and I'd be paranoid about it breaking down all the time!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most bike hire places I've seen have quite ridiculous 'per mile' charges, after their (pretty low) maximum mileage has been reached.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:19 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dependant on quite how much riding you're planning on doing and what type of riding I'd be tempted to say use your GSXR750. Mr. Green

Make sure it's in good condition before you leave and get yourself some European breakdown cover and you should be sorted.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Dependant on quite how much riding you're planning on doing and what type of riding I'd be tempted to say use your GSXR750. Mr. Green

Very Happy

I honestly think that 1500 miles (each way) would kill me on that! Plus I'd probably have my girlfriend on the back (she wants to go, but not do the riding!) I think I'd need something a bit more.... "comfy" (Christ, now I'm starting to sound old Sad ) !

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nkd666 wrote:
Most bike hire places I've seen have quite ridiculous 'per mile' charges, after their (pretty low) maximum mileage has been reached.

There was an article on this in last weeks MCN, none of those asked charged per mile. Mind you it wasnt cheap for the bikes. It looked ok for a weekend blast but if your off for a few weeks it'll soon add up.

RSixer03
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:52 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My parents live on the South Coast of Spain. I've always fancied riding trough Europe (or at least some of it), but I'm not really sure that I'm up to a huge ride like that on an out-and-out sports bike. Anymore than a few hours on the bike and I ache as it is.

I took an R6 to the states and went coast to coast, so i would say take your bike you will have a lot of fun! Thumbs Up

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 00:01 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my zx6 down to monte carlo and italy in july this year, and it was ok...but it was a little hard work....but thats probably down to the rest of the group insisting on cruising at 130mph Confused

The worst part for my was my 1-piece suit...it was hell it really was uncomfortable after a few hours in the same position in the heat down south Laughing so i would definitely recommend a 2-piece...also fit a shot oiler to your bike as a last bit of advice, i managed to seize a link in my chain just out side of a place called grenoble (just edge of french alps) i put my oiler on purge for a few miles...and managed to save the chain Laughing

Have fun Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:06 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
I honestly think that 1500 miles (each way) would kill me on that! Plus I'd probably have my girlfriend on the back (she wants to go, but not do the riding!) I think I'd need something a bit more.... "comfy" (Christ, now I'm starting to sound old Sad ) !

Have a read over this thread as McJam and Karen Moomin went touring in France on a ZX6R.

If you're going to have a pillion then using a touring bike will make it much easier for both of you, but see if you can persuade her to do her DAS and ride rather than go pillion. Razz

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 00:11 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but in fairness the zx6 is far more comfortable than the race focused gsxr Laughing

i did 2200 miles on mine in one week in france i felt like i had been hit by a train Laughing

saying that most of the guys in the group of riders i went with where on some crazy stuff Laughing gixxer 1000, mille R mv f4 and track bikes etc..... they seemed to be ok...i just thought they were menal.....or freackeshly double jointed Laughing

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
see if you can persuade her to do her DAS and ride rather than go pillion. Razz

She's got a licence, and an NC30 ( Exclamation ) she just doesn't fancy riding that far.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:22 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Get the ferry direct to Spain.

All the best

Keith

ratcliffe
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:41 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can hire tourers from the dealers quite often at a reasonable rate. It would also give you a great chance to try one out and compare it to your normal bike. If you aren't going over for a long time I would look at this route as a chance to try a different bike...

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

GL 500/650/700s (80s silverwings) go for about £7/800 and less , in good condition it will carry you for thousands of miles fuss free, all you "might" need are tyres and an oil change...

I'd be supprised if you could rent a touring bike for less...

Not much of a looker but comfyer than a very comfy thing... with a passenger scratching will be dificult on anything Sad

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:29 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you hire something when you get there?
Maybe your parents can find somewhere?

I only comment as a colleague has a Spanish holiday villa and just hires a Harley whenever he feels the need.

HTH Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 12:41 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it done on't gixer ya big jessy!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1