Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

help with a mountain bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

mivster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:35 - 11 Sep 2012    Post subject: help with a mountain bike Reply with quote

help needed as i know nothing about them
ive just bought a 2nd hand mountain bike its a marin rift zone it looks as though its a good bike
i need a few parts from what i can see
it needs both brake levers and a left hand gear changer and chain movey thing
and the forks are seized solid can these be unseized they say zoom on the side i assume this is the make or do i need to get new ones???
also it has a front disc brake but no caliper and normal brakes is it worth getting a caliper or just stick to normal brakes

if anyone can help with info or has some cheap parts to sell id be more than grateful this will be my first ever push bike with gears
last bike i rode was my amaco mongoose in the late 80s so well out of touch

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:11 - 11 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest oppinion?

Sounds like you just bought a totally screwed money sink from your description.

You are aware these are a downhill bike? Is that what you were after?

The frame is probably worth a bit though but it sounds like you're looking at buying new brakes all round, a rear deralieur and shifter, probably forks and if those are all knackered, I'd be asking serious questions about what else is screwed on it.

How much are you looking at spending because you could easily go up to and beyond £500 for that lot.

Might be worth looking at getting a good second hand groupset (so all the drivetrain componants) and a set of forks. The brakes you fit will depend on the type of forks.

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 11 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rift zone is more all mountain/light freeride and should not have those crappy zoom forks on.you will be needing a fork with atleast 160mm (6") travel maybe 170mm to suit the geometry of the frame.it would be worth spending on on a complete new gear set and brakes to make a decent bike from it...

Chain reaction cycles is your friend plus there is a sale on Thumbs Up

Chain reaction cycles

mivster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:10 - 11 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info ill have a look around on feebay and the likes for cheap parts and defo look at Chain reaction cycles
i paid £20 for the bike and was hopin £80 of cheap parts to make in rideable im only using it to ride to and from work to try n get a bit fitter
all the rear gears on the bike are working ok

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 11 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second what Stickwheel said - Sounds like you bought a money pit.

The Marin Rift Zone has been a current model for over 15 years and has had many revisions too by the way. Any ideas what year/shape it is?

If I were you I'd sell the frame as it's worth what you paid for it assuming it has a rear shock and is in decent condition (even the 90's one), bin the rest then just start again and look for a hardtail for cycling to and from work and some trail centre use. Get help when buying though so you don't buy another potential money pit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1